Is it Possible to get a discount off a Roc?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
markjp
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Ultra Violet
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Electric 12 Way Seats, Smoking Pack, 90% Rear Tint, Gloss Back Door Mirrors

Is it Possible to get a discount off a Roc?

Post by markjp »

Hi

Went for a test drive yesterday in a 2.0 TSi and now I want one!

Waiting for the dealer to get back to me on the value of my part/ex.

However they are saying no discount off the Roc. I haven't pushed them on this but they are coming out with the usual that the car is in short supply and the demand is there so could sell to someone else.

Has anybody been able to get a discount direct from a dealer and in particular from the Caffyns network of dealers?

I like the car a lot, but I have never paid full price for a car before.

Mark
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Is it Possible to get a discount off a Roc?

Post by RW1 »

Welcome Mark,

Obviously not a px situation but gives you what may be possible by pressuring the local dealers.

There are for instance:
MyCarQuotes http://www.mycarquotes.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Broadspeed http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/Volkswagen/Scirocco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange Wheels http://www.orangewheels.co.uk/buy-new/v ... rocco.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something to play with to give you a few ideas and indicate discount in some way is possible still.
Try other dealers near you. I went to 8 before the I got what I wanted.
Not a good as it use to be but the above indicates it's worth shopping around.

Chris
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
jc74
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

RW1 wrote:Welcome Mark,

Obviously not a px situation but gives you what may be possible by pressuring the local dealers.

There are for instance:
MyCarQuotes http://www.mycarquotes.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Broadspeed http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/Volkswagen/Scirocco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange Wheels http://www.orangewheels.co.uk/buy-new/v ... rocco.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something to play with to give you a few ideas and indicate discount in some way is possible still.
Try other dealers near you. I went to 8 before the I got what I wanted.
Not a good as it use to be but the above indicates it's worth shopping around.

Chris
Don't forget, you don't have to px, you can use something like webuyanycar.com. That way get the broker quote, get the webuyanycar price for yoru car, and that's the cost to change you should be getting the dealer to match...
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

I've not been shopping around since I ordered mine back in March 09 when I easily got 10% off. Since then, and since you ordered yours in June 09 Chris, the supply problems seems to have worsened. With that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if dealers were holding back on discounts completely.
Think about it. If there are more customers than available cars, why should a dealer discount 5% to the first customer to walk thru the door when the next customer might pay full price.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Would agree its less likely now to get even a small discount but each dealer varies. I tried to find the post this week where someone stated they had manged 7% last week. Theres bad financial news out at the mo. Time to pounce this coming fortnight.

Personally I fell flat on my face as within 15 mins into haggling, the local dealer had hit my internet price I had in my back pocket, just by mentioning my expectations. This was the 8th dealership in Manc and I was really going to Macc. Still don't know why they went for it. I don't like an easy path, get suspicious I've missed a little more. Anyway, what counts is I'm chuffed and the dealer's salesman is happy as well. And I'm dealing locally.

The next problem is your delivery. Be simple and it's in the showrooms, be complicated with factory order and you'll be looking at 3 to 5 months depending on model.

So, Mark, shop around, see what half a dozen dealers are doing this week but move quickly if theres a good deal on the table. After you've got the Scirocco you can form your local dealership relationship for convenience. I feel it was worth while spending a week on the road touring dealers. Amazing how they differ.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Gary_Monkey
In: Rising Blue
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

Welcome to the board Markjp. This is the right place to find answers.

If it helps I ordered my car 30 June and got an 8.64% discount when ordering through Broadspeed. Not bad considering the demand is so high and production is low.

You just have to shop around but I doubt a traditional vw dealer will match an internet price.

Once you drive one... you just gotta buy one. It happened to me :nod:

Gary
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
candystar
Options: Leather, cruise, mats, parking sensors

Post by candystar »

As a few people have already said, best advice is to shop around. I played two dealers against each other (which they don't always like) and I came out with about a 6% discount and some extras thrown in... in the end, the dealer I wanted to do business with came in with the best offer which was lucky and that was without pushing really hard! That was back in July...things may be a bit trickier now that most dealers have sold out their allocations into next year.
markjp
Options: Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Electric 12 Way Seats, Smoking Pack, 90% Rear Tint, Gloss Back Door Mirrors

Post by markjp »

RW1 wrote:Would agree its less likely now to get even a small discount but each dealer varies. I tried to find the post this week where someone stated they had manged 7% last week. Theres bad financial news out at the mo. Time to pounce this coming fortnight.

