Help with DRL lights not working properly

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
RYANWOOD4
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Matte grey with gloss black highlights - H&R springs - 18" Y-spoke alloys - R Cup rear spoiler - Carbon fibre interior - more to come...

Help with DRL lights not working properly

Post by RYANWOOD4 »

Hi,

Firstly, just want to say hello. This forum has been invaluable since I got my Scirocco a year ago, I've followed so many tutorials and got so many ideas. It's a brilliant resource!

On to the issue at hand. I've just got some LED DRL's for my 2.0 TSI (2009). They seemed to work fine. Unlocking the car (when dark), they come on. However, after a few seconds, they turn off. When turning the ignition on, they don't come on and I get the usual bulb warning light. Does anyone know why this is? They obviously work fine when you unlock the car, but seem useless after that. Does something need resetting or are they just faulty?

Any help is appreciated.

(On a side note, I had a similar problem when I swapped out the bulbs for LED versions).
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Re: Help with DRL lights not working properly

Post by Roy_01 »

Are you using canbus leds? What you can try is to erase the fault codes with vcds and see if they will start working.
If they light up when you unlock your car they don't seem faulty to me.
RYANWOOD4
Options: Matte grey with gloss black highlights - H&R springs - 18" Y-spoke alloys - R Cup rear spoiler - Carbon fibre interior - more to come...

Post by RYANWOOD4 »

Roy_01 wrote:Are you using canbus leds? What you can try is to erase the fault codes with vcds and see if they will start working.
If they light up when you unlock your car they don't seem faulty to me.
Hi Roy,

They claim to be CANBUS bulbs, but I'm skeptical. I've attached a photo of the unit below.
Do you know how to erase the fault codes?

Thanks for the help!

Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

I have the same type of lights. The do work when you unlock the car so it's wired properly.
Does the turn signal work? Fault codes erasing isn't very complicated but you got to have vcds.
Maybe someone nearby with vcds can take a look for you? This type of fault codes shop up under 09 - central electronics.
Then go to fault codes and you can see what kind of faults the car has noticed. Save the fault codes and then clear fault codes.
How are the lights connected? With the sidelight connector and the turn signal connector?
RYANWOOD4

Post by RYANWOOD4 »

Roy,

Thanks. Glad to hear you've got the same and they work! Yep, turn signals work perfectly. I've noticed when I turn the engine on, the white lights flicker a couple of times, but remain off after. The turn signal is connected via the connecter, but the side light (white) is just flat pin that pushes into the bulb slot (if that makes sense).

I'll have to have an ask around. Not sure I know anyone with a VCDS unless the dealer would take a look.

Cheers for the help!
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

Yes that exactly how it's connected on my car. Have you tried to turn the connector for the side light 180 degrees?
The dealer will not take a look for free and because it's not OEM i don't think they wil be very helpfull.
The flashing is a kind of cold light diagnosis.
RYANWOOD4

Post by RYANWOOD4 »

Yeah, tried turning the connector 180º. Didn't work.

I'll try a local garage I use, see if they'll have a look, but first I've ordered some resistors - I've seen it mentioned that the turn signals have built in resistors but the DRL doesn't and some cars are more sensitive, so it might just be that. They arrive Wednesday, so I shall report back.

Thanks for your help though Roy!!
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

Yes the resistors are important, they have to match the same current as the original bulb to keep the canbus system happy. I thought it was a complet unit with all the resistors build in.
Let me know when you get it working, the resistors have to be connected parallel.
RYANWOOD4

Post by RYANWOOD4 »

Hi Roy, just thought I'd let you know the resistors worked a treat! Thanks for your help.
Roy_01

Post by Roy_01 »

Good to hear! Glad the resistors solved the problem.