Dealer not willing to negotiate on price!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
H1 OLA

Dealer not willing to negotiate on price!

Post by H1 OLA »

hi guys,

yesterday i walked into a VW dealer to look at a roc. I informed the dealer I wasn't willing to buy until I had got the funds together as I did not want to buy on finance. The dealer quickly told me that if I they could offer me a 0% intrest on payments over two years assuming I was willing to make a 50% deposit. I thought that this sounded good and I could get my roc a lot sooner than I had envisaged originally.

However when I got down to the finer details I was told that they could not negotiate on the price as "the dealer was paying £2000" on my behlaf for the finance. :hmmm: I'm pretty sure that this was a load of cobblers and the sales lady in question was trying to pull a fast one. Im pretty sure that any finance offer made is done so by VW themselves and not the dealer. In which case surely the dealer should be willing to negotiate in price? I felt the dealer was trying a hard sell they wouldn't stop going on about the fact that VAT increases and price increases from VW were imminent and I should buy now to avoid these increases.

I just wanted to know that is this true is there really no room to negotiate on the price if offered the 0% finance over a period of two years? In all honestly I still think Ill wait until I can buy the car outright as I had a timeframe in which I plan to get the car and I would like to stick to it. Also are cash buyers at less of an advantage in terms of negotiation than say PCP buyers.

Thanks in advance.
AL1874
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding mirrors, Reversing sensors, Continental headlamps, Insect collection evenly distributed over front end.

Re: Dealer not willing to negotiate on price!

Post by AL1874 »

I get taxfree cars and have noticed that Volkswagen and Audi no matter which garage you use give consistent prices across the board with regard to discounts and overall price.

The only thing they may throw in is a free option here or there.

If you think she is pulling your wire go to another franchise dealer and ask them if they can better it, it might save you a few pounds.
TÜV Approved, Nürburgring Tested.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

as AL1874 says go & ask another one, you don't have to be stuck with one dealer take a nice drive down the road & find one that you are happier with. go speak to as many as you fancy!

S
Nobby
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Carat - Top French Spec with Leather heated electric seats, Electric mirrors, Rain Sensor, Auto headlights, Bi-zone air con, Cruise control, Puddle lights, Alloy pedals etc.
+ Sat Nav & alarm (Pack Techno)
+ DCC
+ Parking Sensors & Tyre pressure indicator (Pack City Light)

Post by Nobby »

Interest free credit is just a marketing technique

It doesn't really exist, The interest is always included in the starting price so it is invisible

Someone has to pay the credit broker :shrug:
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Supply and demand - with limited numbers, and people willing to pay full price, the dealers will be selling their allocated stock at full bat. Got £1000 off mine and £1000 more for my part ex than the Parkers guide said it was worth (because the dealer knew someone who was after a car just like the part ex - 170TDI Golf GT Sport), so in a roundabout way I got £2000 off mine, but it wasn't one of their dealership alloaction cars, it was a dealer swap car (another dealer wanted a MK6 Golf that they were getting in) and I went to uni with the sales manager at my local branch.

If you have a VW to part ex and it was bought from the dealer you intend on buying the Scirocco from, you could try talking "customer loyalty", but I don't thinnk there are great discounts to be had at the moment - VW don't manufacture to excess, with fleets of cars sitting in fields, all Sciroccos seem to have an intended recipient at the moment.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
jc74
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

Noticed dealdrivers.co.uk still have base spec 2.0Tsi GT for £19,330 Rather than the £21,300 list price (so about £2k discount).
However it seems that even their supplying dealers have sold out allocation for this year, so not going to be able to order...

More and more glad I bought mine when I did!
PRODUCTION NOTE - 17/7/09: build slots for our VW dealers on Scirocco are now full. Unless VW UK can provide more allocation in the next few weeks, our dealers are unable to place orders until after 1st Sept 09, meaning the cars will incur the 1/9/09 VW price increase and MAY possibly also incur the 1/1/10 VAT increase depending on leadtime dates. Please ask for advice
http://www.dealdrivers.co.uk/html/scirocco.html
H1 OLA

Post by H1 OLA »

Thank you for the replies. I guess VW are limiting supply for this car which suprised me and this would explain the dealers hard line. I have been looking at second hand values and at the moment they seem to be pretty resilient indeed in the past few months they seem to have picked up a little bit!

Ill try somewhere else when I get the chance. I guess the post about interest free credit being a marketing tool make sense. I guess with the limited supply and high demand the dealers will be looking to make as much as they can!

