Driver's Side Windscreen Wiper Smear

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

Windscreen Wiper Smear

Yes there is a smear right in my view and it is extremely annoying :grumpy:
78%
There was a smear but it has gone because of what I did (I'll explain below) :yummy:
3%
No, I have never had a smear, everything is fine :D
18%

Total votes: 87

gossa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Re: Driver's Side Windscreen Wiper Smear

Post by gossa »

iambu wrote:
gossa wrote:one of the guys drives from Christchurch to Dorch everyday
Was this Jamie? If so, that's the chap who allowed me to have a test drive for a whole morning, despite me being honest and saying I wouldn't be ordering until well in to 2009! No pressure from him after the drive either, very friendly.
Yes, that was him, really nice guy. Will let you know how they fare with the servicing.
jackbarr
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat. Nav., Sun Roof, Rear Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Leather, Cruise, Fiscon Plus Bluetooth and a smile on my face.

Post by jackbarr »

After trying all the suggested remedies "Rain X" etc I eventually contacted my local VW guy who ordered and fitted a new driver side wiper blade - problem solved no more streak or smear. Night and Day result.
bungle
Options: Vienna Leather. Folding Mirrors. Parking Sensors. Carpet Mats.

Post by bungle »

Hi chaps. New to the forum, so just catching up on posts. I too have the smear problem. I was intending giving the wiper blades a good clean today with vinegar and paper towel. This has always solved smearing in cars I've had in the past. Anyone else tried this? I'l update once i've done it.....
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

got to admit not a fan of rain x, doesn't last that long IMO, also smears and a difficult to get off if you want to escape using it, things have moved on, i am told GTECHNIQ G1 is very good (by ex Rain X users) but not used it

struggling slightly with smearing and grime at moment, spoke to autoglym yesterday at autosport as even their glass cleaner is struggling, they gave me an unofficlal tip which i have tried today for wipers and screen, i'll see if things improve
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
kianok
Options: C 320 CDi

Post by kianok »

I have the excact same problem. Glad it's not just me! I've tried all sorts but nothing makes any difference. Annoying thing is the screen is clear appart from a small area right in my eye line.

While on the subject of windscreens, does anyone else find it annoing that when you use the screen washers the wipers come on before the washer jets have done their bit, thus smearing the screen for a second or two.
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

On collecting my car on Friday i found that the entire screen smeared, this was fun travelling back up the motorway. :eyepop: However after a couple of days things seemed to have improved without me taking any action although there still seems to be some smearing which i need to resolve.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
stan_blade
In: Candy White
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Front lux mats, rear rubber mats, Sat Nav, Pano roof, Auto Glym, GT st-wheel badge, Prem door sills, Boot liner, Metal Pedals.
23k miles and rising. Stone chips galore.

Post by stan_blade »

I've booked my car in at the dealers to look at the smear next week. Also going to get them to adjust the boot release. As it doesn't always unlatch when cold, and to sort out my fidgety windows, when I engage reverse from turning the ignition
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

If someone wants to collate all the possible solutions into one post I'll put it on the wiki.
FUNYOU
In: Salsa Red
Options: Sat nav with Dynaudio package and folding mirrors.

Post by FUNYOU »

Hi. Drove down to Cornwall from Nottingham over the New Year. Great drive apart from having to peer through a small clean space in the screen.

Still love the car though.
Bully
Options: Black leather, winter pack, panoramic roof

Post by Bully »

Took mine into the dealer today to show them. Was told that they've had this problem on a range of cars that are fitted with this type of wiper not just Sciroccos. It's going back on friday to have new ones fitted so hopefully that will do the trick.
gossa

Post by gossa »

Had a new driver side wiper blade fitted yesterday (under warranty) and problem has gone completely.

If you still have a smear, get a new blade under warranty.
jonosussex
In: Indium Grey
Options: sunroof, leather, satnav, reversing sensors, cruise, winter pack, headlight washers, folding mirrors..

