First time buyer

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
H.D
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

First time buyer

Post by H.D »

So im thinking of getting a 2.0 TDI GT around 2010 or 2011 plate and have been googling around with the modding potential on this car but I just wanted to know from you're guys experience how much I'm limited in terms of mods.

Performance wise I'm not looking to go for somthing stupid. I know they usually come around 170 stock so I was thinking maybe push it up to around 200? Some of you might say just get the 2.0 TSI instead however my insurance prices are ridiculouly high for that. Just wondering what it would take to get up around that mark. Remap maybe?

In terms of ride and comfort I've seen few people change the springs on them but I just don't know if lowering it or adding a strut or sway bar would be make a noticeable difference. Ideally looking at somthing smooth around corners. Also bigger wheels and upgraded brakes? If so what systems would be suitable.

For security sake I'm thinking of adding an immobiliser and tracker system I know these would have to be Thatcham approved devices but more so on the immobiliser is that doable?

If I go ahead and deicide to buy one what are the common faults and thing I need to look out when I go for a viewing?

As you can see I have a few questions on if the 2.0 TDI sirocco would be a decent platform to have a little play with but overall still be a usable and comfort daily car. Any help or other questions is much appreciated.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: First time buyer

Post by Cuprabob »

Welcome to the forum. The alarm and immobiliser fitted as standard to the Scirocco is Thatcham approved.

With regards to your other questions, I'll let others advise.
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: First time buyer

Post by Deagol »

Hi HD,

For what it's worth, my 2010 GT TDi (170) has just clocked up 170,000 miles. I've not modded it at all and I think the general performance and comfort is fine as it left the factory. Daily use is a dozen miles commute on two-way roads rather than motorway or dual carriageway and with fuel prices the way they are right now, getting 55mpg or better is very welcome on the stock engine.

I never thought the day would come when fuel cost is a bigger concern than the insurance !

D
Baptised with Aerosmith