RPM at 80 mph 1,4 vs 2.0

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
kurre3
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: *Dynaudio & Sat Nav, Lights and vision pack with xenon lights
*Premium- and sport pack (DCC, Interlagos, alcantara seats, mats, tinted widows, cruise, winter pack, climtronic, alarm,
black roof lining & black framed air vents)
- Tyre pressaure indicator & media in

RPM at 80 mph 1,4 vs 2.0

Post by kurre3 »

Having a difficult time choosing between the tsi 1,4 and the GT... I' ve ordered a 1,4 for which i plan an ecu upgrade.Slightly bothered of side effects such as turbo not lasting as long as original, service issues etc etc. Another issue is engine loundness at cruising speed in comparision. I will spend much time driving on freeways and therefore asking you which model you would prefer when crusing in 80 mph?

What's the rpm level at 80 in the 1.4 vs. 2.0 for example?

Thanks!
dabs
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
Options: Stock

Re: RPM at 80 mph 1,4 vs 2.0

Post by dabs »

In a 1.4 revs are at about 2200 in 6th @ motorway speed ;)
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

What is "motorway" speed? 2200 revs seems very low for the 1.4 at 80mph, I thought it would be around 3000 minimum.

I can confirm that at 80mph a TDI does 2000rpm.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
DjIceT
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Alarm, parking sensor, cruise control, coming/leaving home lights, rain sensor, GT package, 18" Chicago alloys, multifunction steering wheel, alloy pedals.
RNS 510 - installed, not working yet..

Post by DjIceT »

The 1.4 does 2200 rpm when hitting 100 km/h in 6th. So around 3000 seems correct for 80 mph.
CTRnutter
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

I'm not sure the size of the engine will have a huge imapct as the revs will be down to gearing! :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
kurre3
*Premium- and sport pack (DCC, Interlagos, alcantara seats, mats, tinted widows, cruise, winter pack, climtronic, alarm,

Post by kurre3 »

CTRnutter wrote:I'm not sure the size of the engine will have a huge imapct as the revs will be down to gearing! :)
Sorry if I'm slow here but can you explain that further please? Doesn't small engine volumes mean higher revs? I changed my R6 for an R1 since the 1000cc had consierable impact on revs (and sound volume) cruising in 80ish!
CTRnutter
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

kurre3 wrote:
CTRnutter wrote:I'm not sure the size of the engine will have a huge imapct as the revs will be down to gearing! :)
Sorry if I'm slow here but can you explain that further please? Doesn't small engine volumes mean higher revs? I changed my R6 for an R1 since the 1000cc had consierable impact on revs (and sound volume) cruising in 80ish!
Fairly good explanation on how gearboxes work here :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gearbox

you'll probably find that the revs on both cars are probably almost identical, I'll confirm later when i take it out for a spin, but you'll just notice the 2.0ltr will pull harder from lower revs than the 1.4ltr does but thats because the 2.0ltr is a higher capacity engine (more grunt)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
kurre3

Post by kurre3 »

There you go, a reason for a sunday ride in your precious. :D Check rpm at 100km/h too then :yes:
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

At 60mph the 1.4 in 6th is at 2000rpm

Deacon
playing in my '86
Hassan Adly
Options: It came with DSG, RCD510 with MDI, 17" wheels, cruise control, parking sensors, xenon lights, black leather seats, bluetooth, and a lot of other things I can't remember right now..

Post by Hassan Adly »

So theoretical top speed in 7th gear is over 300km/h :)
Hassan Adly
Options: It came with DSG, RCD510 with MDI, 17" wheels, cruise control, parking sensors, xenon lights, black leather seats, bluetooth, and a lot of other things I can't remember right now..

Post by Hassan Adly »

Actually you are quoting rpm for the manual box, if I recall correctly it's different with the DSG, I will look and report back.

Personally I hardly notice engine noise regardless of speed. At very high speeds there is some wind noise but the motor doesn't make a racket.
kurre3

Post by kurre3 »

Hassan Adly wrote:Actually you are quoting rpm for the manual box, if I recall correctly it's different with the DSG, I will look and report back.

Personally I hardly notice engine noise regardless of speed. At very high speeds there is some wind noise but the motor doesn't make a racket.
Happy with that. 2000 rpm at 60 sounds fair too.