Test Drive impressions

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
greeper
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: DVD Satellite Navigation, Leather (black), Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack, Folding Mirrors, Premium sills, Boot liner, Alloy pedals, Parrot 3200LS

Test Drive impressions

Post by greeper »

Hi all,

I have just completed my 2 day test drive of the Scirocco and here are my impressions: for reference I am moving away from an ST3 with SatNav which produces 255bhp and 360lbs of torque

I love the shape of the car - loads of people have commented on it. Rising Blue is also a great colour - very similar to my ST's colour. I am keen for the car to not stand out too much, so also considering Black.

The engine sounds very much like a diesel when first turned on, much rougher than my STs engine, I had to open the bonnet and double check they hadn't labeled the car wrong :D The engine sounds much better when moving, but no where near as good as the ST engine, but then that does 23 - 25mpg and the Rocco has been doing 31 - 33mpg under similar conditions.

Interior of the Rocco I think is very good, boot is bigger than expected, my dog found it more than adequate :) materials are better than the ST and the layout (other than the suspension settings switch which is too far to the left) is very good, It is a little sparse and not as special as the exterior of the car but it does everything you need. Everyone that has been in the car thinks it isn't as good as the ST. I prefer the interior of the Rocco to the A3 which I am also looking at. I love the submarine light and the steering wheel. Seats look great and though they are less comfortable than the ST's and A3's they are very supportive.

I love the handling on the Rocco this is far better than the ST, it is much more planted on the road, similar amount of feel through the steering wheel (though a little heavy at slow speeds) but the ST ESP intrudes sooner than the Rocco's.

SATNAV on the ST and Rocco both have their good and bad points. ST has voice control, full postcode and controls dual climate etc all from the touch screen. Rocco has HDD, better ipod support, and plays DVDs. Over all I prefer the SatNav in the Rocco it costs half what the ST SatNav cost and has better looking maps.

Visibility in the Rocco is a little worrying, it has massive blind spots and though the parking sensors are great it still worries me slightly that I can't see as much as I am used to.

Overall I am really happy with the Rocco, I have another day with the A3 before I decide which one to go with, but at the moment the only car I have come across that could replace my ST is the Scirocco. I just need to decide on the options:

I am considering:
DSG (is it worth the extra money???)
Cruise control (I go through average speed cameras daily)
Parking sensors (should be standard :) )
DVD Sat NAV
Leather interior
Telephone prep kit (should work with the Blackberry bold I use)
Folding mirrors
Smoking pack (improve the interior look)

Only issue is I can't get the car until March (when the ST is due to go back) can I stand the wait :)
albertz33
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Re: Test Drive impressions

Post by albertz33 »

Also remember that the ST will be replaced again next year, current facelift model is only a stopgap, so you will be driving a last generation car in a few months, not so with the Rocco.

As for A3's...Pah! im a little harsh on Audi's, but you will just blend in with the rest of the c*cks on the fast lane sitting up some beemers chuff!!

Go for the Roc, you know it makes sense.
robrob
In: Deep Black
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

greeper wrote: I have just completed my 2 day test drive of the Scirocco...
Mind me asking how you managed that?
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

ditched an a3 for a roc, its in a different league chasis wise, comments intersting on seats as was one reason it went, you'll get used to the rear visibilty, after a few weeks you won't notice, i think if its a company car or own cash you look for different things
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
alex

Post by alex »

greeper wrote:DSG (is it worth the extra money???)
EASILY. You'll never, ever regret it.
cpjames
In: Sumatra
Options: Parking Sensor, SatNav/DVD, Mats
Dynaudio
Est. Build Week 10

Post by cpjames »

robrob wrote:
Yeah me too, am having a hell of a job trying to get my local dealer to give me an extended test drive!!

Chris
easybreeze
In: Candy White
Options: Parking Sensors
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

I thought ST was inferior in quality, feel and looks - I hated the seats, steering wheel and stereo... personally I only liked the engine :shrug: Also the Chavvy image which is now put with it (sorry)

I think my VXR trumpts the ST hands down... and I was blown awar with the Scirocco! I only ever sat in an A3 and thought it was VERY nice - but couldn't afford a good engine it in :grumpy:
Arrived 23rd March '09 - Lovin' it
alex

Post by alex »

cpjames wrote:
robrob wrote:
Yeah me too, am having a hell of a job trying to get my local dealer to give me an extended test drive!!
Hmm, I've only driven one for 20 minutes or so. Keen on loaning one for atleast 1 day myself, maybe over the weekend... :shrug: :(
mister.c.

Post by mister.c. »

I got one for two days. Dead easy, through my lease company. VW even rang my mrs to see if there was any other cars we wanted to test!

Re the DSG, please don't take anyone's opinion for it, try to get a test drive and form your own opinion. As an active member of many forums over the year DSG is definitely a Marmite thing. Many people love it, many people hate it.

