HELP "SD CARD or IPOD or USB

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
mickscirocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 19" lugano black style pack ,mats,Alloy pedals,Door sills, remap stage 1

HELP "SD CARD or IPOD or USB

Post by mickscirocco »

Hi

Cant decide which one to have for ease of use, sd card seems a nightmare to convert mp4 to mp3, usb i have is 320g and ipod i hear jumps alot,

Help needed it would be ideal to have song title and names on the screen,

Info or help is appriciated.

mick
stuaz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Re: HELP "SD CARD or IPOD or USB

Post by stuaz »

Can I suggest you try them and see which you find more useful. I personally use my work iPhone 3gs and have no issues with jumping. Though I know some do at the start of the song.

The ipod/iphone, is pretty much just plug it in and your done, the USB drive will need the music sorted into folders and stuff, I think. Same for the sd card.
Now a Proud Owner!
nd10

Post by nd10 »

I transfered all of my music to the HDD and any additions I put on my SD card and upload them to the HDD. I have so far had no bother with an mp3 player/i-pod either. The only thing I haven't tried is a usb stick.
viperoc
In: Viper Green
Options: winter pack and cruise control

Post by viperoc »

I was going to ask exactly the same question, in preparation of my new arrival. Which works best if you have music already in folders by album as MP3's? Im looking for ease of access and the ability to view on the RCD510 what is playing. Oh and random playing when I get bored! Any advice appreciated guys. Dont want to buy an ipod if I dont need to.
Manno
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Parking sensors
Folding mirrors
Winter pack
19" Lugano style pack Black

Post by Manno »

I've tried all the methods (Not got HDD) and favour the iPod over the USB. It displays all the data on the screen and is an absolute doddle to use. iTunes has sorted out all your albums/track names etc for you. There is a slight hiccup between tracks sometimes. I think it's something to do with your IPod settings but never really got round to playing with it. A new iPod 160GB Classic for less than £170 is cheaper than 10 memory sticks.
davemarks
In: Rising Blue
Options: Black Leather, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Parking Sensors, 19" Lugano alloys

Post by davemarks »

I'm looking at getting a 2.5" USB hard drive...

I'm just playing around with the software from here http://mp3tag.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (its in german but if you download the software and install it wil default to english and all is good)

I've pointed it at my MP3 Directory which is a mass of single files with no folders...

I hate having folders for artists I hardly known with just one song in them because the tracks come from a compiation CD... so after some fiddling around I sussed out what to do

1) Load all your MP3's in...
2) Order the list by "Album Artist"
3) Find any songs where the Album Artist field is blank or says Various or something like that - ie find all your complication tracks - seelct them all and then use the options on the right to change the Album Artist to "Compilations" (or use whatever you want but keep it consistent) - this steps a bit weird, you want to have it saying < keep > in all fields bar the Albun Artist and then you click the Save icon on the top toolbar - took me ages to figure out how to make it save the changes
4) Now select all your files, right click on one and Select Convert > Tag -Filename... in the box put the following

%band%\%album%\$num(%track%,2). %artist% - %title%

You can tweak that, but %band% refers to the Album Artist field - again took me a while to suss that

Click OK and after a short while all your MP3's will be moved into folders, the first level being artist name, the second level being the album name.
All your complication CD will now be under the folder "Complilations" and then the album names

Load all these onto your USB hard drive and hopefully they'll all be easily navigatable (new word of the day :D)

Hope this helps people

Now I just need to work out how to make Aimersoft Media Converter only pick up new stuff to convert and drop into my MP3 Folder...

I made a bit of a mess while testing and ended up with loads of empty folders - found this on google, might be helpful if you're experimenting - http://www.jonasjohn.de/lab/red.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fun meter
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: MY12, 19" wheels, Leather, RNS510, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Premium mats, MDI...

Post by fun meter »

Never had a problem with my ipod (MY10 car). All songs and playlists appear.

Worth remembering past issues may have been resolved on newer cars.
topicalkeith
In: Sumatra
Options: cruise, tinted windows, mats, DAB radio, tyre press indicators, parking sensors, MF Steering wheel

Post by topicalkeith »

I often use my Ipod never heard it jump, not sure where you got that from.
viperoc
In: Viper Green
Options: winter pack and cruise control

Post by viperoc »

Thanks Guys, so if I get this right, using the ipod means I could access albums as they were intended, playlists and random tracks if I wanted- just like on an ipod? If so it sounds ideal- now to find one that matches viper green........!
chrisyboyc
Options: Leather,Criuse Control, Dynaudio possible RS6 alloys if i have cash

Post by chrisyboyc »

I use Cd's with MP3's a 16Gb SDHC Card a 2Gb usb memory stick a ZEN 60Gb Vision M and occasionally my wifes Ipod Nano and all work fine but i find the SDHC card is the best. I have a lot of music
If you see S9 CTC driving around give us a wave I do 40,000 miles a year it gets lonely out there
topicalkeith
In: Sumatra
Options: cruise, tinted windows, mats, DAB radio, tyre press indicators, parking sensors, MF Steering wheel

Post by topicalkeith »

yes you are right, the IPod menu on the radio screen can be managed the same as the menu on the Ipod, playlists etc using the touch screen....very clever, I'm sure you will like it.
pishpashposh

Post by pishpashposh »

SD card for me, means i can use the usb for my phone as it has sat nav or any other device that needs power. SD cards are dead cheap too and dont take up any storage space.
AndyInGlasgow
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Xenons, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Mats, Flat Tyre Indicator.

Post by AndyInGlasgow »

I've tried Ipod Nano (5th gen) and USB stick.

A few observations:

=====
IPOD:
=====
Bad points:
1) Has a habit of skipping briefly between songs if on different albums (e.g.playlists).
2) When you move forward or back track in playlist it plays the right track but sometimes displays the wrong name!
3) Can occaisionally get into limbo state when loading "media in" and you need to disconnect and reconnect ipod.

Good points:
1) Full access to Artist Lists, Album Lists, Song Lists, Playlists etc.
2) Remebers where you are in song/playlist

=========
USB Stick:
=========
Bad points:
1) Need to be careful copying on playlist files, ensure that they are in right format plus you sometimes need to edit path names in the playlist file to correspond to memory stick rather than original host computer.
2) Depending on your folder structure on the USB stick you will only be able to browse in that order, e.g. if you do Artist\Album you can only easily scroll through the artists and then albums within that artist.
3) There seems to be no "memory" of the playlist position you are in between car restarts. I think this is because it's just a file storing device, there is no software on the USB stick to memorise track positions etc, whereas the ipod does have software that remembers positions etc.

Good Points:
1) No/minimal Skipping
2) Moving forward and back display the right track name.
mickscirocco
Options: 19" lugano black style pack ,mats,Alloy pedals,Door sills, remap stage 1

Post by mickscirocco »

Hi

Ive just read back at some old post on sd cards and it states that you cannot use sdhc card with the scirocco, IS THIS TRUE, i think it depends on your Radio,

Anyone any ideas my roc is new 60 reg,
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

iirc you can with the rcd510 but not the rns510 but this may have changed with updates
mickscirocco

Post by mickscirocco »

Which one isdin the gt 170 tdi.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

as per the brochure if you haven't ordered satnav (rns510) then in the UK you get the rcd510 as standard
mickscirocco

Post by mickscirocco »

I aint ordered sat nav so should be ok, thanks trix