Rear View Camera

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
peter.vw
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Re: Rear View Camera

Post by peter.vw »

Thanks for clarifying these items, one more, you say you used the VAG COM but 182_blue says on a posting at the top of page 3 used VCDS is this possible ether way?
mantzas
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: RNS 510 sat nav, rear view camera, parking sensors, media-in

Post by mantzas »

What's the difference? Vag Com Diagnostic Software = VCDS
Dimitris
peter.vw
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Post by peter.vw »

As I understand it (correct me if I am wrong) the VCDs is a CD placed in to the dash RDC 510 unit with the dater necessary to program its functions, the VAG COM is used to program the on board computer that runs the various functions like lights and the like? or have i got it wrong
mantzas

Post by mantzas »

I'm not aware of the existance of such a cd.
Check out here for more info about vcds http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html
Dimitris
RW1
Legend
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Nothing other than VAG is Volkswagen AG and they instisted in 2008 that Uwe Ross change the name of his product. Hence VCDS.

Two spots in the diagnostics where the Camera needs to be recognised.

Above RCD 510 - no VCDS runs on the laptop or Desk PC - ( with a very long lead!) after you have either downloaded it from Ross-Tech or a licenced franchise. Supplying on CD is most likely a pirate crack and fixed on a particular issue version - eg v908 currently seen knocking about. CD from Ross Tech tends to be for multi loading of PCs in Workshops.

I've been involved with VAG-COM since the prototypes & v0.50 in May 2000. The only time you really need to change your lead with Ross Tech is when VW-Audi Group add another comms wire connection to the diagnostic connection. Thats happened once since year 2000. Also, as the VCDS software updates it also update the firmware in the doggled plug head of the lead you buy. I'm on my third connection lead, only cos I have a prototype. Both the production leads are still in use. For the Scirocco, using v10.6.0. **. Plus a HEX + CAN lead, connection is your choice - serial or USB.

(** still not perfect but adequate for most things, still having to write my own label files to support certain controllers that are fitted. Not to hard, just dump the controller map and a bit of editing.)

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
peter.vw

Post by peter.vw »

You are proberly right and its 182_blue that has it wrong or is confused, thanks for your help with this have been on to VW to get some info but all they say is that I would invalidate my warranty and that VW UK has no intentions of offering the camera as a retro fit.
RW1 wrote:Nothing other than VAG is Volkswagen AG and they instisted in 2008 that Uwe Ross change the name of his product. Hence VCDS.

Two spots in the diagnostics where the Camera needs to be recognised.

Above RCD 510 - no VCDS runs on the laptop or Desk PC - ( with a very long lead!) after you have either downloaded it from Ross-Tech or a licenced franchise. Supplying on CD is most likely a pirate crack and fixed on a particular issue version. CD from ROSS TECH tends to be for multi loading of PCs in Workshops.

I've been involved with VAG-COM sine the prototypes v0.50 in May 2000. The only time you really need to change your lead with Ross Tech is when VW-Audi Group add another comms wire connection to the diagnostic connection. Thats happened once since year 2000. Also, as the VCDS software updates also update the firmware in the doggled plug head of the lead you buy. I'm on my third connection lead, only cos I have a prototype. Both the production leads are still in use. For the Scirocco, using v10.6.0. plus a HEX + CAN lead, Connection is your choice serial or USB.

C.
Thats cleard things up for me thank you. Think its time I got myself the Ross software and lead as there is a number of things i want to change
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Peter

as you have the GT you will be able to change a certain amount without needing Vagcom/vcds (coming home/leaving lights, auto door locking off the top of my head plus others) so depends what you want to change
& blue is not wrong he just refers to it as vcds whereas others refer to it as vagcom

S
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

I've just had a look thro' my screen dumps I'm preparing for a manual.

