Too dark in the back for kids??

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Dr_Doug
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Too dark in the back for kids??

Post by Dr_Doug »

Help and advice needed!

I've got a white 1.4 TSi on order atm. Mainly because my wife reckoned with the tinted rear windows it was too dark in the back of the GT for the kids.

Having never actually seen a scirocco without the rear window tints - does it look OK? Anyone got any pictures (esp. if in candy white)?

Also does anyone own a 1.4 Tsi (which I believe has grey roof lining) with the tinted windows as an option. Is it really too dark for kids?

Its not too late to change the spec...but I'd need to do it quickly
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Re: Too dark in the back for kids??

Post by maisbitt »

If the kids aren't 10+ yers old, they'll probably not be tall enough to see out of the back windows, they're quite high up.

The tints are quite dark, but if the kids aren't tall enough to see out of them anyway then it'll be irrelevant. Can the dealers not show you a GT spec Scirocco? The tints are standard on those (he should have a 2.0TSi in as a showroom model or demonstrator. If you've already seen a GT and that's why the missus thinks its too dark then she'll want the lighter windows. The lighter windows will probably look more natural than the heavy tints of the GT's rear windows. On my GT, the rear glass is a much darker shade externally than the front. If the front windows are light enough (if you imagine the same shade of glass in the back) then don't get the tints. You could always play the dazzle card, make out that you need the tints to protect the kids from dazzle/UV etc.

You wont get the dark headlining on a 1.4TSI unless you get the leather seats. If I wasn't getting a GT, the tinted rears arenot something i'd pay for as an option, personally.
Last edited by maisbitt on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Evil Derboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurre3
Options: *Dynaudio & Sat Nav, Lights and vision pack with xenon lights
*Premium- and sport pack (DCC, Interlagos, alcantara seats, mats, tinted widows, cruise, winter pack, climtronic, alarm,
black roof lining & black framed air vents)
- Tyre pressaure indicator & media in

Post by kurre3 »

This is an issue for me too, however not the kids aspect but just if the candy white roccos look better tinted or not. Can't imagine that the rear seats would get to dark for children though..
Dr_Doug

Post by Dr_Doug »

Thanks for all the replies :)

My kids are very young (under 3) - but because they use car seats they actually sit quite high up and can see out the windows.

My wife did sit in the back of a GT - but that was in a car showroom and, of course it had the black roof - so she thought it was too 'gloomy' in the back.

I had considered using 'the dazzle' card - because the kids do complain if the sun is in their eyes. But really, buying the option would be driven by aesthetics. i.e does it make the car look much better? Having never seen one without the tints its hard for me to tell.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I'm not so keen on the tints. For me, the car looks better when all the windows are the same shade, but as I got a GT, I have no choice - there were too many other bits of kit not to miss out on with the GT spec.

It's a minor thing really, it doesn't change the aesthetics much either way, but if you saw 2 cars parked up together, the one with all the windows the same colour would look best to me from a side view.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Nobby
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Carat - Top French Spec with Leather heated electric seats, Electric mirrors, Rain Sensor, Auto headlights, Bi-zone air con, Cruise control, Puddle lights, Alloy pedals etc.
+ Sat Nav & alarm (Pack Techno)
+ DCC
+ Parking Sensors & Tyre pressure indicator (Pack City Light)

Post by Nobby »

I agree

Mine has tints because they are standard on the spec I have ordered but given the choice, I think they look a bit "Boy Racer" to be honest
kurre3
Options: *Dynaudio & Sat Nav, Lights and vision pack with xenon lights
*Premium- and sport pack (DCC, Interlagos, alcantara seats, mats, tinted widows, cruise, winter pack, climtronic, alarm,
black roof lining & black framed air vents)
- Tyre pressaure indicator & media in

Post by kurre3 »

Isn' t it possible to have the car detinted if you by a package or a specific model that includes this option?
true
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

kurre3 wrote:Isn' t it possible to have the car detinted if you by a package or a specific model that includes this option?
The glass is tinted at the factory, it's not a laminate which is applied retrospectively (I don't think). Personally I think they rear looks better tinted, especially on the light colours but it's all personal preference.
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

my 4 year old nephew was in the back in a child seat and loved it. as long as they are high enough to see out the tints aren't a problem........
gossa
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Post by gossa »

I have a ten and an eight year old and they love it in the back but they're either watching a DVD or playing on the DS's. I have a GT TSI all black with leather, tints, etc. It's fine back there and they can see out of the windows with the boosters.