I had DSG for 2 days thinking I'd love it and didn't get on with it at all.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

think that is fair comment mister.c. on dsg, i would try to wangle a day or so to see if you like it, i will say the manual is fine and clutch not to heavy in traffic
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
heavymetalmayhem
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

I opted for DSG and after 2,500 miles I've still not made up my mind. Its great in heavy traffic and when cruising. Also great when accelerating in manual and changing up with the paddles. On the downside - when in manual changing down a gear can be jerky. In auto I sometimes get frustrated when I put my foot down and it hesitates whilst selecting a lower gear but I’m training myself to pre-empt this with a manual change down and use of manual and sport mode. I think I am still learning to use the DSG box effectively – someone wrote on another thread that it took them approx 10k miles to become completely accustomed to DSG so I reserve judgement.
greeper wrote: Parking sensors (should be standard :) )
No way they look awful IMO. You soon get used to the dimensions of the car and I have not found visibility an issue.

personally I think the A3 is very dull in particular the interior and I really don't like the shape of the top of dash board and the round air vents.

robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

heavymetalmayhem wrote:
No way they look awful IMO. You soon get used to the dimensions of the car and I have not found visibility an issue.

personally I think the A3 is very dull in particular the interior and I really don't like the shape of the top of dash board and the round air vents.
I agree about the parking sensors - they ought to be standard!

I disagree about them looking awful, I don't even notice them! But then maybe it's to do with my car being black? Though I would have thought they are colour coded anyway and so shouldn’t stand out in any colour.

Agree about the A3, it's a nice enough car, but a little boring, and why people are comparing the Scirocco to the A3 I do not know.
When I bought it I was debating between it and the TT (amongst others) most definitely not the A3.
steve
Options: panoramic sunroof, truffle leather, winter pack, dynaudio soundpack, parking and tyre sensors, cruise control, carpet mats

Post by steve »

I couldn't bring myself to fork out on the Sav Nav.

I had it and used it a lot in my last car but when I tried it out during my test drive in the Scirocco, it only allowed the first 5 characters of a postcode to be entered. I entered my home postcode to see how it would cope and it directed me to the neighbouring street.

I would prefer to have something built into the car for all sorts of reasons, but opted for a TomTom as it cost a fraction of the VW unit and does a better job (IMHO).
Magnust

Post by Magnust »

robrob wrote: I agree about the parking sensors - they ought to be standard!
i'd have to disagree, i also think they mess up the rear a bit and i would be ok with them if they weren't visible and i wouldn't have to pay for them.
guess im used to parking without them, my current rx-8 doesn't have the best visibility either but i do just fine.
heavymetalmayhem

robrob wrote:
heavymetalmayhem wrote:
Agree about the A3, it's a nice enough car, but a little boring, and why people are comparing the Scirocco to the A3 I do not know.
When I bought it I was debating between it and the TT (amongst others) most definitely not the A3.
Good point.

A rear view camera hidden under the lip above the number plate would be a good solution to rear visibility.
greeper
Options: DVD Satellite Navigation, Leather (black), Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack, Folding Mirrors, Premium sills, Boot liner, Alloy pedals, Parrot 3200LS

Post by greeper »

I have decided to go with the Sirocco :clap:

I was looking at an A3 SLine as well as these are the only two cars I would consider swapping the ST for. I did consider a BMW 120d M Sport Coupe but they never got back to me about a test drive.

I was looking at the best small coupe avaliable and the best hatchback hence the Scirocco and A3 comparison (my opinion). S3 is a little too expensive and has mixed reviews, the new GTi won't be out in time and I have to keep the car to a value of below £26K and under 230g of Co2. TT is a little too expensive when I add the toys I want :D and the Scirocco looks better imho.

I have driven a Gallado on a track and liked it's equivalent of DSG a lot, but I have not tried it on normal roads. My friend has it in his golf but he is in Beijing and Hong Kong for a month so I can't borrow his car, he has had DSG for just over three years and loves it. I think I will take the chance and get it.

Colour wise I am torn between Red and Rising Blue.. I normally have blue cars but I saw a red one parked up and really liked it.

Thanks for the comments!
steve
Options: panoramic sunroof, truffle leather, winter pack, dynaudio soundpack, parking and tyre sensors, cruise control, carpet mats

Post by steve »

Good Man! :clap:

What's the spec then? :)
DavidH
Options: Vienna Leather, Xenons, Dynaudio, Factory Bluetooth and Mats

Post by DavidH »

I think you made the right choice.The A3 is a nice enough car but it's 5 1/2 year old model now and starting to get a little past it,despite the facelifts.I had one of the first new shape one's (summer '03) and liked it a lot,kept it for 4 years,but i wouldn't buy one now over the scirocco,no way.
heavymetalmayhem

greeper wrote:I have decided to go with the Sirocco :clap:
A good choice :happybanana:

Not sure which thread to write this on so I will just write it here...

I drove the Scirocco without the parcel shelf and with the rear seats folded down for the first time today and my god did it sound awesome!
gossa
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Post by gossa »

heavymetalmayhem wrote:
greeper wrote:I have decided to go with the Sirocco :clap:
A good choice :happybanana:

Not sure which thread to write this on so I will just write it here...

I drove the Scirocco without the parcel shelf and with the rear seats folded down for the first time today and my god did it sound awesome!
Did you also notice that the rear visibility was way better too without the headrests? Mine sounds pretty fruity with the seats up, must try it with them down!