Steering Wheel adjustment

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
biglol
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box

Steering Wheel adjustment

Post by biglol »

I've had my car for a few days now and i'm happy with it, theres lots to like.

My only real bug is the range of adjustment on the steering wheel, it just doesn't go anywhere near low enough for me. I cant see how the top half of the range of the up and down movement can be of use to anybody because it moves the wheel to a ridiculously high position. I'm finding it hard to find a comfy driving position because of this, my last car was an RX8 which had its faults but an excellent driving position set up. Its pissing me off a bit. Also my clutch pedal seems a bit high, just a bit higher than the brake pedal, is that about normal?

All said though, loving the torque. It seems really punchy after the Mazda which was a revving screamer.
Magnust
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Re: Steering Wheel adjustment

Post by Magnust »

i'm still waiting for my scirocco, but currently have an rx-8 too, nice to hear how it compares :)
had lots of problems with my rx tho which concluded with an engine replacement recently (thankfully free, even tho my warranty had expired).
lots more extras on the scirocco i ordered and also the dsg should be a bit more comfortable for me since i live in the center of the city and have to do quite a bit of driving in busy traffic...
Anything else worth comparing?
DavidH
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather, Xenons, Dynaudio, Factory Bluetooth and Mats

Post by DavidH »

It suits a slightly higher, more bent legged driving position,at least for my body.It's because the angle of the steering column dictates the height the seat should be at.

Try the seat base higher and a click further forward, feels a bit wierd at first but it's actually more 'correct' and it seems to be working for me. I have to get it spot on because i have a bad back and i can't be stretching for anything, it's a change for me because i've always tried to get a low and straighter legged position, but it doesn't work in this car (actually most modern cars), i end up stretching for the wheel which kills my back. By getting a more 'chair-like' position, my back is much better and i have a much better command of the wheel, i've got great support from the seat back, it's pretty spot on ergonomically. It's always difficult for me to achieve because i have really long legs, so if i set up a lower straigther leg position i can't reach the gear lever and the wheel properly without stretching. They spend a lot of R&D getting this stuff right for a wide range of body sizes and shapes, the 'experts' have kind of dermined that you should be in a higher, more upright, bent-legged, position , as they deem it to be more ergonomically correct.(they're right too).

The pedals and the steering column aren't setup for having the seat base very low, it just doesn't work with the steering column and the pedal angles. There's a misconception that a lower position is more 'racey' and better somehow but the fact is the car isn't setup that way, in a racing car the steering column angle is lowered a lot, often until the wheel is virtually flat, and the pedals can go wherever you want, since you're building it to get the driver lower. On the road you need to be up a lot higher and so that's the way the car is built.

Edit; i thought the RX-8 was pig awful in terms of driving position, i couldn't even fit in it. Did they add reach adjustment on later models or something?
biglol

Post by biglol »

DavidH wrote:It suits a slightly higher, more bent legged driving position,at least for my body.It's because the angle of the steering column dictates the height the seat should be at.

Try the seat base higher and a click further forward, feels a bit wierd at first but it's actually more 'correct' and it seems to be working for me. I have to get it spot on because i have a bad back and i can't be stretching for anything, it's a change for me because i've always tried to get a low and straighter legged position, but it doesn't work in this car (actually most modern cars), i end up stretching for the wheel which kills my back. By getting a more 'chair-like' position, my back is much better and i have a much better command of the wheel, i've got great support from the seat back, it's pretty spot on ergonomically. It's always difficult for me to achieve because i have really long legs, so if i set up a lower straigther leg position i can't reach the gear lever and the wheel properly without stretching. They spend a lot of R&D getting this stuff right for a wide range of body sizes and shapes, the 'experts' have kind of dermined that you should be in a higher, more upright, bent-legged, position , as they deem it to be more ergonomically correct.(they're right too).

The pedals and the steering column aren't setup for having the seat base very low, it just doesn't work with the steering column and the pedal angles. There's a misconception that a lower position is more 'racey' and better somehow but the fact is the car isn't setup that way, in a racing car the steering column angle is lowered a lot, often until the wheel is virtually flat, and the pedals can go wherever you want, since you're building it to get the driver lower. On the road you need to be up a lot higher and so that's the way the car is built.

Edit; i thought the RX-8 was pig awful in terms of driving position, i couldn't even fit in it. Did they add reach adjustment on later models or something?
Well i know everyone is different but i cant bring myself to sit on my car instead of in it. A sports coupe that you have to sit in granny position to drive? Raising the seat up feels crap and doesn't help anyway, i then have to sit with my legs so bent i need to lift my feet clear off the floor to reach the pedals. If i sit where the pedals are comfy i cant reach the wheel, if i sit where the wheel is comfy i'm way too close to the pedals. The reach adjustment is crap cos when you pull it towards you the wheel goes up too much.