Post by jonosussex »

Thnaks Gossa - I'll do just that. So far all I've had is bo**ox about its a microsurface effect which will go away with time... Well 5000 miles later and it ain't gone! I will go into the garage today and demand...
:)
1996-1999 Mazda 323 2.0 V6
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
2008-2011 'Roc 2.0 TSi manual - Rising Blue
2011- ?? Roc 2.0 TSi DSG Indium Grey
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

I've already read it could be a bent wiper arm.
stan_blade
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Front lux mats, rear rubber mats, Sat Nav, Pano roof, Auto Glym, GT st-wheel badge, Prem door sills, Boot liner, Metal Pedals.

Post by stan_blade »

Mines being looked at today, so I will report later on what my dealer does.
Midlife
In: Shadow Blue
Options: rear parking sensor

Post by Midlife »

I had the smear after the first rain, after getting my car. Took it to the dealer they changed the blade no problem & under warranty.
So I suggest you take it back to the dealer for a quick, no hassle, no cost fix .

Midlife (still smiling and the comments get better and better re the roc not me! :D )
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

Had mine replaced under warranty from an approved VW service centre, they called me back after 1 month saying the warranty declined the wipers as they are not covered so you have to pay £22.

I was absolutely furious with them and refused to pay, called up VW customer services to complain, they were on my side and advised me not to pay, they said the service centre is latching onto a memo that states wiper blades are not covered under warranty, however she went to say with the car being so new, and you reported the issue with only 2000 miles on the clock it can be replaced under warranty none the less the garage should now cover the costs as they should have checked all this before carrying out the work and more importantly it should never have resulted in you calling VW customer services, the complaint has been noted and someone with investigate the practices at the centre.

Finally I have had some decent after care from VW all be it the Customer services call centre.

PS the call lasted 23 minutes.
drkaos

Post by drkaos »

Dealers demo-car had smear. It also fogged up pretty easily.
I was hoping that was due to bad cleaning only.
stan_blade

Post by stan_blade »

Quick update as I have just picked up the roc from the dealer. They have replaced both wipers and there appears to be no smear in the drizzle I experienced on the 10 mile ride home. :clap: I will monitor over the next few weeks and report if it re-occurs.

The dealer has also adjusted the boot release mechanism, so it releases first time, and changed the window firmware to that of the EOS (apparantly no update to Scirocco window firmware yet :shrug: ) as I was experiencing some strange behaviour with the frameless windows when selecting reverse, and they did not always drop when opening the doors.

All done under warranty: Well done VW Ridgeway Wantage :clap:

but they did supply a polo bluemotion a courtesy car :oops: :oops:

They also indicated that cruise control was not being offered at the moment as a retro fit, but they are going to email VW HQ to determine when it would be made available again.

Stan
jonosussex
In: Indium Grey
Options: sunroof, leather, satnav, reversing sensors, cruise, winter pack, headlight washers, folding mirrors..

Post by jonosussex »

Thanks for the update Stan.

I took mine into the dealer today; the salesamn kept on about how its a 'nano-surface' and that was just a problem with the surface. i said that it seemed quite simple to me; the job of windscreen wipers is to keep the screen clear; not to be cutting edge technology!.

The service guy was much more sympathetic however and has booked me in for a fix and said that they'd look at the arm tension and fit new blades anyway and charge sales!

I'll update you after next Wedensday!

Apart from that - what a stunning car!!!
1996-1999 Mazda 323 2.0 V6
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
2008-2011 'Roc 2.0 TSi manual - Rising Blue
2011- ?? Roc 2.0 TSi DSG Indium Grey
gossa

Post by gossa »

honestly guys, don't take any shit from dealers or let anyone 'adjust the arm tension blah blah', it's a simple fix, new drivers side wiper blade.

I did all the tricks, clean everyone, rain x, etc etc. The new blade just fixed everything immediately.