Sumatra owners reassure me!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
parabola
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Dynaudio
Parking sensors
Folding mirrors
Flat tyre ind
Telephone prep
Smoking pack

Sumatra owners reassure me!

Post by parabola »

Hi all,

I've ordered in sumatra without seeing it in the flesh and am starting to feel a little nervous about it. I very much like some of the pictures I've seen but of course it isn't the same as seeing it with your own eyes. It really came down to a choice between black and sumatra (not massively into the silvers, blues or white and the green is just too rude!) and in the end I thought sumatra was just that little bit different and interesting. My main concern is the common one - just how brown does it flare when under bright light? In the pictures where it's showing a more matt finish it looks totally evil in a gunmetal kind of way which looks awesome but I don't want to be hiding it when the sun comes out!

Does anyone who owns a sumatra car regret the descision at all?

Cheers.
The Darkness
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Sumatra
Options: Parking sensor, folding mirrors, cruise and flat indicator.

Re: Sumatra owners reassure me!

Post by The Darkness »

Cant help I'm afraid, but Ive ordered one for same reasons too :)
sumatra brown
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: everything except leather and navi

Post by sumatra brown »

I got mine today.
Lowered with 19"s

I am very pleased.
sterocco
Options: xenon, leather interior

Post by sterocco »

I love the colour but like any dark colour it shows the swirls etc. But when it is clean and polished in the sun the colour is multi-faceted and way more interesting than black IMHO.
rhcp128
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by rhcp128 »

It's not bad at all :) One thing I found is you have to keep it clean if you want it to look perfect (duuhh). The color is really different. Here in Italy all the roccos i've seen are either white or black, so it's definitely different. In terms of how it fares in the sun, looks amazing but does get hot inside... But honestly any car will get hot in the sun regardless of the color...

When I got mine I though to myself "S*** I got a brown car...". But it doesn't really look boring brown. In the sun, it really has that multifaceted look that somebody else mentioned...

In short don't worry :)
AL1874
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, Reversing sensors, Continental headlamps, Insect collection evenly distributed over front end.

Post by AL1874 »

Mines is in the rising blue and I was not really sure about the colour until I picked it up.

I know the colour reproduction in the literature states that there may be discrepancies to the actual colour it was a really a really flat matt, but apart from being a light blue square it did not resemble it in any way shape or form.

I was pleasantly surprised and more than a little relieved to see it in the flesh and I’m sure you will be the same.
TÜV Approved, Nürburgring Tested.
parabola
Parking sensors
Folding mirrors
Flat tyre ind
Telephone prep
Smoking pack

Post by parabola »

Thanks for the advice all. Been reading around and there seems to be a lot of love for the sumatra out there but sadly I've wimped out I'm afraid and changed my order to black! I realised I'd be worrying about it for the next 3 months until it arrived and the wait is going to be hard enough as it is!

Right, that's colour sorted, now to start looking at the tech forums about getting it lowered ...
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Oh no, you didn't pick black did you? The trouble with black is......

The debate continues!

It's lucky these lead times are so long - Scirocco owners are a fickle lot, so many people changing their colour, and sometimes more than once. Just goes to show that the dealerships need to get some decent demonstrators in (and not just in Candy White and Rising Blue) so you can get a decent representation rather than relying on the poor brochure prints.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
parabola
Parking sensors
Folding mirrors
Flat tyre ind
Telephone prep
Smoking pack

Post by parabola »

I think one of the problems is the lack of wow colours in the list. Viper green and white both suit the car well and certainly stand out but they aren't really my cup of tea. I know all colours are horses for courses but nothing there really grabs me. It's a shame there isn't a decent metallic red or two as these would have been real contenders. Anyway I'm happy with black. It was my original choice and you can't go wrong with black (apart from being a bugger to keep clean that is!).
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

I'm am seriously debating getting sumatra (its between that or shadow blue anyway) got until monday to make the decision & get the bank to agree...

on a side note, i have only test driven a dsg gearbox & am planning on getting a manual, my local dealer seems to be unable to get hold of a manual box 'rocco (or they don't think i'm serious about buying one being the age & gender i am)
opinions anyone?

Thanks
S
robjones23
Options: Winter pack, Met paint

Post by robjones23 »

I've got a sumatra and I'm really happy with it. It looks absolutely nothing like the image on the VW configurator - much more like Lava Grey Audi's when it's out of the direct sunlight, and when it's in sunlight you get tinges of copper in the grey - I love it!
parabola
Parking sensors
Folding mirrors
Flat tyre ind
Telephone prep
Smoking pack

Post by parabola »

girlgettingscirocco wrote:
on a side note, i have only test driven a dsg gearbox & am planning on getting a manual, my local dealer seems to be unable to get hold of a manual box 'rocco (or they don't think i'm serious about buying one being the age & gender i am)
opinions anyone?
I was in the same boat with the gearbox - no dealer seems to have a manual. Fun though the DSG was I didn't really want it enough to justify the cost and figure there can't be anything all that wrong with the manual box as I haven't seen any negative comments about it. I'm expecting it to be fine :)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

they were going to try & get a golf with the same engine but they haven't bothered to get back to me so screw 'em i was planning on getting it through a broker on the net anyway :p

back to the colour debate i guess, i thought i was sold on the sumatra looking at squareeyes photos but then seeing someones pics of the shadow blue makes me think again hmm.. anyone know if the sumatra is susceptible to showing up marks etc or does the multifacetedness of the paint help stop that?

(anything has to be better than my boring red 306)

S
BlackRoc
Options: Leather
Sat Nav
Winter Pack
Parking Sensors
Premium Mats (got them free..)
GT Steering wheel badge

Post by BlackRoc »

girlgettingscirocco - The Shadow Blue is a VERY nice colour - I see one most days travelling in the oposite direction to me, and its really good (almost R32 Golf Blue) Sumatra is a real Marmite colour. Ive have seen one at the dealers, and in the sun - it is stunning as it has flecks in it like the black does. Not sure on a miserable day in December that it will float your boat if you want it to stand out a bit. At Volksfest recently, we had a few of us there with different colours, and the Viper and White ones were by far the most popular for people to go and look at. :yes:
No Scirocco now - Just a black '57 Plate Black Jetta!
steve
Options: panoramic sunroof, truffle leather, winter pack, dynaudio soundpack, parking and tyre sensors, cruise control, carpet mats

Post by steve »

GO FOR IT!!!

I've got sumatra, and I've got to admit that every time I see another rocco, I'm glad I bought this colour.

The black is too dark for the car, you loose the detailing on the grille that gives the front that aggressive look.

Never looked back! :)
kanec

Post by kanec »

I got mine yesterday.

Looks a treat with the 19" Lugunas.
jc74
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

steve wrote:GO FOR IT!!!

I've got sumatra, and I've got to admit that every time I see another rocco, I'm glad I bought this colour.

The black is too dark for the car, you loose the detailing on the grille that gives the front that aggressive look.

Never looked back! :)
I was tempted with Sumatra at the time I was choosing, but wimped out in the end. I'd only seen photos and they didn't have any actual examples to see before I ordered, so was worried being such an unusual colour whether I'd still like it after seeing it!