Problems on collection

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
SimplyGed
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding mirrors, RNS510 DVD Sat Nav, Telephone prep, Rear parking sensors

Problems on collection

Post by SimplyGed »

I went to collect my brand new Roc today and got told I couldn't have it because it hasn't been registered and taxed yet :?
Apparently, the network was down between the dealership and DVLA (they said it was down for the whole of the UK, but I think they were just full of c**p). They told me it went down yesterday afternoon and hasn't been working since. It looks like I'm going to have to wait until Monday before I can collect my car!! :cry:

I did get to look around it and sit in it, but that has just made me more frustrated :irked:

Has anyone else had this problem before? What kind of problems has everyone else had when collecting a new car?
This is not an automated signature. I have to type it in manually every time
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Re: Problems on collection

Post by wigit »

You would have thought they would have let you know yesterday
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
SimplyGed
Options: Folding mirrors, RNS510 DVD Sat Nav, Telephone prep, Rear parking sensors

Post by SimplyGed »

wigit wrote:You would have thought they would have let you know yesterday
To be honest, the salesman has been rubbish. Not once has he contacted me during the order - I've had to chase him every time.
As I was leaving he did say he'd contact me if the system came back on today. I had to bite my tongue from telling him that would be the first time he'd have rang me, but I didn't. Rather get my car first before I give him "feedback".

I don't actually expect him to ring me on Monday either. I'll just have to wait and see...
lancs_lad
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: DAB Radio, Parking Sensors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by lancs_lad »

Glad that didn't happen to me when I picked mine up as it was 200 miles away! :)

TBH that's a rubbish excuse. What's his excuse for not getting off his backside and visiting the nearest DVLA office to do it manually?
SimplyGed

Post by SimplyGed »

lancs_lad wrote:Glad that didn't happen to me when I picked mine up as it was 200 miles away! :)

TBH that's a rubbish excuse. What's his excuse for not getting off his backside and visiting the nearest DVLA office to do it manually?
I thought they could just pop down the post office as well, but he gave me some excuse about needing a duplicate V5 document, which takes 5 days to get from Germany, to let them register at a PO. I'm not sure it that is true, or just another story?

Note: Just checked the DVLA site and none of the local offices are open on a Saturday.

EDIT: Just had another look on the DVLA site and saw this about registering a new car. Seems they were telling the truth.

Registering and taxing the vehicle

You can apply for registration at your nearest DVLA local office. The application takes about a week. There is no ‘over the counter’ service.
b0rk
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

SimplyGed wrote:
EDIT: Just had another look on the DVLA site and saw this about registering a new car. Seems they were telling the truth.

Registering and taxing the vehicle

You can apply for registration at your nearest DVLA local office. The application takes about a week. There is no ‘over the counter’ service.
The dealer should have sorted registration out in terms of allocating a plate before you arrived ditto the tax disc.. The system works also Saturdays and Sundays.. anyway unless your dealer is a one man band I'd have expected the back office to have sorted all the paperwork for the salesman. I'd guess they'd forgotten to allocate you car at all on the dvla system. Did they have the plates made up and on your car?
As long as the registration mark and tax disc have been done IIRC a V55 can be filled out in cases of computer failure.
SimplyGed

Post by SimplyGed »

b0rk wrote: The dealer should have sorted registration out in terms of allocating a plate before you arrived ditto the tax disc.. The system works also Saturdays and Sundays.. anyway unless your dealer is a one man band I'd have expected the back office to have sorted all the paperwork for the salesman. I'd guess they'd forgotten to allocate you car at all on the dvla system. Did they have the plates made up and on your car?
As long as the registration mark and tax disc have been done IIRC a V55 can be filled out in cases of computer failure.
I might have got mixed up with what they were trying to do. The car did have plates and they were on the car - but no tax disc. Maybe the computer system they said was down was just to print out the tax disc?

Oh well, I hope the system is up and running tomorrow. I want my Roc !! :D
b0rk
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

The system that generates the registration mark and ultimately the details needed for a V5C also allows the dealer to tax the car. They can sort out tax at the point a registration is allocated, a blank tax disc can be fill out by hand and a paper V55 to notify the dvla who you are :)

Even still they really should have had everything sorted before you arrived or called to postpone...