Personally I fell flat on my face as within 15 mins into haggling, the local dealer had hit my internet price I had in my back pocket, just by mentioning my expectations. This was the 8th dealership in Manc and I was really going to Macc. Still don't know why they went for it. I don't like an easy path, get suspicious I've missed a little more. Anyway, what counts is I'm chuffed and the dealer's salesman is happy as well. And I'm dealing locally.

The next problem is your delivery. Be simple and it's in the showrooms, be complicated with factory order and you'll be looking at 3 to 5 months depending on model.

So, Mark, shop around, see what half a dozen dealers are doing this week but move quickly if theres a good deal on the table. After you've got the Scirocco you can form your local dealership relationship for convenience. I feel it was worth while spending a week on the road touring dealers. Amazing how they differ.
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I didnt realise the options you chose could impact on the delivery times. I was thinking of ordering a TSI GT 210 with parking sensors & possibly cruise and folding mirrors.

The dealer said he couldn't check the system for a delivery date until he places the order, but would expect it to be sometime in January. However reading other posts on the forum that looks a bit optimistic wouldn't you say.

He did say VW would pay the 2.5% increase in VAT for a Jan/Feb delivery.

Mark
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

"The dealer said he couldn't check the system for a delivery date until he places the order, but would expect it to be sometime in January. However reading other posts on the forum that looks a bit optimistic wouldn't you say."

The dealer knows roughly where his allocation is. Being January the salesman may be using a cancellation.

Also came across this while in a finacial section while deciding where to store some ill gotten gains. Inchcape are the parent company of a lot of UK VW dealerships and well as other makes....

Inchcape's Joy
Car dealer Inchcape is gearing up for better-than- expected annual profits thanks to the Government's £300m "cash-for-bangers" scheme. The business surpassed management hopes in the third quarter but Inchcape said under-lying demand remained weak.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

RW1 wrote:Inchcape's Joy
Car dealer Inchcape is gearing up for better-than- expected annual profits thanks to the Government's £300m "cash-for-bangers" scheme. The business surpassed management hopes in the third quarter but Inchcape said under-lying demand remained weak.

C.
I saw that as well Chris, Manc Evening News I think. I noted it as Inchscape seem to have some involvement with the dealership where I bought my Roc - Gilbert Lawton.
BTW the way you describe getting your good deal was just the way it happened to me. Didn't even need to pull out the internet price in my pocket. All felt a bit odd. Not the kind of car buying I'd been used to.
lancs_lad
In: Salsa Red
Options: DAB Radio, Parking Sensors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by lancs_lad »

I ordered a 1.4TSI last week and maaged just under 8% through http://www.uknewcars.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The car is sourced near Cardiff and should be with me by March. http://www.coasttocoastcars.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; were also very competitive coming in at about the same discount. I checked a few other onternet brokers but a lot weren't quoting on the Scirocco.

Steve
peter.vw
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Post by peter.vw »

hi got 9% discount in june from my dealer used drivethedeal.com as a tool to drive down the price but you must shop around, Remember tell them no discount no sale and thats what they want to do. good luck :vibes:
pete1747
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Rear sensors,

Post by pete1747 »

I think it simply depends what you want and when you want it. I was in the market for a car right now. My PX price had gone up £750 since June, the PX car was due a £300 service within 200 miles and the dealer had the right car in the showroom ready to go.

I paid book price, but I got free reversing sensors fitted, free quality mats, and a tank of fuel. I know I could have got it cheaper on the web but I didn't want to wait until March. So this deal suited me.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

well put pete.
if you want a deal then with the current situation you have to be prepared to wait, look around & deal hard. if you need a car now or are not willing to wait then you have to compromise somewhere but if you try you can still get some handy stuff thrown in.

S
markjp

Post by markjp »

Well I've sucumbed and ordered a Roc!

2.0 TSI 210 in Shadow Blue with Rear Parking Sensors and Folding Mirrors.

Got very little discount, basically the dealer is providing the Parking sensors and mats FOC also delivery should be January so will save on the VAT increase. They had an allocation of one for October.

Other dealers were quoting March/April delivery and VW will not be paying the VAT increase past 28 Feb.

Salesman told me he won't know a build week for a couple of weeks. Does that sound right?

Now come the hardest part. The wait !! :(

Mark
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

congrats mark

yes it is always a few weeks after order before you find out your build week, don't fret.

S