EGR Circuit malfunction after emissions software update

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
poproc
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

EGR Circuit malfunction after emissions software update

Post by poproc »

Hi Folks,

Got this fault code soon after the emissions software update on 2.0Tdi manual, what do you think?

P0403 is an OBD-II generic code that indicates that the engine control module (ECM) has detected the engine exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) circuit has malfunctioned. The ECM detected a short or open circuit in the EGR vacuum control solenoid or wiring to the solenoid

VW want £ 66 for their diagnostic but say they are not willing to divulge any technical information or written report on the problem(s).

Really done know what to do the cars only done 30,000 miles and was perfect before the update so I don't believe it is a coincidence?

Thank you, really wish we'd not had it done and once done its irreversible apparently.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: EGR Circuit malfunction after emissions software update

Post by Cuprabob »

Have a look on honestjohn as there are a number of owners, mainly Tiguan owners, who have reported EGR issues after having the emissions update carried out.
poproc

Post by poproc »

Thanks we have done already but VW head office and the dealer have more or less told us the engine management light problem is unlikely to be connected with the emissions update and just a coincidence, however, I am of the opinion they need to prove to us it isn't, so we are currently stuck between a rock and a hard place, or should I say roc and a hard place!

Unfortunately having had lengthy discussions with VW head office and the dealer and citing other websites reporting these issues I get the distinct impression they are going to point blank deny it is anything to do with the update and given the pack of lies they've already told us about their cars I am having a real problem believing anything they are going to tell us after they've seen the car.
poproc

Post by poproc »

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/dieselgate ... ssions-fix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who'd have thought...

I'm in no way affiliated to this site by the way, just researching the likely problems with our vehicle and VW going forward, doesn't look good for all concerned.
zoomee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Internal LED Lighting - otherwise bog standard

Post by zoomee »

Mines just been in for the recall today, will be keeping a keen eye on it.

I've already told VW - my car is in perfect condition having just been fully inspected by them, and two other independant garages. If anything goes wrong in the next month or so I'll be dumping it on their lawn for them to fix. service Advisor understood my concerns and said if there was any problems afterwards they would investigate with VW head office and offer a 'good will' if so required.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

zoomee wrote:Mines just been in for the recall today, will be keeping a keen eye on it.

I've already told VW - my car is in perfect condition having just been fully inspected by them, and two other independant garages. If anything goes wrong in the next month or so I'll be dumping it on their lawn for them to fix. service Advisor understood my concerns and said if there was any problems afterwards they would investigate with VW head office and offer a 'good will' if so required.
I don't understand why you would take the risk if it's running fine as it is. I've got a good relationship with the service manager at my local dealer and he fully understands my position and why I have signed the disclaimer to not have it done.
Roy_01
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

I agree with CB, don't believe their kind words. If they investigate your car it could turn out you are missing your car for a couple weeks and they don't support any alternative transportation.
Even if they offer goodwill it will cost you money on repairs the car doesn't had without the fix.
I garantuee you will get regrets.
poproc

Post by poproc »

zoomee wrote:Mines just been in for the recall today, will be keeping a keen eye on it.

I hope you don't live to regret it like us, we have had over 6 months of wrangling with VW over this and can't remember how many times we've said we wished we had never had it done. It's not mandatory and the car will probably be worth more without it done. Subsequently our Scirocco has just been in the shop for 4 days having egr and the cooler replaced after constantly going into limp mode after the software 'update' and I'm certain it will only fail again as they have not upgraded the egr valve to handle the multiple fuel injections that I understand the software update changed from single injection. As a consequence of this debacle we've lost all confidence in the car and VW as a company so we are in the process of p/x for an A180 petrol before used VAG diesel values fall off a cliff.

I think it will be a very long time before we ever look at getting another Scirocco or any VAG car for that matter after this.
zoomee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Internal LED Lighting - otherwise bog standard

Post by zoomee »

One thing I've learnt about the internet and gleaning information from it chaps is that people are quick to voice their opinions when it all goes wrong, but hardly post when its all going swimmingly. We don't get an accurate reflection of what's going on as a result.

IF theres any problems and they give me ANY hassle I'll be dropping VW completely as I've had nothing but VW's for the past 10 or so years! They've generally been the most reliable out of previous cars hence why I stick with them.

tbh - my car's hardly last me long - about a year before I get bored and change them lol

tbh I'm bored already - regret not getting an R-Line version at the least