Car-net App connect

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Rid_1
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Car-net App connect

Post by Rid_1 »

Hi

Has anybody got app connect added by VW post delivery of their car. From what I've read, the new MIB2 units have the hardware included so the app-connect can be activated (for £100 I think) if it wasn't purchased when ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alex_412
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Rising Blue

Re: Car-net App connect

Post by alex_412 »

Would be interested to know this also. I have registered the "car net" and have this working. Dont see much point really, couple useful things such as it finds nearest car parks along with how many spaces available (have not actually tested it) also finds petrol stations and can sort by price per gallon etc. other good point is you can enable traffic flow on sat nav...other stuff as checking the news/weather pretty pointless. there is no extra costs to get this working just need to register online. App connect wasnt available for me when i specced my car so hoping can somehow get them to add it on free... unlikely though.

Anyone have voice control working? mine says need an activation key..
Rid_1

Post by Rid_1 »

Yeah - not that interested in the car-net. But it's free so can't complain. It's the app connect I'm interested in - that allows CarPlay/Android Auto to work (and I suspect the voice control - hence the request for an activation key). It's the key which costs £100 I believe.
mikezero
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: 19" Talladega, Leather Interior, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Xenons, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, MIBII, Pana Sunroof, Park Assist, Winter Pack, DCC, RV Camera, Rear 90% tint, Car Net, Voice Activation.

Post by mikezero »

I have both in my new Scirocco.

For car-net, one needs to set up one's phone as a wifi mobile hotspot (ie tethering) for this to operate depending on your phone contract.

For app-connect, yes, there is a £100 cost involved but it allows your phone & car to run Android Auto & Apple Carplay. For this to operate, one has to plug one's mobile phone into the USB port of one's car.
Retrobot
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box

Post by Retrobot »

Anyone know any VW garage that can actually provide the activation key? The one I asked said they weren't setup to do that yet.
boothyyyy
In: Candy White

Post by boothyyyy »

I've tried 3 garages in the North East and none have them have been able to help so far. They are advising end of the year as to when the part will be available. Anyone else had any luck?
Rid_1

Post by Rid_1 »

mikezero wrote:I have both in my new Scirocco.

For car-net, one needs to set up one's phone as a wifi mobile hotspot (ie tethering) for this to operate depending on your phone contract.

For app-connect, yes, there is a £100 cost involved but it allows your phone & car to run Android Auto & Apple Carplay. For this to operate, one has to plug one's mobile phone into the USB port of one's car.

Hi Mike. Was yours factory fitted or activated after receiving the vehicle?
stono
In: Rising Blue
Options: Recaro seats, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Car-Net, Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by stono »

Car-Net = waste of money and generally quite shit
the app connect thing to use Android Auto however, is great! Can access all my Google Music, Maps etc, reads out whatsapp/facebook/texts, voice reply etc.
Retrobot
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Night Blue

Post by Retrobot »

Ive tried two garages to get app-connect enabled but both haven't got any information on it yet will keep trying, maybe have to wait until end of the year :(
mikezero
I drive a: R-Line
Options: 19" Talladega, Leather Interior, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Xenons, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, MIBII, Pana Sunroof, Park Assist, Winter Pack, DCC, RV Camera, Rear 90% tint, Car Net, Voice Activation.

Post by mikezero »

Rid_1 wrote:
mikezero wrote:I have both in my new Scirocco.

Hi Mike. Was yours factory fitted or activated after receiving the vehicle?

I spec'd car-net / app-connect upon ordering the car, when I took delivery I had to activate car-net over the internet and then app-connect became available.

Car-Net really is a waste of time, Android Auto performs a lot better.
roccopanda
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by roccopanda »

I'm guessing that retrofitting this to the old Scirocco/RNS315 is a no-go?
lewis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: metalic paint & winter pack

Post by lewis »

Very little information on Car Net within the index - does that mean that it is of little use ?

How many members have it and can someone give an opinion.

Many thanks

Jeff