VW reduces production of the Scirocco

All the info you need to know about the new VW Scirocco.
roydburn
In: Opal Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: VW reduces production of the Scirocco

Post by roydburn »

I ordered a 2.0TDi GT in mid-July 2009 as a company car. I was originally quoted 10wks by the lease company, but when I asked for an update today I was told it would now be delivered on 23rd November! I was told that every build slot for this year has gone, and most of next year's allocation has already been sold. They said if I ordered today it would be a nine month plus waiting time.

I asked if there were any vehicles already built which I could have instead, even if it meant changing my options... apparently VW dealers are charging a £2,000 premium on these vehicles because they're so popular. So my next plan of attack is to try and negotiate a reduction in my lease cost... if they're so popular, they're not going to be depreciating much!
Gary_Monkey
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

I ordered my 1.4 TSI on the 1st July.

My estimated (not yet confirmed) build week is currently 43 with a delivery of mid-November (via a vw dealer in Scotland).

I firmly believe something happened at the Portuguese factory in mid-June. Production seemed to take a turn for the worse at this point in time. I was being quoted anywhere between 12-16 weeks from various sources at that time. Now it's more like 22 weeks and much worse for other people being told they won't see a car until next year.

Does anybody have any reliable information about production at the Portuguese plant?
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

Gary_Monkey wrote:I ordered my 1.4 TSI on the 1st July.

My estimated (not yet confirmed) build week is currently 43 with a delivery of mid-November (via a vw dealer in Scotland).

I firmly believe something happened at the Portuguese factory in mid-June. Production seemed to take a turn for the worse at this point in time. I was being quoted anywhere between 12-16 weeks from various sources at that time. Now it's more like 22 weeks and much worse for other people being told they won't see a car until next year.

Does anybody have any reliable information about production at the Portuguese plant?
Production was reduced but people didn't expect it to take effect until September time. What you'll probably find is that it's the dealer allocation that's causing problems - from what I can gather, allocation was reduced to 2 per dealer per month for the Scirocco, so any outstanding orders would take those allocations. So you're likely to still have a 12 - 16 week build time from the time the dealer can get the order into the system, and you'll be in a queue for that with orders placed before yours.

I briefly asked a salesman when I was down at the dealer today finalising figures, and he commented that plans were in place to reduce production based on the economy and have been surprised by level of demand. The golfs are in a similar situation with lead times into next year for the GTD as that's what I was talking about initially.

Whether they can quickly ramp up production remains to be seen though - difficult if you've laid of a proportion of your staff recently, in the UK you wouldn't be able to rehire immediately without it looking like unfair dismissal for those who have been laid off.
Gary_Monkey
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car built Build Week 43.

Post by Gary_Monkey »

"ayeaye"

From the sound of what you're saying, VW have got themselves in a right pickle regarding their production schedule and planning. They seem to have totally underestimated demand for the Scirocco.

If they have laid people off (and I don't know that they have) it would indeed look dodgey to re-hire hundreds of skilled staff to meet this unexpected demand.

I am somewhat alarmed to learn that my VW dealer, in Scotland, is holding my order back until outstanding orders are up to date. I feel a little naive because I thought that once you'd paid your deposit (1K in my case) and the order was placed with VW, that's it, the clock is ticking. This is obviously not the case and has led to enormous frustration on my part. What can't my dealer just tell me what is really happening.

Thanks for your info.

Gary
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

I'm assuming you're going through a broker since you're down in Cheshire yet ordering through a dealer north of the border? Who initially told you 12 - 16 weeks - the broker or the supplying dealer?

Not surprised you're frustrated - it's been bad enough waiting 11 weeks, having to wait double that would have driven me up the wall - I think I got my order in just at the right time.

Out of interest, who is the dealer?
Gary_Monkey

Car built Build Week 43.

Post by Gary_Monkey »

ayeaye wrote:I'm assuming you're going through a broker since you're down in Cheshire yet ordering through a dealer north of the border? Who initially told you 12 - 16 weeks - the broker or the supplying dealer?

Not surprised you're frustrated - it's been bad enough waiting 11 weeks, having to wait double that would have driven me up the wall - I think I got my order in just at the right time.

