Rattling noise coming from the front end!!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
wullie636
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: dynaudio dab leather mats premium sills

Re: Rattling noise coming from the front end!!

Post by wullie636 »

Thats certainly what I have noticed its worse when its left for a couple of days. I am not going to drive mine again till Saturday so I will see if it starts but I' m going to take it in about the smear the wipers are creating though
rehmondo
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

wullie636 wrote:Thats certainly what I have noticed its worse when its left for a couple of days.
Hmmm maybe that's why I don't notice it as much anymore, I've been using it a lot for the past month, maybe 1 or 2 days it just sat there.

The garage said they will look at it though so hopefully they can come up with something for us.
wullie636

Post by wullie636 »

rehemondo I was just wondering how did you get on at the dealers did they get to the bottom of the rattle?
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

I rang them before going over yesterday, turns out the blades hadn't arrived, so didn't end up going. Will keep you guys posted as soon as it happens.
NickO
Options: Truffle Leather, Panaromic Roof, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Premium Mats, Boot Liner

Post by NickO »

Went to the dealer last week, although infamous rattle was not in evidence due to its intermittment nature, the dealer took it seriously to be fair, and stripped down the "black bit" etc where the wipers go in and re-assembled it to ensure that it was all solid.

I took the car out, without any problem drove it for a couple of days until Sunday afternoon, and it was a back again! :cry:

To be fair I was in the dealer's again yesterday to sevice the wife's car, and they asked about the rattle, I told them it had reappered on Sunday, and they said bring it back anytime. :clap:

My gut feel is they need to catch it actually happening to have any chance of curing it.

Any thoughts? Anyone still experiencing the "rattle"?

Cheers
Nick
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Nick

Some people have been reporting rattles fron within the headlining where the fixed bit of the pano roof is
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
NickO
Options: Truffle Leather, Panaromic Roof, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Premium Mats, Boot Liner

Post by NickO »

Cheers Andy. it definately rattles up there when it frosted, but I didn't think it was coming from up there when it occurs "normally". However, rattles can be deceiving and my ears are certainly not the best.

I will check out advice when it re-occurs, thanks mate for the heads up, its appreciated. :nod:
drnick
In: Rising Blue
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

My car never rattled from the front until i accidentally tried to wipe the wipers in their 'cleaning' position, since then on frosty mornings they rattled. Yesterday morning i tracked the noise to the place where the wiper blade meets the springloaded metal wiper arm. I took the blades off, sprayed the plastic pivot with a little WD-40 (other spray lubes are available) and so far - no rattle!!
NickO

Post by NickO »

That's interesting, I will give that a go because mine are rattling in this cold weather all the time, and I always clean them in the park postion.

Cheers
Nick
risingblue1
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sat Nav, Private plate

Post by risingblue1 »

I got my wipers replaced last Friday much better now and they don't rattle. You know they cost £48 if you have to pay for them!
rehmondo

Post by rehmondo »

I got my wipers replaced under warranty, I think they told me it was £11 per blade, hate to think what they're charging for labour.

Turns out after 5 weeks now they can be bad at times but most days after washing the car they're fine. I think my next plan of action will be to replace the screen wash with a different brand and see if that makes a difference.

Anybody experience any high levels condensation on the inside of the windscreen? I've had that a couple of times, water has trickled down the screen with me thinking why aren't the wipers picking that up :?

Other than this issue with the windscreen/wipers/rattle etc the car has been fabulous, still turns heads :clap:
vycthor

Post by vycthor »

mine rattles too, i will try to fix....
bigmac2511
Options: leather, dsg,

Post by bigmac2511 »

I have an intermitent rattle from the wipers and the line of sight smear, must be standard fitment but didn't see them in the spec sheet !!! LOL
vycthor

Post by vycthor »

The noise comes from a vibration of the entire wiper engine/mechanism.

Yo can replicate de noise hiting with your hand in de windshield... hit ... hit and hit

If you knock on the glass repeatedly hear the noise.
With Pressure on the wiper shaft disappears.

I hope it will be fixed with a simple improvement in the engine junction or a tightening of the screws.
richroc
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather, sat nav, parking sensors, Ipod, Black VW badges bonnet & boot, silver A pieces, silver gear gaiter surround, silver rear seat headrest trims, Focal speakers, alloy pedals, golf-ball type gear knob.

Post by richroc »

I get the rattle occasionally as well AND my driver's side wider is totally crap as per everyone elses.

Bought my ROC from Birmingham VW.

I like the idea of compiling a list of cars and people that have same issue. Could the adminitrator of this site set up some sort of place we can all enter our details on a list or something similar?

Cheers,

Richroc.
wullie636

Post by wullie636 »

I still have the infamous rattle and the useless wipers which I have had changed twice still no good the dealer has told me vw will not replace them again but it was nice that they gave me the rattle which the dealer has failed to sort after eight attempts. My next course of action was to speak with vw uk to get their take on the wipers as I believe it to be a safety issue also to see if they are aware of the rattle problem. Has anyone ever dealt with them or am I going to be wasting my time
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

Was speaking to a local VW tech lastnight and VW are well aware of the problem with the rattle, and there is a solution.

Its where the plenum chamber cover panel meets the bulkhead scuttle panel, just at the rubber to bonnet seal. The cover is not secured there and as such can rattle causing the noise. The VW fix is to apply felt tape along the edge to stop the rattle.
wullie636

Post by wullie636 »

cheers for that andy I will approach the dealer with this info and see what kind of response I get
vycthor

Post by vycthor »

Andy-GTI wrote:Was speaking to a local VW tech lastnight and VW are well aware of the problem with the rattle, and there is a solution.

Its where the plenum chamber cover panel meets the bulkhead scuttle panel, just at the rubber to bonnet seal. The cover is not secured there and as such can rattle causing the noise. The VW fix is to apply felt tape along the edge to stop the rattle.

ufff, if we can get a Photo of this, I can try to fix without leavin the car to vw
pimp my roc
Options: Panna,truffle,winter pack

Post by pimp my roc »

Get a photo please it's driving me mad.........ah 'plenum' we don't really get enough of the old 17th century latin do we!!