DAB signal issue

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
rickbingham
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: DAB
hill support
cruise control
Flat Tyre indicator
Ejector Seat

DAB signal issue

Post by rickbingham »

Hi guys, i am getting very inconsistent signal on the DAB it is constantly jumping from DAB to FM when it can't find DAB. I have DAB in the house and have no problems but can't get DAB in my Roc in the driveway?! Could this be a issue with the new DAB aerial in the side window?

Anyone else with the same problem?
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Re: DAB signal issue

Post by jonallen628 »

No problems with my DAB signal in the first six months of ownership, think the unit has only switched to FM once in 6000 miles. The DAB aerial is on the roof as far as i know, the aerials in the side windows are for AM / FM etc.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
martdy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

No probs here either. The DAB aerial has now been moved to the side windows on 2010 model year cars I believe.So may not be as good as the "bee sting" job on mine (earlier cars).
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
davey
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Cruise, Mirrors, DAB

Post by davey »

I've just received my Roc so it's a 2010 MY.

I've had it for a week but the DAB is driving me mad. I would say it's practically unusable. I was looking forward to listening to Test Match Special on Radio 5 Live Extra, but wherever I am it dips out constantly.

Oh well, I thought, back to Radio 4 Long Wave, but the radio only does medium wave! :cry:
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

This should be a dealer issue (eg. like windscreen wipers) for MY2010 Sciroccos. Paying £165 for a specification option that doesn't appear to work on your Scirocco which uses the side window aerials suggests two things.

- Faulty equipment.
- Design installation is poor.

Given this is something cropping up more than one owner, perhaps it is a design problem.

It's not the first time for VW that this sort of problem has occurred but it used to linked to fitting ICE when it was done by the dealerships and forgetting to fit the FM aerial in-line power interface in the aerial lead.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
u37255
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Truffle Leather, Pan Sunroof, DynoAudio, Bluetooth,
19 inch wheels, DAB Radio

Post by u37255 »

Hi,

I've just got mine in the last few days and live on central Scotland. I think you will find this is not a vw or hardware issue but infact an issue with dab in that reception in many areas is weak eg city centres very rural areas. My signal drops in and out from time to time but I'd rather listen to some of the cricket etc than none at all!

My other experience was with the pure dab in car radio system - same problem.

Neil
greenstick
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Black Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio, Folding Mirrors, Carpet Mats, Flat Tyre Sensor, Smokers Pack

Post by greenstick »

My reception is terrible

I live and do most of my driving in west yorkshire and find that it switches to FM several times every journey.

Anyone else have experience around Leeds? Is yours a 2010 car?

I'm beginning to think that the move of the aerial may have been a mistake
jonallen628
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

DAB Coverage as of FEB08 shown below, I would suggest if you live and drive in the areas that are pink on the map you shouldn't have a problem with your reception. Looking as some of the comments clearly this isn't the case, perhaps it is a hardware / installation problem on later cars?

What the map shows is a number of areas where coverage will be poor at present, in some cases this could be due to the geography of the area and FM coverage in these areas may not be much better.

Generally i haven't been further than a 50 mile radius of B'ham in the Roc so far and not had a problem. I also find that when entering tunnels etc the DAB manages to hold on a little longer than FM before cutting out.

It's fair to say that whilst we are in the transitional stage the service will vary accross the country. Since this map was issued there have been further improvements in the service, you will find on the websites below of new transmitter installations etc.

More info...

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/waystolisten/digitalradio/
dab_coverage_feb08.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Good bit of info there jon allen. :yes:

Although I'm not getting the option at the moment, I find it a bit strange given there are government proposals around to do away with FM Radio in 2015 (I hope not) like DVB going on at the moment. Reception is going to have to be better all round to convince people.

Chris
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
skyblues11
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

i was thinking about this option but in the end did not go for it.

i just felt the whole DAB thing is overated. while i am waiting for the Roc, I am driving my mum's honda civic with the radio stolen a few years back. i listen to the radio via a small 50£ handheld DAB radio with headphones. its ok in general when the car is on the move, but on bad weather days with heavy clouds, it crackles.

same thing happened when i use it whilst mowing my lawn. My TV as well. i can't get any BBC4 sometimes.

yet the brick size DAB radio at home with a 60cm long aerial, works fine in any weather..

thess sort of inconsistancy had in the end, made me drop the DAB idea.
jonallen628

Post by jonallen628 »

skyblues11 wrote:i was thinking about this option but in the end did not go for it.

i just felt the whole DAB thing is overated. while i am waiting for the Roc, I am driving my mum's honda civic with the radio stolen a few years back. i listen to the radio via a small 50£ handheld DAB radio with headphones. its ok in general when the car is on the move, but on bad weather days with heavy clouds, it crackles.

same thing happened when i use it whilst mowing my lawn. My TV as well. i can't get any BBC4 sometimes.

yet the brick size DAB radio at home with a 60cm long aerial, works fine in any weather..

thess sort of inconsistancy had in the end, made me drop the DAB idea.
It was absolutely p***ing it down yesterday, DAB worked perfectly in the Roc whilst travelling at 70 MPH over a 15 mile journey. :yes: No problems here.

rickbingham
Options: DAB
hill support
cruise control
Flat Tyre indicator
Ejector Seat

Post by rickbingham »

Interesting mix of comments here! not any wiser to whether this is hardware or signal issue. My local radio station is broadcast from 3 miles down the road and they constantly promote their DAB service so makes me lean towards the hardware problem.

Shame really as when the DAB works it's great and the extra channels, secondary audio and text info is cool.

I think I need to talk to the dealer.
DGOT
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Salsa Red
Options: Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Bluetooth Prep, Parking Sensors, Premium Mats, Premium Sills, Load Liner

Post by DGOT »

On the RCD-510 unit you can check the signal strength by holding down the Setup button on the radio for approx. 3 seconds. I don't have DAB but if I hold the Setup button for 3 seconds the display gives options for AM and FM, if you select one of these then the signal strength (and other info such as antenna input used) is displayed, you should also get a DAB option if you have spec'ed the DAB functionality.
regandjuk
In: Sumatra
Options: dynaudio, leather, mirrors, electric seat, tyre pressure gauge

Post by regandjuk »

rickbingham wrote:Interesting mix of comments here! not any wiser to whether this is hardware or signal issue. My local radio station is broadcast from 3 miles down the road and they constantly promote their DAB service so makes me lean towards the hardware problem.

Shame really as when the DAB works it's great and the extra channels, secondary audio and text info is cool.

I think I need to talk to the dealer.

Let us all know what they say......I've got mine on order without DAB due to the signal issue but would add it if the issue was fixed/fixable....
17th October - Now it's finally mine :) :) :)
regandjuk
In: Sumatra
Options: dynaudio, leather, mirrors, electric seat, tyre pressure gauge

Post by regandjuk »

davey wrote:I've just received my Roc so it's a 2010 MY.

I've had it for a week but the DAB is driving me mad. I would say it's practically unusable. I was looking forward to listening to Test Match Special on Radio 5 Live Extra, but wherever I am it dips out constantly.

Oh well, I thought, back to Radio 4 Long Wave, but the radio only does medium wave! :cry:

You can listen to TMS on 702 MW according to my dealer.......
17th October - Now it's finally mine :) :) :)