Manual or DSG?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Mr OCD
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Shadow Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: All of them ... lol

Re: Manual or DSG?

Post by Mr OCD »

charliegilmanuk wrote: If I want full manual then there's the option there, either with the paddles or the up/down shifter when the stick is slipped to the left.
It really is not the same. It is not full manual ... it's an automatic gearbox with paddle shifts that give some control.
VW Scirocco GT 170 in shadow blue metallic with vienna leather, cruise control, parking radar, nav, bluetooth and dynaudio sound system. Remapped and shortshift fitted.
jsmith91
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Post by jsmith91 »

I've just swapped my manual 2010 GT 2.0 TDI for a 2015 R-Line 184 TDi DSG, and have to say so far I love the Auto box. I was always the same preferring the manual gearbox because you feel like you're more involved in the car's performance.

Realistically unless you're on a track you really don't need a manual gear box, so it comes down to personal preference.

But in my opinion - don't let the stigma of "i'm driving a manual, it feels like i'm in more control" cloud your judgement, as it makes little difference to the performance of the car on a normal road - just go with what you want.
Mr OCD
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Shadow Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: All of them ... lol

Post by Mr OCD »

I agree - it is personal preference, however you ARE in more control with a manual box regardless. Although you are correct from a performance point of view - it makes no difference.

As I said earlier I own both. DSG and manual ... IMHO the DSG is slightly quicker to change gear over a manual.

But do you know what REALLY gripes me with DSG?

- the delay from pressing the throttle from standing start before anything happens. I find it really annoying when in traffic, at traffic lights, etc!! :D
- the delay going from drive to reverse, and vice versa.
- the lack of control at what revs the car changes gear unless it is in manual mode.
- when you put it in sports mode and it hangs on to the revs despite having accelerated and then lifted throttle.

Small things... but after having done several thousand miles with both, it is enough for me decide I prefer manual despite the 'old fashioned' clutch pumping :D

So for those that have not tried both and are looking to buy - it is really important to try it for yourself and make your own mind up rather than taking someone's word for it.
VW Scirocco GT 170 in shadow blue metallic with vienna leather, cruise control, parking radar, nav, bluetooth and dynaudio sound system. Remapped and shortshift fitted.
jsmith91
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White

Post by jsmith91 »

I have to agree with you on that - I have noticed the gripes - although they don't bother me that much, but I have noticed them... especially the delay in take off which is increased when you use the stop/start.

This is the first DSG i've owned so i'm venturing in new territory, but so far despite the gripes I do love it!

One last point on the DSG - for those of you conscious of saving the planet - the fuel consumption will be slightly worse .v. a manual gearbox with comparative driving styles.

"So for those that have not tried both and are looking to buy - it is really important to try it for yourself and make your own mind up rather than taking someone's word for it." - Completely agree with this.
Sam63
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather seats, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio Soundpack, Mats.
Mods : BCS non -resonated Sports System Cat Back exhaust, H & R Springs and ITG Maxogen CAI, APR Stage 1 & 19" Satin Anthracite BBS CH R's. - Now Sold

Post by Sam63 »

charliegilmanuk wrote:
Sam63 wrote:Well I have had my DSG Roc since April 09, love it seemless, very quick and smooth, only odd quirk is on motorway driving the box sits in 5th gear not top gear lol. Even if you use the paddles and blip it into 6th it jumps back to 5th very quickly if no change in speed (sitting at 80) only good bit of this is the non res BCS exhaust growls at bit more in 5th :D
Have you got it in sport (S) mode? Certainly shouldn't do that in "D".

Another DSG man here, first automatic car and definitely not my last, makes all manual cars feel dated in comparison. If I want full manual then there's the option there, either with the paddles or the up/down shifter when the stick is slipped to the left.
Yes, it is always in sport lol
Sam63
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather seats, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio Soundpack, Mats.
Mods : BCS non -resonated Sports System Cat Back exhaust, H & R Springs and ITG Maxogen CAI, APR Stage 1 & 19" Satin Anthracite BBS CH R's. - Now Sold

Post by Sam63 »

jsmith91 wrote:I have to agree with you on that - I have noticed the gripes - although they don't bother me that much, but I have noticed them... especially the delay in take off which is increased when you use the stop/start.

This is the first DSG i've owned so i'm venturing in new territory, but so far despite the gripes I do love it!

One last point on the DSG - for those of you conscious of saving the planet - the fuel consumption will be slightly worse .v. a manual gearbox with comparative driving styles.

"So for those that have not tried both and are looking to buy - it is really important to try it for yourself and make your own mind up rather than taking someone's word for it." - Completely agree with this.
Don't have stop start so no issues there. APR remap definitely improves take off pace, mine is very very quick off a standing start :D