Anyone on here used to have a BMW?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
nicebiscuit

Anyone on here used to have a BMW?

Post by nicebiscuit »

Hi

Have narrowed down a company car choice to a likely shortlist of a Scirocco 1.4 TSI or BMW 120d Coupe. I prefer the look of the Scirocco - it's gorgeous, but I am tempted by the BMW as well. Are there any Scirocco owners here with experience of the BMW who can offer a comparison?

Any opinions (however biased!) welcome ;)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: Anyone on here used to have a BMW?

Post by trix »

I didn't have a BMW but it was certainly seriously considered in my list of cars to replace the pug 306 I had, I DEFINITELY think I made the right choice with the Roc though!!!! (have you seen how many 1 series' you see on the roads now these days!)

(you said it didn't matter how biased it was :lol: )
nicebiscuit

Post by nicebiscuit »

True!

You don't see many 1 Series Coupes though - mainly hatchbacks - and I'm not considering those - properly ugly IMO - they styled the front, styled the middle then knocked off early for the weekend and forgot to design the back...

Mind you my Dad reckons the Scirocco looks like a Golf that someone's sat on. I sort of agree but I think that's why I like it!
phillips1321
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: sat nav
leather
patking sensors

Post by phillips1321 »

Same problem for me about a year ago, but the Roc was a 2.0 Tsi. In the end it came down to the drive. Having test driven them, to me the Roc with a proper petrol engine was far better than the BM good as it was!. I've not driven the 1.4 so I can't comment on the Roc with that engine.
For road presence and the overall driving experience, imho, it would have to be the Roc. The only thing is, if you don't like being looked at all the time and having complete strangers asking you about your car, have the BM. :)
nicebiscuit

Post by nicebiscuit »

Sadly can't have the 2.0TSI - not because of cost, but because of a company CO2 cap. :(

Still - the 1.4 TSI will be quite fast enough for me, although it'll have to have the optional 18" wheels on.
jc74
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

nicebiscuit wrote:Hi

Have narrowed down a company car choice to a likely shortlist of a Scirocco 1.4 TSI or BMW 120d Coupe. I prefer the look of the Scirocco - it's gorgeous, but I am tempted by the BMW as well. Are there any Scirocco owners here with experience of the BMW who can offer a comparison?

Any opinions (however biased!) welcome ;)
I used to own a BMW 118d, and have had extended test drives in a 120d 3dr and a 120i convertible. And have also experience with the 330i and 320i...

My verdict is, if you want a diesel engine on a manual box and don't care what the car looks like, I'd definitely got for the BMW 120d, it's a fantastic engine, and other than the run flats, I'd say the handling etc is superb.

However... if you've going for an Auto, I'd definitely go for the VW DSG!
Also, I wouldn't consider a 120i gutless on the low end!

Good luck with your choice!
pete1747
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
Options: Rear sensors,

Post by pete1747 »

Hi,
I have owned a 320d M sport and drive a 530 touring for work.
My wife wanted a 1 series but after the 320 I would not have another BM. The thing I dislike most are the run flat tyres. Very harsh ride on country roads, they 'track' any road imperfections and generaly get on my nerves.
I havent driven a coupe though, but the leg room in the back of the hatch is terrible.

I've done around 2500 miles in the Roc now and can't realy fault it. I seem to have had none of the small problems that some have experienced on here (wipers and such like)
The dealer has been very good and i would definatly recommend the Roc. It certainly is a car that gets noticed, unlike the 3 series, (even the coupe). :yes:
tony4147
In: Salsa Red
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS510 SatNav/BT, Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Factory Mats

Post by tony4147 »

I had a 120d hatch a few years ago and now own a 1.4tsi. The BMW had a great engine and was a great drivers car but very common. Reliability was not great had a few minor issues, the roc is a more refined comfortable car and less common. I would never buy a BM again, just didn't suit me.
quality reflects
Options: Parking sensors, leather, winter pack. Bluefin.

Post by quality reflects »

I have had a 530 D M sport and a 320i 2008 vert, which was a mistake. Poor running, poor paint and customer service has gone for a ball of chalk.
http://www.qualityreflects.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regular work updates here:
http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww12 ... yReflects/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quality-R ... 4070809482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twitter: @qulityreflects
dubdemand

Post by dubdemand »

Strangely enough I needed to make the same decision 4-6 months ago. I was looking at the 2.0tdi orthe 120d coupe... both great cars but the BM has slightly more power and rwd! I have come from a long line of VAG cars, my last being a Leon Cupra R so for me it was time to try something different and the thought of staying german was a must.

The Rocco looks fantastic on the road and very different to most of the jelly mold designs that churn off production lines these days - if you want to be noticed then you can't go wrong with Candy white! Spec wise you will get more for your money with the VW. My budget was £26K and that bought the Rocco with tons of extra's where as I was limited with the BM meaning I couldn't have full leather or Xenon headlights :mad:

So with all that in mind I chose the BMW :lol:

Basicly the Rocco can look slightly wrong when viewed from certain angles (back rear corner). The Stance as standard doesn't look as well fitting as the BM and being a company car I won't be doing any major mods. The interior quality isn't as good in the VW and the driving position is much more on top than inside. The though of rwd was appealing to me as it's something I haven't had for a good number of years and I also think the 1er Coupe will age better in the long run... mine has the M Sport kit and suspension and I can deffo say that the ride is way better than my old Cupra R. Much less crashy even with the run flats and 35 profile tyres compared to my previous 40 profile 'normal' tyres!

Anyways we makes our choices and all that. Each time I see a Rocco I still find myself hankering as it was so close between the 2! I have secretly (don't tell the wife) decided that one will have to join the BM in a few years time when her A2 needs to make way for something else ;) :lol:

Best of luck deciding - I doubt you'll be dissapointed either way!

