Good Deal?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
christof
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise control, folding mirrors and tyre pressure indicator.

Good Deal?

Post by christof »

Hi
I have been haggling with a dealer for a pewter grey scirocco that he has sitting in the showroom, brand new unregistered. He has offered me around a grand less than what glass guide say my car is worth (Honda) and his car is full price. Yesterday I said I would put down a deposit if he could do mats, full tank and let me keep the tax off my car, he said no and I said I would leave it at that. I know the scirocco is in short supply but I also know the dealer has more profit in the car and could do better.
I am not too bothered about getting a car right now and am considering visiting another dealer to get a price for another, to be delivered in January apparently.
Drive the deal offer around £1500 quid off but don't do part ex, although delivery would be around March I think.
What do you guys think?
boss1812
In: Salsa Red

Re: Good Deal?

Post by boss1812 »

go for dealer deal, the wait would kill you
christof

Post by christof »

boss1812 wrote:go for dealer deal, the wait would kill you
cheers, I know from other posts that delivery times can drag on a little. I just wondered about the 0 discount offered, do you think I am likely to get a discount anywhere :?
lancs_lad
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: DAB Radio, Parking Sensors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by lancs_lad »

Where do you live? Gilders Sheffield offered me £500 discount and promised to waive the VAT increase approx 2 weeks ago with a half decent trade in for my current car. Had to wait until March for a new one though. They did have a couple of used models to sell and a new white diesel with panoramic roof in the showroom when I was in. (Don't know the exact spec though)
christof

Post by christof »

lancs_lad wrote:Where do you live? Gilders Sheffield offered me £500 discount and promised to waive the VAT increase approx 2 weeks ago with a half decent trade in for my current car. Had to wait until March for a new one though. They did have a couple of used models to sell and a new white diesel with panoramic roof in the showroom when I was in. (Don't know the exact spec though)
I live in Shropshire, don't mind travelling for the best deal though. Thanks I will give them a call.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

One of the things to be careful with is that if you go for a car that wont be delivered until January or March time that any part-ex value they give you will be held until then - it may end up that there isn't much difference to what you're being offered now if they want to knock several hunderd pounds off your p/x due to them not getting it for a few months.

Deacon
playing in my '86
christof

Post by christof »

Deacon wrote:One of the things to be careful with is that if you go for a car that wont be delivered until January or March time that any part-ex value they give you will be held until then - it may end up that there isn't much difference to what you're being offered now if they want to knock several hunderd pounds off your p/x due to them not getting it for a few months.

Deacon
Yes, they keep saying that used car prices are going to drop in the next couple of months and they are valuing my car accordingly.
TBH I am a little surprised that the dealer refused to throw in the mats and fuel, must be around £100 pounds all in for him on the sale of a £22000 car, still that's up to him!
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

christof wrote:
Deacon wrote:One of the things to be careful with is that if you go for a car that wont be delivered until January or March time that any part-ex value they give you will be held until then - it may end up that there isn't much difference to what you're being offered now if they want to knock several hunderd pounds off your p/x due to them not getting it for a few months.

Deacon
Yes, they keep saying that used car prices are going to drop in the next couple of months and they are valuing my car accordingly.
TBH I am a little surprised that the dealer refused to throw in the mats and fuel, must be around £100 pounds all in for him on the sale of a £22000 car, still that's up to him!
Yeah, it does seem a little pathetic on their part - I know the 'roc's are in short supply but you would have thought mats and fuel would stop them selling a 22k car! Dealers = :?

Deacon
playing in my '86
ayc1985
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: Parking Sensors
Pano Sunroof
Cruise Control
Vienna Leather
Black 18' Talladegas

To come:

Sat Nav
Bluetooth

Post by ayc1985 »

When I bought my car i managed to get them to include GAP insurance, Tyre Insurance, Paint guarding, Scirocco Mats, Full tank of petrol and years road fund license. See if you can haggle for any of the above.
christof

