poor build quality rocco

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
motorsportmatt
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: cruise, interlagos, 510rds,

poor build quality rocco

Post by motorsportmatt »

After being a vw owner and driver for the last 20 years any only 'straying' once and that was for a audi TT ive come to realise quickly that vw have to raise the game with reliability and attention to detail, this new scirocco rattles, squeeks, fails and falls apart. the tailgate feels flimsy even the bonnet stays up with a litttle rod! come on vw, for a twenty plus grand car your going to have to try a lot lot harder than looking good to tempt me to buy another one..........
scirocco1974
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: truffle leather, dvd satnav,cruise,folding mirrors, winter pack and bluetooth phone kit, dyna audio

Re: poor build quality rocco

Post by scirocco1974 »

you must have a dodgy roc mine has been the most solid car i have had and the best quality no squeeks no rattles at all agree about the rod holding the bonnet though
ImageNeuspeed P-Flo Kit APR stage 1 remap
juniorbanks
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Post by juniorbanks »

The only rattle on mine is the tax disc holder when it needs tightening, I came from Ford to VW now that's a plastic loving company! even the RS sucks internally which is what strayed me to the Roc, where I thought the build quality was good. Been driving mine for over a year now and not had anything 'touch wood' go wrong with it !! The only small gripe I have is the passenger door, the handle feels weak when you pull on it !
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Happy with mine :-)
peter.vw
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Post by peter.vw »

I have had mine for 16 months in that time its been back to the dealer 3 times some minor and one when the exhaust came away from the manifold, I now have a windscreen that has a defect and is detrimental to driving in certain conditions.
This is my first VW my last was a Honda and is all I had to do was service it
Having said that I enjoy driving the car it’s just a shame that detail seems to have been given second place
bleedsoff
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Sumatra
Options: Truffle Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, DAB and Flat Tyre Indicator!:)

Post by bleedsoff »

Happy with mine and considering Audi and VW use the same parts, surprised really there much difference.
AndyInGlasgow
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Xenons, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Mats, Flat Tyre Indicator.

Post by AndyInGlasgow »

I must admit that the "legendary" VW build quality has not quite lived up to expectations for me! It's mainly the fit of the trim, the cabin is full of rattles and squeaks.

Slowly one by one I am identifying them, and padding with sticky felt! There is also a rattle from the parcel shelf but have yet to work out how in particular it makes the noise. Removing the parcel shelf fixes the problem but it's hardly convenient.

The most difficult rattle to find was between two pieces of trim in the drivers footwell that run round from the centre console. They would vibrate off each other.

The more you look under the dash you quickly become aware how rather shoddy things are screwed together and how cheap some of the plastic is!

Apart form that I love the car.
Algoz66
In: Candy White
Options: Lugano 19in Alloys, Sunroof, DVD, Navigation, Optical Parking Sensors, Bluetooth, Black Vienna Leather, electric folding mirrors, REVO Stage 1

Post by Algoz66 »

I have no complaints - you should try driving a Peugeot!
Tolkan

Post by Tolkan »

Or a Swift :O
Richard A
Options: SatNav, Winter Pack, Flat Tyre Indicator, Bi-Xenons

Post by Richard A »

AndyInGlasgow wrote:I must admit that the "legendary" VW build quality has not quite lived up to expectations for me! It's mainly the fit of the trim, the cabin is full of rattles and squeaks.

Slowly one by one I am identifying them, and padding with sticky felt! There is also a rattle from the parcel shelf but have yet to work out how in particular it makes the noise. Removing the parcel shelf fixes the problem but it's hardly convenient.

The most difficult rattle to find was between two pieces of trim in the drivers footwell that run round from the centre console. They would vibrate off each other.

The more you look under the dash you quickly become aware how rather shoddy things are screwed together and how cheap some of the plastic is!

Apart form that I love the car.
Sounds similar to mine, quite a few buzzes/rattles when driving on coarser grade tarmac, which is reasonably common down here in Hampshire. I'm also trying to figure out how to fix one emanating from the parcel shelf. I also have one that comes and goes, it's from the trim covering the upper driver's seatbelt mounting point. Pressing on the trim kills the sound, so I guess it's a case of squeezing some felt in there at some point.

More annoying is a harshness in the exhaust note which has developed in the last couple of months. I would guess it's due to a loosening heat shield somewhere because sometimes there's a very load reverb when crawling in traffic in first gear, just above tickover. Trouble is, it comes and goes, so I'm waiting for it to really establish itself before taking it back to the dealer.

Great car, but the quality issues have been a tad disappointing.
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

Had mine since Jan 2010 (it was 4 months old then) and I think mine has the same build quality as Richard....

I love the car overall and just have to turn up the stereo to try to hide the metallic rattle from the rear somewhere that the dealer can't find and the general buzzes/rattles from all around the cabin and facia....

VW's Portugal factory could learn some from the Seat Spanish factory on internal solidity (not prettiness I admit)
The Don

Post by The Don »

No complaints with mine either...
Ibanez33
Options: Mats, Electric folding wing mirrors, parking sensors, Sil protectors, Philips Crystal vision bulbs.

Post by Ibanez33 »

Had mine since april 2010 and can't fault it at all.. My only complaints are the crappy rod to prop up the bonnet and that people keep driving into it when I park (although I can't blame vw for that lol)
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

hahah I don't open the bonnet often enough to worry about the rod which holds up the bonnet lol
hoganb

Post by hoganb »

what is the problem with the rod??
Scirocco mk III
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

hoganb wrote:what is the problem with the rod??
some feel its quite weedy for the job of holding the bonnet up which is quite heavy & just seems like a corner cut but at the end of the day it does the job.
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Is the use of a rod instead of a piston related to the heaviness and relatively short length of the bonnet, or is it some "retro" crap. I wish they'd make the toblerone door handles a little less plasticy.

Is the poor build quality related to early Rocs? Mine is Feb 09 build and is a bit rattly, some say later ones were better screwed together.

Is the build quality down to perception dependent upon what you previously drove? I have had 4 previous VWs and they've always seemed more solid than my Roc, but for some coming from a French car etc, I could see why they would think the Roc is built like a tank.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
matteeee
Options: DCC, RCD-510, Panorama roof
Window tint
8,5x19" ET35 Audi A5 wheels
Devil Eyes LED head lights
H&R 35mm lowering springs

Post by matteeee »

I don't recognize this... I come from two Audis, a TT Roadster -01 and an A4 Avant -07. The build quality of the Audis are great, but I don't lack any of that in my Rocc. I'm positively surprised, this being my first VW ever.

The only thing I miss from the Audis is quattro. Too bad VW didn't make the Rocc in a 4motion version. I want it!! :)