Which Model Comes Close to Impreza Performance?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
BigPete
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Which Model Comes Close to Impreza Performance?

Post by BigPete »

I'm moving from an Impreza Turbo to (possibly) a Scirocco .... looks great, some versions are nippy.

The R is £5000 more than the next model down and comes close to the Impreza (obviously not on the twisties) - would the cheaper version deliver as many thrills? I would rather pay £23,000 than £28,000.

What do you get for that £5,000 apart from the more powerful version?
Sam63
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather seats, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio Soundpack, Mats.
Mods : BCS non -resonated Sports System Cat Back exhaust, H & R Springs and ITG Maxogen CAI, APR Stage 1 & 19" Satin Anthracite BBS CH R's. - Now Sold

Re: Which Model Comes Close to Impreza Performance?

Post by Sam63 »

A car you can be seen in without the "Klingon cloaking device" activated - a must for all Scooby's TBH
marriedblonde
Options: Winter pack, 19"'s and a couple of other bits I have forgotten.

Post by marriedblonde »

BigPete wrote:I'm moving from an Impreza Turbo to (possibly) a Scirocco .... looks great, some versions are nippy.

The R is £5000 more than the next model down and comes close to the Impreza (obviously not on the twisties) - would the cheaper version deliver as many thrills? I would rather pay £23,000 than £28,000.

The R was quicker round a track than a new Evo...
Married and Blond, yes. Still a guy with a poor taste in user names.

Black GT 2.0Tsi, H&R's, bluefin stage 2 remap, Miltek non-res, evoms intake, AP 4 pot's, forge quickshift, R tail lights, Flux 100w bulbs.
latif27
In: Rising Blue
Options: pano-roof inters vienna leather sat-nav park sensors heated seat/mirrors premier mats
H&Rs AmD Technik re-map

Post by latif27 »

BigPete wrote:I'm moving from an Impreza Turbo to (possibly) a Scirocco .... looks great, some versions are nippy.

you dont get much ive sat in one at my local dealer and i prefer mine with my xtras.get a re map and you wont be dissapointed
AMDre-map
Candy Monster
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

Depends what types of scooby you were driving and whether it was modded at to whether you'll like the roc. We have two mapped scirocco GTs and two classic imprezas in the family (a modded RB5 and a jap spec 22B).

A revo mapped GT is quicker than the RB5 in gear and not much different to the 22B TBH. The roc would get blown away from standstill or in the wet but it handles pretty well in the dry as it has a wide track.

The R comes with bigger brakes, an 'electronic diff', nicer body kit and ever so slightly lower ride. The main difference is the engine which has some subtle differences that will allow for greater tuning potential. It depends upon whether you want to modify your car or not but the GT is obviously cheaper and with a decent filter map an exhaust 280+ bhp and 320ish lbft should be easy enough. As you will know you can go big turbo, intercooler etc and serious power is possible (440bhp i believe) but you'll be spending big money.

With a mapped R i'd guess 330 bhp may be possible but i don't know of anyone who has mapped one yet. The standard R will be slower than a GT with a good map (Revo, APR, etc) mainly due to the torque rather than BHP. If you desperately want to keep the car stock then go for the R as it will drive out of the box like the GT should. If you don't mind having a map done and dont want to go for over 300bhp then gat a gt, map it and save 4.5k.

In my opinion over 300bhp in a FWD car and you'll have real trouble putting the power down.

Have to say we love our roccos, the build quality and styling is much better than the new age imprezas and the maps have completely transformed the cars!

Let us know what you decide :yes:
marriedblonde
Options: Winter pack, 19"'s and a couple of other bits I have forgotten.

Post by marriedblonde »

Regal are offering an upgrade for the ko4 engined cars offering 370bhp... I wouldn't use them myself personally I dont think their customer services is very good (in fact I know it is piss poor) which would put me off. But if shows what can be achieved quite easily with this engine.

J.
Married and Blond, yes. Still a guy with a poor taste in user names.

Black GT 2.0Tsi, H&R's, bluefin stage 2 remap, Miltek non-res, evoms intake, AP 4 pot's, forge quickshift, R tail lights, Flux 100w bulbs.
johnnysix

Post by johnnysix »

I have just got a Scirocco GT 2.0 after owning a Classic impreza Turbo (210bhp) for 4 years.
It was suffering some expensive problems and I just thought I'd try a new, gadget-layden car for the first time in 20yrs driving.
So, here's my impressions after 3 weeks:
PLEASANT SURPRISES ABOUT THE SCIROCCO
- It's only a second slower, but acceration still feels good (although wheelspin is new to me!)
- Better cabin. It IS quite interesting having all the different electronic information in front of you
- The power delivery is smoother; it doesn't shout about it, but it means you end up at 90mph more stealthily
- Although not as good on corners, the electronics mean it recovers from breakaways instantly
- Slightly better fuel economy than Subaru (not as much as I'd hoped)
- Refinement

WHAT I MISS ABOUT SCOOBY
- Deep boxster burble!
- Grip / connection with road
- Overall character (excluding cabin). Scirocco is more sensible, but why is sensible a good thing??
- People just know they are fast cars as soon as they see them!
- Little kids point and go "OOoooo"
SeventySix
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Tints, cruise, sunroof, Interlagos, badge deletion, DAB & mats.

Ordered 14/4/10, built 26/5/10, collected 18/6/10 @ 1245 :D

Post by SeventySix »

johnnysix wrote:WHAT I MISS ABOUT SCOOBY
- Little kids point and go "OOoooo"
They do the same with Sciroccos, too.

:)