If you're anywhere near the Guildford area you're welcome to come and have a look round mine and go for a spin!

wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

got a soft spot for that white 1 series coupes as they are a real, especailly if a 123d or 135

my neighbour has just got a 330d m-sport and i think its a cracking motor
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

does look very nice mate, did you have any extras?? also what comes with the m sport package??

oh and how much plz for the car im very curious
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver

Post by sir_rocco »

I test drove a 123d coupe and was undecided to go for one of those or the roc, chose the roc as there was just something about the style of the 1 series that I could not put my finger on. That said, the 123d engine is a peach, pulls so so strongly from 1200 rpm, does not have the usual diesel clatter and the seat was so adjustable you could get a perfect driving position.

If I was choosing today then I think I would have even more of a dilemma. Over time, the 1 series coupe has grown on me, I have had the roc 15 months (modified from the off) but have never totally settled with it, unlike my previous GTi which I thought was the dogs danglies.

I am sure that whatever you choose, you will always have that "what if" regarding the other model as both are good cars in their own way. If you want to be noticed though, the roc is the way to go. I still get loads of stares 15 months on :clap:
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
nicebiscuit

Post by nicebiscuit »

dubdemand wrote:If you're anywhere near the Guildford area you're welcome to come and have a look round mine and go for a spin!
That's a really generous offer - thanks! Unfortunately I'm in the North-West so can't take you up on it...

That 120d of yours looks great. Really interesting to read your thoughts. Almost exactly what I'm thinking. In the end it may well come down to delivery dates, in which case the BMW may win, this time...

In favour of the Scirocco - concept car looks, better audio, hatchback, rear seat space, not a diesel.
In favour of the BMW - bigger boot (difficult to believe but true), rear wheel drive (for a change), better visibility.

Regarding the looks - I think both look odd from certain angles. The BMW is too short and looks abit dumpy in certain trims/colours, whereas the Scirocco looks a bit fat from the back. But the Scirocco still looks genuinely different from anything else and is properly desirable - more so than an Audi TT in my opinion.

What a nice choice to be able to make though - not going to be disappointed either way, am I... I wonder if I can pursue your strategy of getting the other one as a second car in a couple of years - now there's a thought :)
kianok
In: Deep Black
Options: C 320 CDi

Post by kianok »

wigit wrote:my neighbour has just got a 330d m-sport and i think its a cracking motor
Thats what I had before my roc. Best car i've ever owned by a mile.
nicebiscuit

Post by nicebiscuit »

If a 330d was an option for me it would be a no-brainer!! Awesome engine, that...
Scooby-Doo

Post by Scooby-Doo »

more so than an Audi TT in my opinion
should have gone to Specsavers :shake: :shake:
Rising_SiD
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Metallic Paint, De-badged & No DRL's

Post by Rising_SiD »

Scooby-Doo wrote:
more so than an Audi TT in my opinion
should have gone to Specsavers :shake: :shake:
Tell that to the TT drivers I see daily staring at my car...........

:clap:
nicebiscuit

Post by nicebiscuit »

Scooby-Doo wrote: should have gone to Specsavers :shake: :shake:
I did, as it happens... Still think the Scirocco's better looking. That said, for looks alone I'd take a Mk1 TT over either... (going a bit OT now)
dubdemand

Post by dubdemand »

SCOTT wrote:does look very nice mate, did you have any extras?? also what comes with the m sport package??

oh and how much plz for the car im very curious
M Sport gives you upgraded suspension - lower and firmer. Bigger bumpers and side skirts - much more aggressive looking than standard. Sports seats with loads of adjustment and inflatable side bolsters which give amazing levels of grip - best seats I've ever sat in! M Sport multi function wheel and gear knob. Black headlining. You also get an extended lighting pack which illuminates the foot wells, vanity mirrors and the coolest feature which is the LED puddle lights built into the handles. Think thats about it but there maybe more...

I also opted for a few must have essentials:

1. Upgrade to the business HIFI 10 speaker system. The standard audio is utter poo! The upgrade provides better quality speakers with additional tweeters in the front and back and larger woofers under the seats. They are also amplified. Overall I am really impressed with the sound quality. Good range of audio and strong bass although you only have bass/treble control so fine adjustment of the system is slightly lacking. It suits either Metal or Dance the best and will go loud enough that you can't hear what your passenger is screaming as you blast down country lanes :lol:
There is a level up from this called Logic 7 which gives you an even more powerful amp and an EQ on the head unit but I couldn't justify the extra £400 over this system.

2. USB port. Allows connection of either a memory stick or iPod/iPhone. I have a 16gb stick in mine with over 200 albums which is more than enough for me. Worth noting that you have to buy a £39 lead from BMW if you want to use the iPod as the standard lead is not compatible!!!

3. Professional head unit. Bigger display, better audio quality more control over the functions and you can also interrogate the cars computer.

4. Sun protection glass and grey windscreen band. Absolute must with any white car IMO.

5. 18'' 261m rims. Another benefit of the white paint as these cost the same as if I'd gone for a metallic hue! The standard 17'' M Sport wheels look poo IMO

And that was it... I would have also liked red leather and xenon’s but the budget wouldn't allow :fall:

Overall order value was £26,320 although being a lease car I'm sure the lease company paid less!

If I'd opted for the Rocco it would have been Candy white, truffle leather, dynn audio, panoramic roof and the 19's. Budget still wouldn't have allowed for xenon’s and they weren't available either when it was time for me to place an order - I think VW have since sorted this out as I've seen a couple of 59 plates with them now...

I also agree with the comments made about both cars having slightly odd angles. I'm not overly keen on my coupe from head on but any other angle looks great!

Hope this helps provide someone with some better informed advice...
Last edited by dubdemand on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.