Are these brake pads low?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
sciroccosam1
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Black gloss Wolfrace Scorpio 17", Kenwood DAB Multimedia System, Dectane smoked LED sidelights/indicators, Smoked LED taillights, LED number plate lights, Front bumper lip, Personal numberplate, Privacy glass, Red brake calipers, Black gloss exhaust caps

Are these brake pads low?

Post by sciroccosam1 »

My dealer says my brake pads are getting very low and need changing, they seem to have a lot left on them to me???
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tommy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: 19" Lugano anthricate alloy wheels
DSG gearbox
Cup Spoiler
Heated leather seats
VR Cold-Air intake
BCS Full Turbo Back 200 Cell Sport exhaust with black ceramic tips
RNS-510
Ecotech Performance remapped
Forge big brake kits 6 pots 356mm front
Forge big brake kits 4 pots 330mm rear

Re: Are these brake pads low?

Post by tommy »

What about the inside?
sciroccosam1
Options: Black gloss Wolfrace Scorpio 17", Kenwood DAB Multimedia System, Dectane smoked LED sidelights/indicators, Smoked LED taillights, LED number plate lights, Front bumper lip, Personal numberplate, Privacy glass, Red brake calipers, Black gloss exhaust caps

Post by sciroccosam1 »

Do you mean getting a picture of the middle part of the pads?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

There are obviously 2x pads per caliper, an inner and an outer. You have a picture of the outer which looks OK but how does the inner pad look? Also, dealers are notoriously conservative when reporting brake wear for 2 reasons. The first being the car may not be checked again for up to a year and secondly they are touting for business
tommy
DSG gearbox
Cup Spoiler
Heated leather seats
VR Cold-Air intake
RNS-510

Post by tommy »

Cuprabob wrote:There are obviously 2x pads per caliper, an inner and an outer. You have a picture of the outer which looks OK but how does the inner pad look? Also, dealers are notoriously conservative when reporting brake wear for 2 reasons. The first being the car may not be checked again for up to a year and secondly they are touting for business
:yes: inner is definitely the better word :p

each pair could have uneven wear so best check both out and not just the outer ones, plus i dont think you get a brake wear indicator for the rear?
sciroccosam1

Post by sciroccosam1 »

Cheers cuprabob, so I take it I'd need to remove the pads to see the inner pad?
sciroccosam1

Post by sciroccosam1 »

No tommy I think there is only a dash light for the front pads, there isn't any problems with braking, just a slight squeak from time to time.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

sciroccosam1 wrote:Cheers cuprabob, so I take it I'd need to remove the pads to see the inner pad?
If you take the wheel off you should be able to see the pad without removing it.
tommy
DSG gearbox
Cup Spoiler
Heated leather seats
VR Cold-Air intake
RNS-510

Post by tommy »

sciroccosam1 wrote:Cheers cuprabob, so I take it I'd need to remove the pads to see the inner pad?
stick your head underneath the car and have a look :D or use a small inspection mirror...

My car made squeaky noises when maneuvered in car parks before, changed the rear pads and discs and the noises are gone.
sciroccosam1

Post by sciroccosam1 »

Ah right, I'll get some pics of the inner pads shortly and post them. Thanks a lot!
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

sciroccosam1 wrote:Ah right, I'll get some pics of the inner pads shortly and post them. Thanks a lot!
Why can't you make the judgement yourself?

You would want to change before a pad got to circa 3mm.

For reference a new front pad has around 12mm of material and a rear pad around 8mm.
sciroccosam1

Post by sciroccosam1 »

Cheers cuprabob for the info, I'll take a look on the inside and I'll be able to tell like you say whether they need changing or not. Thanks very much for your help!!!
chelspeed
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sold it!

Post by chelspeed »

The inner pads are pushed directly by the piston, the outers rely on the slidey claw bit sliding properly in it's mounts to push them against the disc. That means inevitably the inner pads will always wear slightly more than the outers. Brand new the difference will be small but as the slidey bit gets older, grotted up with dust and stiffer the difference will be more. That why the pad wear sensor in the front is in the inner pad not the outer.

I think 3mm might be a sensible number for changing the fronts (I'd probably say more like 2mm) as they start with something like 12mm of pad. But for the rears a new pad is more like 6mm so one with 3mm has plenty of life left. I'd be thinking of changing rears at 1mm.

But that's me who probably checks pads a lot more often than most. YMMV, If you're only going to check them once a year then a higher limit may be prudent.
sciroccosam1

Post by sciroccosam1 »

Thanks chelspeed, I've yet to take a look at the inner pads, thank you for the info it's appreciated.