Out of interest, who is the dealer?
"ayeaye"

My order journey went like this:

First contact through Broadspeed. They quoted 10-14 weeks. I placed my order with them. They then passed me over to Ingrams of Ayrshire (http://www.ingramvolkswagen.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I have been dealing with them ever since. However once my deposit was placed and the order went to VW they changed their tune and started quoting me more like 22 weeks. I was very, very cross and kicked up a huge stink but it didn't change a thing. I even had the Sales Manager on the phone trying to calm me down. During this time I considered canceling my order because I felt hoodwinked. Kinda glad I didn't now. Mainly because I've had chance to simmer down. However, I have to push my lazy sales guy to get any information out of him. When he does respond it's always a one line email with very little new information. Grr

Gary
alymac
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: dvd nav, dynaudio,cruise,parking sensors,leather,19"s,

Post by alymac »

i had a quick dealing with ingrams on around the 24th july, was thro a broker who tried to place an order and was told then, that they would not be able to place the order this year let alone supply a car this year.

i must have be luck as two days latter placed order with vw in huntingdon fro delivery in nov
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Gary - when my delivery time went up from 12 weeks to 16 weeks I rang the dealer and they agreed that as things had changed significantly since I paid my deposit they would have no issues with me cancelling my order and returning my deposit. I would think that applies to you too. If you can find a dealer who can supply the car you want quicker you might want to try moving your deposit.
Mind you I suspect that since the time when I placed my order supplies had started to dry up and they knew that they could sesll my order easily - and probably then at a higher price than I had negociated.
Not sure what's going on at VW but the Roc along with some other models is becoming very hard to get with ridicualous delivery times. I think I count myself lucky now only having to had to wait 16 weeks.
roydburn
In: Opal Silver

Post by roydburn »

Gary_Monkey wrote:
"ayeaye"

First contact through Broadspeed. They quoted 10-14 weeks. I placed my order with them. They then passed me over to Ingrams of Ayrshire (http://www.ingramvolkswagen.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I have been dealing with them ever since. However once my deposit was placed and the order went to VW they changed their tune and started quoting me more like 22 weeks. I was very, very cross and kicked up a huge stink but it didn't change a thing. I even had the Sales Manager on the phone trying to calm me down. During this time I considered canceling my order because I felt hoodwinked. Kinda glad I didn't now. Mainly because I've had chance to simmer down. However, I have to push my lazy sales guy to get any information out of him. When he does respond it's always a one line email with very little new information. Grr

Gary
This sounds very familiar. When I initially placed my order through the lease company, I was told the estimated lead time was 10 weeks. Only after the deposit had been paid did it suddenly increase to what is more like 18 weeks. I wonder if VW dealers are deliberately misquoting delivery times, just to get the orders in?
Gary_Monkey

Car built Build Week 43.

Post by Gary_Monkey »

roydburn wrote:
Gary_Monkey wrote:
"ayeaye"

Gary
This sounds very familiar. When I initially placed my order through the lease company, I was told the estimated lead time was 10 weeks. Only after the deposit had been paid did it suddenly increase to what is more like 18 weeks. I wonder if VW dealers are deliberately misquoting delivery times, just to get the orders in?
"roydburn"

Logic tells me somebody in the chain is telling lies (or being economical with the truth which is lying in my book). Who knows who it is. It could be the brokers who want their commission (pass on fee) or it could be VW wanting to keep the orders flowing whilst knowing full well that production in Portugal can not meet demand. Whoever it is I still feel very bitter about being mislead and in some ways miss-sold. It is the deceit which I find hard to shrug off.

I'm not too happy about things.. just grinning and bearing it really. All I want is my shiny new Scirocco.

Gary
boss1812
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Salsa Red

Post by boss1812 »

i must confess i have been very well treated. placed my order with a vw dealership in ni and was told straight at the time that it would be 10-14 weeks. when i ordered on 20 july, week 29, i was told immediately i had one of the july slots and have since been told a confirmed build week 37 and due week 39-40. i get a regular update via email from the sales team and they have hidden nothing from me.
infinidim
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Viper Green
Options: with most option but not the navigation system.......

