Parking Sensors

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
littleyellowspider
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather

Parking Sensors

Post by littleyellowspider »

Hello all

I was just wondering if those of you who didn't opt for the parking sensor option have any regrets?

From what I can gather, it appears to be a vital choice.

Your opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
kurre3
With a: Manual box
Options: *Dynaudio & Sat Nav, Lights and vision pack with xenon lights
*Premium- and sport pack (DCC, Interlagos, alcantara seats, mats, tinted widows, cruise, winter pack, climtronic, alarm,
black roof lining & black framed air vents)
- Tyre pressaure indicator & media in

Re: Parking Sensors

Post by kurre3 »

Haven' t picked up mine yet, but have had some serious deliberation with myself. :) Minor problems sleeping at night, but every now and then I get convinced that I won't need them as soon as I get used to handle this specific car, which after all, is a small car.

I' ve heard the sensors are a bit laggy and with lots of space left as they tell you to stop = eventually you will learn where the rear ends with a smaller marginal than the one that the sensors have.
Still the sensors will allways warn you in situations when you forgot you had a postbox or another object behind you!
It' s all up to you, but I guess you' ve got to be a pretty poor driver to be in need of park sensors when it comes to just parking a scirocco.
littleyellowspider

Those were my exact sentiments, however, the general consensus suggests that they are pretty useful.

I've never needed them before, so I can't imagine I'll need them in the Scirocco, but, I'm open to the advice of others.
kianok
In: Deep Black
Options: C 320 CDi

Post by kianok »

They only need to prevent one bump and they have paid for themselves.

A must have if you ask me.
kurre3
*Premium- and sport pack (DCC, Interlagos, alcantara seats, mats, tinted widows, cruise, winter pack, climtronic, alarm,

Post by kurre3 »

kianok wrote:They only need to prevent one bump and they have paid for themselves.

And the other day when you' re in a rush the lag causes a scratch :)
drnick
In: Rising Blue
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

kurre3 wrote:
kianok wrote:They only need to prevent one bump and they have paid for themselves.

i notice you 'have ordered' - I'm guessing you haven't used them yet? They're actually spot on with very little lag.........
littleyellowspider

I'm more interesting in finding out if people without them regret their choice....
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

I have not got them. I don't consider them a neccessity.
I must admit it was a bit daunting the first time i reversed it down the drive and into the garage but you soon get used to it.
tbh i don't even think about it any more and you don't miss what you never had.
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
kurre3

Post by kurre3 »

drnick wrote:
kurre3 wrote:

i notice you 'have ordered' - I'm guessing you haven't used them yet? They're actually spot on with very little lag.........
Yep, as I wrote I haven't picked it up yet and I'm only referring to what I've read and heard! :) I guess everyone has diffrent views of what's to be considered as "reacting quick" and what's a reasonable safety mariginal...
kurre3

Post by kurre3 »

Of course it's a useful device which you won't regret if you've paid for, but I really don't think it's, as many in here annonce, the only must have option..
[youtube][/youtube]
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

I did not specify them as an option, but then again my previous car was a Mazda RX-8 which had poor rear visibility. So I guess I have just got used to it. In hindsight perhaps I should have gone for them, but not really regretting it.
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

i didnt specify them as an option, and at the beginning regreted it.

But now im quite glad i didnt, you soon get used to the lack of rear visibility, and the sensors spoil the look of the rear bumper ( in lighter coloured cars anyway ).
Nobby
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Carat - Top French Spec with Leather heated electric seats, Electric mirrors, Rain Sensor, Auto headlights, Bi-zone air con, Cruise control, Puddle lights, Alloy pedals etc.
+ Sat Nav & alarm (Pack Techno)
+ DCC
+ Parking Sensors & Tyre pressure indicator (Pack City Light)

Post by Nobby »

I was reversing the other day in a busy village street,

I worked in the motor trade for many years so I habitually reverse by looking in my door mirrors, a habit you get when driving vans as well as cars (or sports cars with no rear visibility !) and when parking in tight spaces inside the garrage

I was looking in my left hand (drivers side for me) mirror when suddenly I got a beep and a visual signal on the right hand side of the car (kerb side)

So I braked & looked around, there were two kids who had crossed the road behind me and passed the rear corner of my car, I hadn't seen them !

OK, even if I'd hit one I was at like 0.5 KMH but still I was extremely happy to have got the warning ! We've all heard stories about people reversing over their children

Not the primary reason for getting parking sensors I know, but food for thought maybe

I am certainly glad I got them
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

If you're one of these people who thinks reverse gear is fine for up to 30mph then the lag will catch up with you and you'll hit something.

The directionality of the sensor hits on the display are very useful - something you'll not get with the retrofit.

When the car is showing red for obstacles and at a constant tone, you might think you're inches away from a wall, but it's more like 1 foot away (probably to soak up some of that response lag).

Never had sensors before this car, but they're so useful on the Scirocco
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Yes that's a good point maisbitt. If you get an unexpected audible proximity warning the display tells you which direction you should be looking at more carefully which is useful.
When I'm backing down my drive I have to get close to the wall on the left (unless I want to spend the night in the car) and this sends out a high pitch audible warning which might make me think I'm about to hit a hidden object in the my drive. However the display shows that its just the nearside quadrant at risk and I can see in the wing mirror how close I am to the wall so that's OK.
biglol
In: Reflex Silver

Post by biglol »

If you cant reverse a car without bumping into stuff maybe you shouldn't be driving at all. :shake:
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

biglol wrote:If you cant reverse a car without bumping into stuff maybe you shouldn't be driving at all. :shake:
Thats what im talking about...old skool driving!
chr15

Post by chr15 »

biglol wrote:If you cant reverse a car without bumping into stuff maybe you shouldn't be driving at all. :shake:
:no: I have the sensors even though I am perfectly good at reversing, 7m long vans etc... with no parking aids and I have never *touch wood* reversed into anything.

I would rather have them there as peace of mind just incase something is poking out that goes un-noticed or as said above if someone walks behind the car.

Plus they look really cool when your mates see the screen :yummy: