The Scirocco 1.4 TSi 2009 i have just bought ..advice please

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Jacko5
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Heated Leather Interior.. Winter Pack .. Panoramic Sunroof .. RCD 510 Radio

Post by Jacko5 »

Ok as some of you know i have just bought the above Scirocco.
I bought it direct from VW dealer in Gloucester.
Its a 2009 1.4 TSi full VW Service History 29,000 miles.
I have 30 days to take the car back for ANY reason and get something else.
I looked in the service book and spark plugs where changed last August.
I am unsure what else has been done as i only have the service book and no receipts.
I now know i have the dreaded 1.4 Tsi 2009 engine .. maybe i should have done my research first doh.
The car has 2 years warranty from VW if the engine went faulty would i have to fork out for inspection etc ?
I have just bought a OBDeleven from ebay should arrive in a week or so ,can i use that to see what has been done to the car via service menu or anything ?
What can i do to minimise the chance of my engine going bang ?
I am having serious doubts about the car from reading about the 1.4 TSi online.
Just to add its has full heated black leather,panoramic sunroof and the bodywork is in amazing condition,so i really like the car.
Also gave my Honda Civic in PX ... £3500 what will happen if i take the car back and they have disposed of my old car ?
Sorry for the long winded post.
Many thanks for any replies.
Scirocco TSi 1.4 ... Rising Blue ... Decent Spec.
greg7728
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box

Re: The Scirocco 1.4 TSi 2009 i have just bought ..advice pl

Post by greg7728 »

I would go back to VW raise your concerns and they will likely be able to look up via the reg what work has been done (by VW) may put your mind at ease, also ask them if the known issues arise who deals with the diagnostic, maybe specify this is a clincher for u keeping the car and get something in writing. If ur engine is affected it'll raise its head within the two years - I'm on 25k and already had the issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deejbb

Post by Deejbb »

Don't let horror stories put you off - just keep an eye on the oil level and I'm sure you will be fine.. Obviously the 1.4tsi has had quite a few issues but you've got the 2 year warranty which will cover any issues that may arise. You definitely won't be charged for any inspection or diagnostics if anything does go wrong so worst situation it won't cost you anything for the next 2 years engine wise..

Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

As said, VW will be able to advise exactly what has been done to the car within the franchise network.

OBD tool won't be able to tell you anything regarding servicing and what has been done but to be honest there is not much to servicing a modern car. It's an oil and filter change, which is done at every service and a set of plugs, which you know have been done. Other than that it's just air filter and pollen filter. 95% of a service is checks.

You have the best warranty for the car so just enjoy the car but keep an eye out for misfires as well as a close eye on the oil level.
salsajoe
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

As well as Cuprabob's service checks the other regular change is brake fluid every 2 years after the first three years - should be registered in the service book. I have a 2011 scirocco from new (now 50k) and not had any problems apart from the tail gate needing adjustment under warranty. Still not using any oil. I use higher grade fuel than 95 and do an oil and filter change every 6 months with 5w30 long life oil.
tSeL
In: Deep Black
Options: Etuners stage 1 100 RON ,custom exhaust , s3 intercooler , custom intake, tmg bov

Post by tSeL »

Listen, if you follow my tips you ll be fine i believe.
1st ) use 100 octane fuel only.
2nd) wait for oil to get to 75 degrees before you floor it
3rd) if you rev your car on high rpm you ll have to let it relax and drop your temperature.
4th) dont turn off the car if you havent waited at least for 30 seconds on idle.
5th) if while accelerating you feel some hesitation or cuts let off the throttle and change your fuel to something better
6th) dont floor it while your fuel tank is on reserve
7th) dont push it near max speed
8th) if you get into tuning text me lol

Jacko5
Options: Heated Leather Interior.. Winter Pack .. Panoramic Sunroof .. RCD 510 Radio

Post by Jacko5 »

Many thanks for all the info guys,much appreciated.
I will take notice of all the above.
First thing Saturday i will phone VW for the info on the car.
I have already felt some hesitation so i will change to a better fuel.
What is 100 octane fuel in the UK ?
I have Shell garage near me.
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Jacko5 wrote:Many thanks for all the info guys,much appreciated.
I will take notice of all the above.
First thing Saturday i will phone VW for the info on the car.
I have already felt some hesitation so i will change to a better fuel.
What is 100 octane fuel in the UK ?
I have Shell garage near me.
It's 98 Ron fuel, Shell Nitro+ or BP Ultimate! :)
Jacko5

Post by Jacko5 »

Cheers bud.
V Power as well ?
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Jacko5 wrote:Cheers bud.
V Power as well ?
Yup - Nitro+ I think is the new name for V-power!
Shakeystevo

Post by Shakeystevo »

Tesco do a 99 ron. Not sure what people think of it tho...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Shakeystevo wrote:Tesco do a 99 ron. Not sure what people think of it tho...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Some people think quite highly of Tesco Momentum and others don't. Just buy what works for you.
AlanH
In: Deep Black
Options: Nav

Post by AlanH »

I've got a MY2012 1.4 160. As long as you look after it and follow the above tips you'll have no problems. Yes, there are horror stories, but just think how many of these engines were produced and put into cars........
This engine when it's on song is an absolute gem. It punches well above its weight and with just a quality stage 1 remap (I have a REVO map on mine) it definitely is very surprising.
Main thing is to check the oil regularly and change it in between scheduled services (I change mine every 3000 miles) with a quality oil and genuine filter. And I always use Tesco Momentum fuel.
You won't go far wrong really

Mine: Scirocco 1.4TSi
Others: Fabia MC BE, Citigo BE
Mods: OE sunshades, LED interior/exterior lights, Dectane rear clusters, K&N panel filter, Milltek catbak NR, 35mm H&R springs, 98RON REVO Stage 1, HP Dashcam
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Update on mine, warranty company refusing the claim as piston only had a hairline crack and valves were not seated - citing manufacturer error and I'm stuck for 2.5k engine rebuild is the bottom line. Anyone have any experience trying to claim under section 75 on finance agreement at all? That's my last resort as vehicle not fit for purpose (25k miles and engine needs rebuilding) - grateful of any advices as engine is in bits.

Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

greg7728 wrote:Update on mine, warranty company refusing the claim as piston only had a hairline crack and valves were not seated - citing manufacturer error and I'm stuck for 2.5k engine rebuild is the bottom line. Anyone have any experience trying to claim under section 75 on finance agreement at all? That's my last resort as vehicle not fit for purpose (25k miles and engine needs rebuilding) - grateful of any advices as engine is in bits.

Ouch!!!!
Phil
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

philjay92 wrote:
greg7728 wrote:Update on mine, warranty company refusing the claim as piston only had a hairline crack and valves were not seated - citing manufacturer error and I'm stuck for 2.5k engine rebuild is the bottom line. Anyone have any experience trying to claim under section 75 on finance agreement at all? That's my last resort as vehicle not fit for purpose (25k miles and engine needs rebuilding) - grateful of any advices as engine is in bits.

Ouch!!!!
tell me about it Phil