Out of interest what options might be thrown in?
ammo23
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White

Post by ammo23 »

I've had a similar experience with my local Gilders dealerships...I went to see about a test drive on my lunch hour, as I spoke to a sales guy last week regarding a car they were due to get in. I found out today they actually have two TDI GT's and 1 pertrol hiding around the back of the building!!
Anyway, I was told with no messing that they would not be offering any discounts, and this is the 2nd Guilders in a week that have told me this.
I had been looking to Contract hire, but the Fleet people will not ask their own dealerships for a car that they own beacuase as fleet they would have to apply 10-11% discount, and they will not do it, when they know they can sell the cars at full whack!

Hope you can sort something to suit yourself :)
H1 OLA

Post by H1 OLA »

Been on the other forum (helpful bunch) and it seems the way forward is broadspeed.com and asking your dealer to match it. This seems to work. Though I think supply will catch up with demanc (it always does) and then discounts will be the norm again!
regandjuk
In: Sumatra
Options: dynaudio, leather, mirrors, electric seat, tyre pressure gauge

Post by regandjuk »

H1 OLA wrote:Been on the other forum (helpful bunch) and it seems the way forward is broadspeed.com and asking your dealer to match it. This seems to work. Though I think supply will catch up with demanc (it always does) and then discounts will be the norm again!
I found quoting broadspeed or What Car or Which (all of which have 'target' prices for the 'Roc which are money off list) usually means the dealer will agree to match. Then find another dealer, get him to match and ask him to throw in some options for free and start playing the two off gainst each other! (Although admittedly that's hard as Roc's are in such short supply at the moment).
17th October - Now it's finally mine :) :) :)
H1 OLA

Post by H1 OLA »

Okay I 'll give that a go and see how I get on and see what options they'll throw in.
regandjuk
Options: dynaudio, leather, mirrors, electric seat, tyre pressure gauge

Post by regandjuk »

H1 OLA wrote:Okay I 'll give that a go and see how I get on and see what options they'll throw in.
If not, if you're down my way I'll put you in touch with the guy I'm getting mine from
17th October - Now it's finally mine :) :) :)
H1 OLA

Post by H1 OLA »

Cheers mate. Much appreciated.
littleyellowspider
Options: Black Leather

Post by littleyellowspider »

http://www.uknewcars.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.autoebid.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are both useful sites too.

The latter is a reverse auction style bidding war between UK dealers, so you should be able to get the cheapest possible price. However, since I have ordered prices seem to have crept up a little.

Hope this helps.
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

You'll find that these sites may not be able to get hold of a Scirocco for you. VW dealers have their allocations for Sciroccos, and if they're getting so few in, they're not going to allow someone from the broker sites to grab a car from their allocation when they know they can sell it themselves at full price. If you do get an agreed bargain price, you'll probably find the delivery date slipping way beyond what a dealer can quote.

I've used uknewcars.com before, but that was for a Golf GT and there was an abundance of those about at the time.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
H1 OLA

Post by H1 OLA »

Ill have a look at the websites and see what quotes I can get. I don't mind waiting for my ideal car for a while longer if i'm saving money. I'll appreciate the car even more when I get it! Thanks for the info!
littleyellowspider
Options: Black Leather

Post by littleyellowspider »

I was told yesterday that any orders being taken at the moment are expecting a Feb/Mar delivery! Oh, and a price rise, and VAT rise. Best bet is to find your price, haggle the dealer into submission and get your order in ASAP.

Good luck :yes:
H1 OLA

Post by H1 OLA »

Thanks I will take this into consideration and let you know how I get on.
JohnH
In: Viper Green
Options: Pano roof, bi-xenon lights, parking sensors, electric fold mirrors, dynaudio, anthracite vienna

Post by JohnH »

Hello - ordered mine last week. I'm terrible at negotiation - got £1000 off, so I would probably think of that as a minimum ;) . Also tank of petrol and mats thrown in (but I didn't even ask for these so suspect that everyone gets this if they negotiate badly! :rolleyes: ) They did guarantee current prices though - not the 3% rise on 1st September. Just waiting for a delivery date!

Best of luck - if you do get a great deal then please don't tell me - I'm committed now!
steve
Options: panoramic sunroof, truffle leather, winter pack, dynaudio soundpack, parking and tyre sensors, cruise control, carpet mats

Post by steve »

I agree - I've had mine since March and got about 7% off of the list price.

My local dealer wasn't prepared to do a deal so I called around and found a dealer that was. For the money you save, it's worth an afternoon on the phone.

Good luck!