New rust prevention paint peeling off

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
fuadarif
With a: DSG box
Options: Non

New rust prevention paint peeling off

Post by fuadarif »

Hi Fuad here from Malaysia. I jst got my roco, and have been driving it frm 3 days now. My problem is I jst found out after I did a new wheel change from the original to a set of 19" tht the paint (rust prevention) tht is under my driver sets at the rockerpanel has peel off. Should I be worring about this or is this normal?
fuadarif

Re: New rust prevention paint peeling off

Post by fuadarif »

this is what i mean by
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Hello Fuad,

Yes it does happen when the Scirocco is jacked up on that point correctly. Long term is may rust a little but the metal is substantial. All four jack points do it if a jack or vehicle lift has been used.

I clean and re-treat mine with the VW underbody treatment compound which is PVC based. Its the same as that applied to the outer sills at the factory before body painting.

Long Term Underbody Protection D35.P
Part No. D 003 500 P
1.3Kg tin. Colour: Light Grey.
It's not a lifed item, no expiry date.

My tins date from the early 1980's. As long as they remain sealed after use, it is long lasting in storage.
I guess the cost is about £25 (UK)

Goodness knows how it is sprayed on at the factory. Its really thick stuff. I just brush it on like thick paint. It can be oversprayed with car body paint as the sills have been done at the factory.

It can be bought through the VW dealer's Parts Department in the UK but don't know about Malaysia. :shrug:

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
fuadarif

Post by fuadarif »

Hi RW1 (i hope i got it right)
Anyway thanks for the information. really made my day, as i was wondering and worried tht i could be the only one experiencing this problem. Ive tried searching for more info in the web especially if VW themselves have made any official explanation on such matter. as previous owner of BMW such paint problem seem very strange to me especially coming from a well known brand. anyway thanks for the paint detail, will try to search for it here.

cheers.

Fuad