Here are the two modules with Reversing Camera control settings.
(Bare in mind this is an October 2009 WK43 production build Scirocco with a RCD510, which would have "RVC" on its parts label on the side face)

The first is the RCD 510 controller - Module 52
VCDS Reverse Camera - 01.jpg
The second place is in the CAN Gateway Controller - Module 19
VCDS Reverse Camera - 02.jpg
C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
mantzas

Post by mantzas »

What I did was in module 37 Radio Navigation, set byte 3 bit 6 to enable.
(Picture taken from cameluk's golf VI guide @ http://cameluk.co.cc/camera.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Dimitris
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Erm hang on, i think your confused, i wrote The programming for the golf just involved telling the RNS that you had a camera installed with VCDS, the rest was running cables :) , and you do need VCDS to program it (VCDS is Vagcom), i never mentioned putting a CD in the headunit !!, im guessing you got this from the letters VCDS :(

peter.vw wrote:You are proberly right and its 182_blue that has it wrong or is confused, thanks for your help with this have been on to VW to get some info but all they say is that I would invalidate my warranty and that VW UK has no intentions of offering the camera as a retro fit.
RW1 wrote:Nothing other than VAG is Volkswagen AG and they instisted in 2008 that Uwe Ross change the name of his product. Hence VCDS.

C.
Thats cleard things up for me thank you. Think its time I got myself the Ross software and lead as there is a number of things i want to change
peter.vw

Post by peter.vw »

Thanks to all for your input, as you say TRIX that I have a number of options anyway think the best way for me to approach this is to go to my dealer and ask if I fit the parts would they program it for me, I did ask them last time in to turn on cornering fogs but they said they could not do it if not back to buying my own VAG COM
Shaun
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

A good friend (Steve p) form the Mk5gti forum is picking all the parts up tonight for this upgrade and is looking at how it fits and how to wire etc etc, i will either report back for him or will get him on here
mantzas

Post by mantzas »

The wiring is not very difficult. It took me 5 minutes to guide the wire from the rns to the taillight. The only tricky part should be from the taillight and back.. Perhaps a rear bumper removal cannot be avoided.
Dimitris
DaveB1970
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by DaveB1970 »

182_blue wrote:A good friend (Steve p) form the Mk5gti forum is picking all the parts up tonight for this upgrade and is looking at how it fits and how to wire etc etc, i will either report back for him or will get him on here
You're probably aware Im making my car available to Steve next week, really loooking forward to getting this sorted, Ive tried Passat CC COntrollers with Tiguan cameras and kept getting software error codes.

Lots of faith in SteveP, Steve knows - could be on the final straight with this one
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

DaveB1970 wrote:
182_blue wrote:A good friend (Steve p) form the Mk5gti forum is picking all the parts up tonight for this upgrade and is looking at how it fits and how to wire etc etc, i will either report back for him or will get him on here
You're probably aware Im making my car available to Steve next week, really loooking forward to getting this sorted, Ive tried Passat CC COntrollers with Tiguan cameras and kept getting software error codes.

Lots of faith in SteveP, Steve knows - could be on the final straight with this one

No i didn't know whose car it was being done on , good luck, im looking forward to the results
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Just had a pm about removing rear bumpers from mr p chaps ;)
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
mantzas

Post by mantzas »

wigit wrote:Just had a pm about removing rear bumpers from mr p chaps ;)
No chance avoiding this?
Dimitris
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

mantzas wrote:
wigit wrote:Just had a pm about removing rear bumpers from mr p chaps ;)
No chance avoiding this?

hes trying to make it as easy as possible so we will see, for OEM fitment though it might need to come off
mantzas

Post by mantzas »

182_blue wrote:

hes trying to make it as easy as possible so we will see, for OEM fitment though it might need to come off
That's what I was talking about a few posts above. I just had a hope that it wouldn't be necessary!
Dimitris
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

I think it will be just about possible to route the cable down to the top of the number plate recess but to fix the camera mounting bracket properly and avoiding damaging anything else when making the hole for the camera will mean the bumper removal is the best way IMHO.

Compared to the install of the camera on the Mk5 Golf, popping a bumper off is very easy unlike the tailgate trim on the Golfs.