Post by infinidim »

The dealer that we have got ours from (Mann Edgerton - Swindon) have been really helpful and kept us updated all the time....we get ours on 3rd September.......can't wait...
Infinidim 8)
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

" You'll never loose a Viper Green Scirocco ! "
Strakata
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Adaptive chassis control
Panoramic roof

Post by Strakata »

Today Autoeuropa (Scirocco's factory) is resuming the production of the Scirocco after a 1 month vacation break.
This was the first year that Autoeuropa completely halted the production of all models (currently Scirocco, Eos and Sharan) for vacations.
Although they are resuming production, there will be some planned lay-off days (about 10 to 15...don’t have the exact number) from now to the end of 2009 so don’t expect a higher production output than the one prior to August.

I really hope you all get your Roc’s soon.
Mine arrived waaaay before November (the date they gave me when I placed my order). I picked it up last Thursday so it took me 5 months from placing the order to the car delivery. Is it 5 months a long wait? Sure. Is it worth it? Definitely!!! Besides, the long wait has an advantage... you tend to forget how amazing the Roc is :D
boss1812

Post by boss1812 »

Strakata wrote:Today Autoeuropa (Scirocco's factory) is resuming the production of the Scirocco after a 1 month vacation break.
This was the first year that Autoeuropa completely halted the production of all models (currently Scirocco, Eos and Sharan) for vacations.
Although they are resuming production, there will be some planned lay-off days (about 10 to 15...don’t have the exact number) from now to the end of 2009 so don’t expect a higher production output than the one prior to August.

I really hope you all get your Roc’s soon.
Mine arrived waaaay before November (the date they gave me when I placed my order). I picked it up last Thursday so it took me 5 months from placing the order to the car delivery. Is it 5 months a long wait? Sure. Is it worth it? Definitely!!! Besides, the long wait has an advantage... you tend to forget how amazing the Roc is :D
i thought this year the factory was going down to reduced production and not closure???????
Strakata
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Adaptive chassis control
Panoramic roof

Post by Strakata »

They were closed for most of August, actually, mine was one of the last Sciroccos produced in over a month (late July). Starting today, they'll resume production with some lay-off days until the end of the year.
Xcal
In: Deep Black
Options: Highline Plus (Panoramic Roof, Climatronic, Cruise Control), Advance Pack(Xe Lights, Folding Mirrors), Dynamic Pack(Fog Lights, Tinted Windows, Donington, Alu Pedals, Catch Up Titan Black, Premium Mats), Tyre Leak Indicator, Premium Phone Pack, No Tags, Alarm, Parking Sensors

Post by Xcal »

Strakata wrote:Today Autoeuropa (Scirocco's factory) is resuming the production of the Scirocco after a 1 month vacation break.
This is strange, I have a confirmed build week of 34 (last week).
Strakata wrote:I picked it up last Thursday so it took me 5 months from placing the order to the car delivery. Is it 5 months a long wait?
20 weeks for me, or at least that's what it supposed to be. I'm not so sure anymore, since week 34 was obviously still a holiday week.
Strakata wrote:... you tend to forget how amazing the Roc is :D
Not really, I'm constantly reminded by lots of forum posters, which doesn't help in making the pain to go away.
And the wait continues... :kickcan:
JasMadahar
Options: DAB and rear parking sensors

Post by JasMadahar »

Told that my car would be built last week for delivery 2nd week Sep. Does this sound right?
boss1812

Post by boss1812 »

just back from the dealer, and i asked about production. he said that production resumes today on sciroccos, after a closure.
infinidim
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: with most option but not the navigation system.......

Post by infinidim »

Ours, according to the dealer was build week 29/30 :) ..... which if my week calender is working well ;) is week 29 is 13 to 19 July and week 30 is 20 to 26 July....

It arrived at the dealer Friday 14th August :clap: :clap: .......they had to PDI it (basically get it ready to go to us as a customer) for a while.

We get it on the 3rd September :clap: :clap: because we have a "cherished plate" to transfer :) from our existing car and we are away for the next few days :hyper: otherwise we would have it now... :clap: :clap:

Infinidim 8)
Infinidim 8)
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

" You'll never loose a Viper Green Scirocco ! "
nfarinha

Post by nfarinha »

good news everyone, Autoeuropa decides to cancel the lay-off process, it will continue to work at full power :)
thanks to many orders...