Help!!! Scirocco 1.4tsi compression problem

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Danharris90
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Black alloys

Help!!! Scirocco 1.4tsi compression problem

Post by Danharris90 »

Morning guys

Can anyone give me some info on why the compression in my engine is so low I've read a lot about pistons and cylinders being bummed!
Any one on here had this problem and got it sorted is so what did you do or find?

Cylinder 1 - 50psi
Cylinder 2 - 100psi
Cylinder 3 - 50psi
Cylinder 4 - 150psi

That's the results the garage gave me. What would be the normal results does anyone know ?
Thanks in advance
blower
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: Help!!! Scirocco 1.4tsi compression problem

Post by blower »

Damn...not looking good i'm afraid.

Normal compression range is 10-15 bar (145psi to 217psi) according to VW for this engine.
In reality it should be between 150-200psi.

Unfortunately 50psi on 2 of those pistons is probably down to cracked pistons on those cylinders. Low compression on this engine is pretty much always cracked pistons.
When they crack they always crack on the ring land area - this means that they begin to score and damage the cylinder walls.

SInce it's multiple pistons, there is a chance it's something else - like a head gasket failure (pretty much unheard of on this engine, so odd's are low).
Other possibility is the timing chain has slipped a tooth.

First thing i would do before pulling the head, is to just double check the timing (theres a tool used for setting the timing on this engine which also can be used to check it's timed ok).

If that checks out ok then the head will need to be pulled, if damaged pistons are found then...
The only path from there is either a new engine, an engine rebuild (cylinders rebored, new pistons) or a 2nd hand/refurbed engine.

How many miles and what year is the car? - if you also have a full VW service history there is a good chance of goodwill from them where they will pay a large amount towards a new base engine.
Danharris90

Post by Danharris90 »

Thanks for all the info and the reply. I've only owned the car for 3 months and it's still within its 6 month warranty the garage I purchased from gave me. A lot of what I've read would indicate the Pistons are cracked. I've checked the car over myself for basic head gasket problems and there's no obvious signs but I'm no mechanic I just know a little about the basics of cars haha. The coil packs and plugs have already been replaced under warranty about 3 weeks after purchasing the car. It's going back tomorrow so hopefully they will sort it under warranty as its has problems from day one basically. It's a 60 plate so 2011 on 65000 miles so I wouldn't of expected this to happen. It's missed 2 services I believe so vw will stick there noeses up to any sort of goodwill I believe
Chrisc_91
In: Urano Grey

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Sorry to hear this mate, mine went at 62000 60 plate aswell so it's almost identical to mine, the garage I got the car from did sort the problem but they weren't too keen on it. Hopefully you get it sorted mate and make sure they replace all 4 not just the 2 which are knackered, the garage originally told the mechanics who were fixing mine to replace one which seemed absolutely ridiculous.
Danharris90

Post by Danharris90 »

Thanks for the info Chris

I've had a phone call from the dealers I had the car from today and he's told me the engine is shot so he's replacing it but I'm not convinced this is what I want as he's going to put a second hand engine in it and I could be faced with the same problem. I'm unsure what I can do tho because he's willing to fix it and that's sufficient in the eyes of the law I believe..
Chrisc_91
In: Urano Grey

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Yeah I was worried about the same thing buddy, if they're putting an identical engine in then surely this problem could happen once again, but if the engine is 2011+ then I think the piston problem was resolved from them engines if I'm correct? You'll have to see what engine is going in and if it's cheaper to get the rebuild with the reinforced Pistons see if they could do that instead? I'm not much of an expert so sorry if some of my info isn't correct haha
Danharris90

Post by Danharris90 »

Still no further forward with finding a engine and don't think he's interested in the rebore and new Pistons option this the engine has past that point.. So I'm currently driving a poxy C1 that is awful. Hoping things don't take to long and I get my car back soon I go on holiday in 18days time and want my car back before that don't want it in his garage while I'm away if I'm honest.