Post by christof »

ayc1985 wrote:When I bought my car i managed to get them to include GAP insurance, Tyre Insurance, Paint guarding, Scirocco Mats, Full tank of petrol and years road fund license. See if you can haggle for any of the above.
I cant seem to get anything out of them at the moment, you did great, well done!! :)
I guess they see it as why would you discount something that is in high demand and short supply. Maybe I should wait 6 months or so then look again. I dont mind as I am not in a mega hurry.
ayc1985
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: Parking Sensors
Pano Sunroof
Cruise Control
Vienna Leather
Black 18' Talladegas

To come:

Sat Nav
Bluetooth

Post by ayc1985 »

If you're not in ahurry and are waiting for 6 months why not try a few other dealers out, get some cards and write figures on the back (realistic ones). Take the cards to otherdealers and see if they can try to beat/match it. It worked for a friend of mine!
christof

Post by christof »

Thanks all, i guess my immediate scirocco plans are on ice for now. I will keep you posted if anything changes.
Chris
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

you need to have a look a various rocs mate, get a price in your head that your happy with then call into the dealers.
if the first one refuses you try another, i visited many while looking for my roc :)
christof

Post by christof »

SCOTT wrote:you need to have a look a various rocs mate, get a price in your head that your happy with then call into the dealers.
if the first one refuses you try another, i visited many while looking for my roc :)
I think new is my best bet as used are holding their value well, in some cases more expensive than list price on new cars. I have tried 4 dealers up to yet, i will try some more as and when i get time. Sooner or later one will do a deal!
christof

Post by christof »

Right, put a deposit down tonight. Did not tell the missus, she is 'ok' with it at the mo! I went to Wolverhampton VW and actually got a decent deal. The car was not discounted as such but I got their last allocated build for Jan delivery and a very good part ex with mats etc.. Compared to Inchcape yesterday, they offered £3000 more for my car in January which is good.
Just gotta decide on colour and whether I want a sunroof or not. decisions, decisions.
Thanks for the advice peeps. :)
gavmac89
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: Winter Pack, Sensors, Mats, Metal Pedals and Electric Folding Mirrors, Premium Sills and boot liner

Post by gavmac89 »

Good stuff Christof, good you got one of the last allocations! From some of the posts on here about the pana it looks better than its actually worth, thats why I didnt go for it. As for the colour I personally think white is becoming too popular and rising blue is the best (not just because thats what i ordered) because it shows off the car really well especially on a bright day!
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Excellent work Chris - welcome to the club!

For me piano roof is not worth it - spend it on the 19's instead!

Deacon
playing in my '86
christof

Post by christof »

Cheers guys, I test drove a white one with a pana roof and that's what got me started, I was thinking non metallic white and put the money towards a sunroof (or something else)!.
Pleasantly surprised with the diesel engine, very quiet and refined, I test drove a diesel golf in 2006 and that was really tractor like they must have refined\soundproofed it a bit more on to roc.
I have to let him know early next week regarding colour and options etc..
Roll on Jan I guess, the missus will probably be talking to me properly by then too!
pete1747
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Rear sensors,

Post by pete1747 »

Good to hear you got a deal. I think that if you are willing to wait, as you seem to be, the advantage is with you. I bought a car that was in stook in the showroom and i knew that if I didnt by it there were three others waiting for my decision.
However I still got mats sensors and a tank of fuel, I think any dealer should give you that on a car of this price.

Colour? I've got white, not so sure about that now with this weather. I would have also considered Black or Green if you want to stand out.
christof

Post by christof »

pete1747 wrote:Good to hear you got a deal. I think that if you are willing to wait, as you seem to be, the advantage is with you. I bought a car that was in stook in the showroom and i knew that if I didnt by it there were three others waiting for my decision.
However I still got mats sensors and a tank of fuel, I think any dealer should give you that on a car of this price.

Colour? I've got white, not so sure about that now with this weather. I would have also considered Black or Green if you want to stand out.
I hear differing accounts of the level of profit in these cars, my dealer said all they have is a grand but yes I agree they should throw in fuel, mats etc.. on a 20 grand car.
I have narrowed it down to black or white, I am swaying more towards the white at the mo (sorry deacon)! I just think its the best colour for the scirocco IMHO, I spent ages yesterday looking at pics and even went into the dealer to look on those card things. I did wonder about the British weather and white though!