DSG Hill Hold

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
AndyInGlasgow
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Xenons, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Mats, Flat Tyre Indicator.

DSG Hill Hold

Post by AndyInGlasgow »

Hi,

A question for anyone with a DSG auto gearbox here.

If I sit on a hill with my foot on the break the car makes a clunking noise when I take foot off break before it will start to creep forward. This clunking noise only happens on a hill, not on level ground.

It almost feels like it needs to break the grip of the brakes.

Ideas please. Is this normal?

Thanks.
martdy
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Re: DSG Hill Hold

Post by martdy »

Perfectly normal mate . The hill hold applies the brakes and releases as you pull away .
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
johnjm
In: Candy White
Options: SatNav (retro), PDC, Votex kit, R-line rear bumper, s/r

Post by johnjm »

martdy wrote:Perfectly normal mate . The hill hold applies the brakes and releases as you pull away .
+1
Gary_Monkey
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

I have DSG with Hill Hold. Here's my view.

You should only get a tiny jolt when the Hill Hold releases it's grip. Because this process is automatic it feels odd at first. You'll get used to it. However if it's a large clunk as you describe it may need looking at while it's still under warranty. Maybe it's sticking after release (I'm not a mechanic so don't quote me on that ;) )

Can you describe the noise/sensation a little more accuratley.

Gary
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
dkfsk
In: Candy White
Options: Dynamic Chassis Control, Bluetooth Premium, Flat Tire sensor, RNS510 Nav. system, cruise control, folding mirrors, Bi-zone air con, Alloy pedals, auto lights, rain sensors, auto rain closing windows, 248 BHP/380NM

Post by dkfsk »

Has the same noise as Andy describes and consider it normal. The noise changes (get louder or squeekeer) the steeper the hill is and it comes from the brakes when starting going slowly forward. It take the brakes some seconds before they are released when you start the drive.
AndyInGlasgow
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Xenons, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Mats, Flat Tyre Indicator.

Post by AndyInGlasgow »

dkfsk, sounds like you are experiencing exactly the same as me, but summed it up better. Agree totally that the steeper the hill the more you notice it. I don't really notice it at all on flat ground.

Gary, yeh I will get it looked at under warranty if I feel it's more than "normal operation". It's a difficult noise to describe, will try to sum it up in a later post when I listen more closely to it.

I also notice that the Roc has a very sensitive brake pedal compared to other cars I've had, not much pressure difference required between going from gentle braking to full on stop when crawling at very slow speeds.