I must have short arms or something....... :shrug:
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

I duuno then :shrug: Maybe you have short arms, or long legs. I have long legs so i know the problem. You should be able to get a good driving position in it though, i have the seat base only some of the way up, maybe a few clicks up from the lowest, but it's enough to make it work. Having the seat base all the way down, i either can't reach the wheel properly or i'm too close to the pedals. I wouldn't call it a granny position personally, i'm a very keen driver, i've done several full seasons of singler seater racing, i'm not some old duffer using the car to pootle to the shops. Driving position is very impotatnt to me, i need room under the wheel for left foot braking and heel and toe downshifting, my road cars spend much of thier working life in a balanced drift :D , but whatever. If you think not being able to reach the wheel is 'sporty' or something though then stick with that, otherwise i suggest you give raising the seat and bringing it forward a little a fair go, doesn't have to be a lot to affect your reach at the wheel significantly. Keep fiddling with it, it took me about a week of messing with it to get mine right. Decking the seat base isn't going to work for you though, you've ruled out that option by the sounds of it.

Reading your complaint about the reach adjustment makes it blatantly obvious you're trying to be too low in that car BTW. That should bring it further towards your chest, the reason it isn't is because you're trying to sit on the floor. I'm not going to bang on about it any more, but why be stubborn about it? The car will feel a ,milllion percent better with the right driving position.
Last edited by DavidH on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

driving position/steering column has got to be one of the trade offs from the golf architecture, thought it was just me who was a bit disappointed with the reach adjustment, taken my ages to get a position i'm comfortable with (electic drivers seat does give you some more adjustment on the seat base) and in reality its meant cranking it up higher
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

cant say i noticed this until i saw this thread, but i do have a tendancy to lightly grip the bottom of the steering wheel with my arms resting almost on my lap, if i do grab the steering wheel as you are menat to, it does have a tendancy to pull you forward ( with your feet in a comfy position ).

small price to pay though.
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

People who are long in the back can probably get away with having the seat all the way down. I'm the opposite, i'm 6'2" but am short in the back, it's all legs, so i have to raise the seat a bit, there's no way around it for me. Also if you're especially short you probably have to do the same.
skippy
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

biglol wrote:I've had my car for a few days now and i'm happy with it, theres lots to like.

My only real bug is the range of adjustment on the steering wheel, it just doesn't go anywhere near low enough for me. I cant see how the top half of the range of the up and down movement can be of use to anybody because it moves the wheel to a ridiculously high position. I'm finding it hard to find a comfy driving position because of this, my last car was an RX8 which had its faults but an excellent driving position set up. Its pissing me off a bit. Also my clutch pedal seems a bit high, just a bit higher than the brake pedal, is that about normal?

All said though, loving the torque. It seems really punchy after the Mazda which was a revving screamer.
Interesting to see some ex RX-8 guys here, I am still a current one, and I love the driving position, it feels very low slung and comfortable. I have forgotton already what the Rocco feels like, it did feel a little higher than the RX-8 but I hope I am not in for disappointment in this department.

But yes - I am looking forward to all that torque! :)
biglol

Post by biglol »

Hello Skippy, alright mate?

I'm liking the car overall but the driving position is very different. I dare say i'll get used to it.

You dont have to put much petrol in it either.

:)
Candy Monster
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

I hadn't really fiddled with the steering column, felt spot on to me. The seats do feel a little higher than my mini with recaros though (they were the best seats ever). Mostly it's just about getting used to a new car. :)
tfsi

Post by tfsi »

I'm resurrecting an old thread but I have to add that the driving position is driving me crazy! After 3 months of owning my roc I'm contemplating selling it. :( I'm ~6 foot 3 inches, and when my legs are comfortable (seat in furthest position) I have to lean forward to reach the steering wheel. I didn't notice this so much when I went for my test drive, but now it's becoming a major annoyance. I never had these issues with my golf! I've tried the seat higher, more bent-leg approach, but it feels so unnatural! At the moment the best steering wheel position for me is when it's at the lowest (it seems closer to the body then) but then I can't see the dials properly. If only the steering wheel could get closer and the seat slightly lower! Aaarrrgghhh! :cry: :cry:
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

tfsi wrote:If only the steering wheel could get closer and the seat slightly lower! Aaarrrgghhh! :cry: :cry:
To ask the silly question first..... When you released the steering wheel adjustment lever to lower the wheel, did you also pull the steering wheel outwards?????

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
tfsi

Post by tfsi »

RW1 wrote:
tfsi wrote:If only the steering wheel could get closer and the seat slightly lower! Aaarrrgghhh! :cry: :cry:
To ask the silly question first..... When you released the steering wheel adjustment lever to lower the wheel, did you also pull the steering wheel outwards?????

C.
Hi. Yes, I did. I think it's one of those things where in the beginning I didn't notice it so much since I was on a 'new car high'. :) However, it's definitely annoying me more and more. Perhaps I'm having some mkv gti withdrawal symptoms as well! In the golf the furthest-towards-me steering wheel position was actually too close. I have the electric seat, so I'm trying very small adjustments but there's always a trade-off. :grumpy: I agree with some other posts that if the pedals could've been deeper it would've also helped...I guess there's nothing that can be done. I hope I learn to live with it!