Fuel injector extended warranty ?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
pburgess22
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Fuel injector extended warranty ?

Post by pburgess22 »

Hello all

My car is currently about to have all four injectors replaced at a cost of £1100 at the dealership.

Ive done a lot of searching on the issue and found that VW of america extended the warranty of 2.0 tsi(between 2008-2011)engine to 120,000 miles or ten years when it comes to fuel injectors and the manifold as failures are so common.

Does anyone know if the same applies in the UK and if not why not ?

Many thanks
Phil
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Fuel injector extended warranty ?

Post by Cuprabob »

It doesn't apply to the UK. It's different in the US because it's a much tougher market and much more litigious.

In summary, they don't do it in Europe because they don't have to as we keep buying the cars regardless.

The best you can hope is that you can get some "goodwill" via VW Customer Services if your car has FVWSH.
skippy
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Not aware that these failures are common though.
pburgess22

Post by pburgess22 »

Cuprabob wrote:It doesn't apply to the UK. It's different in the US because it's a much tougher market and much more litigious.

In summary, they don't do it in Europe because they don't have to as we keep buying the cars regardless.

The best you can hope is that you can get some "goodwill" via VW Customer Services if your car has FVWSH.
It has full mot and service history with the same dealership its in now so im going to ask for some goodwill and see if they will come down on the price but im not holding my breath.

Thanks for the reply by the way.
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

Same happened to my 2008 2.0 TSi, 2 went at the same time, had them replaced by a local garage at a cost of over £500, 2 weeks later a third one went, so had the other 2 replaced, again at over £500........... so it's common enough

Part of the reason i now own a Honda Civic as i was fed up of the shitty build quality/unreliability of my Rocco, it had 7 trips to the garage in the 12 months i owned it
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

£1000?

You can buy a complete set of upgraded injectors for £400.... People have more money than sense !

R-tech now offer an injector cleaning/testing service for like £100
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

xjay1337 wrote:£1000?

You can buy a complete set of upgraded injectors for £400.... People have more money than sense !

R-tech now offer an injector cleaning/testing service for like £100
Would love to know where from, as when mine went last year best i could find was around £200 each (just checked, Euro Car Parts have them at £205 each), plus about 4-5 hours labour to fit them, plus diagnostics to find the fault in the first place, it all adds up quite quickly

And injector cleaning doesn't work when have gone full retard and fail wide open, apparently mine was spitting 2 foot flames out of the exhaust, and it was bog standard
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

https://www.facebook.com/Vagfuelingsolutions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-INJECTOR ... SwciVXQeM0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(They're around £35 each on Ebay).
click for build thread
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

xjay1337 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/Vagfuelingsolutions/

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-INJECTOR ... SwciVXQeM0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(They're around £35 each on Ebay).
Ahh i see, good old Facebook and eBay (2nd hand) injectors, so no warranty or idea of how long they might actually last

It might be alright sourcing parts like that for a 2nd car/project car and taking a complete and utter risk on them, but not when you need your back the following day so you can get to work and back

I thought you might have had a proper reputable dealer selling them cheap
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

The thing is when you have a project car as your daily you understand that parts are generally fine.
Certainly a good condition / working second hand injector is not really much more likely to fail, given the cost differences, you can buy 10+ used injectors for the price of one new one! (and given how easy they are to change, I know what I'd rather do!!!)

For what it's worth, plenty of people in TFSI running around with used / second hand injectors without issue. The injectors in my own car were bought used, unknown, from Poland, using a Polish friend as a translator, no issues :)
click for build thread
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

xjay1337 wrote:The thing is when you have a project car as your daily you understand that parts are generally fine.
Certainly a good condition / working second hand injector is not really much more likely to fail, given the cost differences, you can buy 10+ used injectors for the price of one new one! (and given how easy they are to change, I know what I'd rather do!!!)

For what it's worth, plenty of people in TFSI running around with used / second hand injectors without issue. The injectors in my own car were bought used, unknown, from Poland, using a Polish friend as a translator, no issues :)
But since 3 of mine went within the space of 2 weeks, it is an absolute lottery buying something like that 2nd hand, as you have no idea how much life is left in them, and we can't all fit them ourselves, i certainly wouldn't want to keep paying a couple of hundred quid to my mechanic to keep fitting 2nd hand parts
pburgess22

Post by pburgess22 »

We'll all four injectors have been replaced and the idle doesn't drift anymore but it still misfires like hell when cold. They noticed a pretty major carb build up which is no surprise and are going to quote me on that. The price will probably br insane as its at a main dealership but as im offshore I just want it sorted and running again for when im home.
rpsmith79

Post by rpsmith79 »

pburgess22 wrote:We'll all four injectors have been replaced and the idle doesn't drift anymore but it still misfires like hell when cold. They noticed a pretty major carb build up which is no surprise and are going to quote me on that. The price will probably br insane as its at a main dealership but as im offshore I just want it sorted and running again for when im home.
Ouch, not good reading more horror stories, this was why i ended up jumping ship and went Jap, as i just didn't trust the "perceived" quality of VAG anymore

I'm sure i will end up back in German car before long, as there is very little that interests me from the Jap stable that fits my needs for the foreseeable furture