Button on the rear mirror

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
adel218
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Button on the rear mirror

Post by adel218 »

Has anyone actually tested the function of the rear mirror. According to the booklet manual, its suppose to deam down any light that comes from cars beaming on high beam light. When you press the button or starts the car, a green light will come on on the rear mirror but only on the left handside corner not the right one? any idea why vw installed two instead of just one? It cant be just for show, can it?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Button on the rear mirror

Post by RW1 »

The other is the rear looking sensor for the dimmer circuit itself. There is also one on the front facing side of the mirror body on the green illumination side.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Danne
In: Pewter Grey

Post by Danne »

I never turn mine off
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

It works very well actually. If you have a car behind you with bright lights you'll notice the mirror has a slight blue tinge to the rear view. If you press the button, it'll gradually 'fade up', for want of a better phrase, over 5-10 seconds and you'll find the rear view looks more more normal and mirror like. Press the button and a few seconds later you'll have the less dazzling bluey tinged view again.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

When I'm on the dark stretch of road that has no lights near my house, I notice as my car is lower, the lights also hurt in the wing mirrors. BANG, switch to fold. Awesome! My own dark cocoon. No dazzling lights. Love this car for little things like this.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Can't say I've pushed that certain button yet!!!
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

Ryy wrote:When I'm on the dark stretch of road that has no lights near my house, I notice as my car is lower, the lights also hurt in the wing mirrors. BANG, switch to fold. Awesome! My own dark cocoon. No dazzling lights. Love this car for little things like this.
Mirrors are designed to see things behind you, so folding them in whilst moving is not the best idea!
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
Ryy
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I never said I was moving.

But for clarification, this is at 5pm traffic is at a standstill / rolling pace. Tailbacks for usually around 25 minutes (yet unavoidable to get home). Besides, I have a rear view mirror and the blue lights of emergency services are bloody unmissable in the pitch black dark. You know? They're all big blue and flashy.
iAmbu

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

Ryy wrote:... and the blue lights of emergency services are bloody unmissable in the pitch black dark. You know? They're all big blue and flashy.
I know - I drive them :rolleyes:
iAmbu
spaz
In: Night Blue

Post by spaz »

IMHO it doesn't matter how many mirrors you've got, how many blue lights and how loud the sirens are that we've got, poeples driving these days is getting more ignorant. Sure iAmbu will agree. If we're behind you. just indicate to the left it helps so much in knowing you've seen us and we can look out for the less couteous out there. Lecture over!!!!!!!!
iAmbu

Post by iAmbu »

spaz wrote:IMHO it doesn't matter how many mirrors you've got, how many blue lights and how loud the sirens are that we've got, poeples driving these days is getting more ignorant. Sure iAmbu will agree. If we're behind you. just indicate to the left it helps so much in knowing you've seen us and we can look out for the less couteous out there. Lecture over!!!!!!!!
:yes: I fully agree there!

The classic thing a lot of people do is see us behind them, slow down and maybe indicate, but only make a token effort to slow down - Slowing to a very low speed or even better stopping makes things so much easier for us, otherwise we end up having to negotiate passing you whilst also effectively playing chicken with the oncoming traffic. If I had a pound for every time two vehicles slowed down or stopped opposite each other, expecting me to squeeze my wide ambulance through the gap - I'd be a rich man!
iAmbu
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

Amazing how many don't seem to see or hear it until it's 6ft behind them either.

I'd just as sooner pull over and stop safely while the emergency vehicle is a good 2-300 yards behind me than get in to the silly argybargy of people trying to get out of the way at the last minute. Afterall, they might be on the way to attend to someone I know and I wouldn't want to be the one to delay that for a second.
Ryy

Post by Ryy »

Guys I have no idea wth you're going off on one with blue lights. I never said I ignore, matter of fact, I didn't say the putting the mirrors in was to do with them. The only reference I made was that I can see blue lights should they come again (they did once and I saw them from a mile off - like I said, they're big and flashy), so there is no issure there. As soon as the traffic is not at a stand still / crawl and the lamposts come back I pop them back out. It is only irritating and I only do it when it's a transit up my arse or a bloody big truck.

So rant all you want about "I drive an ambulance this" etc. I didn't say you did or didn't, rant all you want about people not moving out the way. I do, indicate or not, I move left and break safely. I respect whatever it is you do (if you're police, I do know there are knob coppers out there, so I'll give you benefit of the doubt as I do not know you), but amb / fire, I agree some people have no idea how to move out the way, just dont know why that cropped up here.
iAmbu

Post by iAmbu »

Ryy, apologies for being involved in taking this thread off topic. Didn't mean to cause any friction, sorry.
iAmbu
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Ryy mate they weren't having a go at you personally.

You made a reference to blue lights, a fellow roc owner drives one with blue lights as daily run around, and it went from there and a bit if generalisation about many other road users out there.

It's almost Xmas, so just chill fella.

:)
Ryy

Post by Ryy »

iAmbu wrote:Ryy, apologies for being involved in taking this thread off topic. Didn't mean to cause any friction, sorry.
No need to be sorry or apologise at all. Just really confused. It's like I had said something I simply didn't.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

I got a 'thank you' wave off an ambulance on blues yesterday! First time ever in 30+ years of getting out of the way. I hope it helped somebody somewhere.
Bill in Norfants