bigger delays on r models

Everything about the R for potential owners.
onlyblondes
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, 19" Alloys, Sat Nav

bigger delays on r models

Post by onlyblondes »

not good news for people waiting for there r's. vw sales office have informed vw dealers of a fire within the r factory that will put delays of up to 6 months on top of lead times on golf and scirocco!!!!!
robrain
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: DVD/Dynaudio, Park sensors, Cruise, Electric mirrors, Bluetooth (handsfree)

Re: bigger delays on r models

Post by robrain »

Been searching for facts on this for a while now. The only 'fire' I've seen firm evidence for is the Moscow area conflagration that forced the Kaluga factory to shut for a few days in August. AFAIK that factory has no direct involvement in Scirocco production. Perhaps VW moved some of the production from Russia to Portugal, or maybe there's been a small fire in the Scirocco chain of production that doesn't hit the news feeds but does cause 6 month delays?

I'm a little sceptical about this explanation for the delays, and the fact that six months extra delay has been caused. Any links or citations anyone can provide?
Ordered 14/8/2010. Scheduled BW4 2011. In dealer Feb 4th 2011. Driving Feb 11th 2011
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

The things I keep reading in Germany are about a factory fire at Teclac (http://www.teclac.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I believe they make & paint the body kits for the R & R-line. The company had a fire on 14th July.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
robrain
Options: DVD/Dynaudio, Park sensors, Cruise, Electric mirrors, Bluetooth (handsfree)

Post by robrain »

RW1, I withdraw my scepticism: http://firegeezer.com/2010/07/16/specta ... n-germany/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ordered 14/8/2010. Scheduled BW4 2011. In dealer Feb 4th 2011. Driving Feb 11th 2011
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Yes I know of that, but didn't want to frighten peeps cos it's bad! So big delays across more than VW must be occuring given they make equipment for a few of the big car makers as list on their front web page.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
robrain

Post by robrain »

This German post (http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/lieferun ... 77907.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) suggests that Teclac-painted bumpers are getting through to Portugal now so maybe the worst is over. Someone who ordered their R in mid-August has been given a March estimate. So it sounds like a two month increase to me, but it's getting late and I've got my irrationally optimistic head on :)
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

you telling me VW has no contingency plans in place when 1 suppplier in its supply chain goes up in smoke?

for a multi billion euro/gbp company, i find that hard to believe.

I would have thought should anything happen to one company its only a matter of hours maybe days before another source is activated to cover any shortfalls? To remain 100% reliant on one single supplier in their business of building cars is just asking for trouble surely.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

How many "R" & R-Line units v the mass production of the Golf & Scirocco models. Not a lot per annum. Hardly worth setting up the contracts.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Hmm guess they really dont give a crap about "reputation" then and how a few "delays" can affect buyer decisions in the long run and on the wider scale.

Funny then how they big up the R/R-line stuff and promote/market it yet can't actually supply the cars in a timely manner due to rubbish operational planning.
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

Unless I'm somewhat mistaken the original German statement on the teclac website describes the fire as only affecting storage and administration buildings not the production unit. Why start notifying customers of delays now rather than back in July? When the "fire" actually happened.
essexbloke
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding mirrors, Satnav, dynaudio, leather interior

Post by essexbloke »

Having seen the dealer in person this morning he has confirmed my build week (44), I enquired about the fire he reassured me that it only affects the Touran. He also confirmed he was chasing up a courtesy car next week (car similar to the Focus ST im driving now.