TDi Chrome tail pipes (up-date 3/7)

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
klippie
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, Panny roof, Cruise, Parking sensors, Winter pack, Metal pedals, GT steering wheel badge, Mudflaps, Rubber mats and boot liner. Stainless tailpipes.

TDi Chrome tail pipes (up-date 3/7)

Post by klippie »

A quick question to all petrol engined Scirocco owners, do the chrome tail pipes look like they are slip on items or are they actually part of the pipes.
The reason I ask is my TDI has no chrome tail pipes just the plain outlet of the exhaust the same colour as the back box, interestingly when you spec a car on the VW web site it states the TDI's have chrome pipes.

Thanks in advance... :)
Last edited by klippie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rehmondo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Re: Chrome tail pipes

Post by rehmondo »

They are part of the pipes not cover tips :yes:
Nobby
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Carat - Top French Spec with Leather heated electric seats, Electric mirrors, Rain Sensor, Auto headlights, Bi-zone air con, Cruise control, Puddle lights, Alloy pedals etc.
+ Sat Nav & alarm (Pack Techno)
+ DCC
+ Parking Sensors & Tyre pressure indicator (Pack City Light)

Post by Nobby »

The new price list for May (year model 2010) just came out in france with chrome tail pipes in the options section, I assume they are slip ons, they are said to be for the standard exhaust

Don't know what diameter is on the TDI but the parts are as follows

2x60 Reference: 00007 1910 €135.00
2x70 Reference: 00007 1910A €135.00

Guess they'll be available in the UK too
ABN1C
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Leather, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio, Smokers Pack, Piano Black Interior Trim, Fiscon Bluetooth, Covered Cup Holder, Metal Pedals

Post by ABN1C »

Probably a daft question, but is there a technical reason why they don't give you chrome tailpipes on the diesel?
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

The chrome pipes are not part of the exhaust as such on the petrol, GT. They are only chrome covers tack welded into place. I don't think you would have a problem retro fitting a pair..
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
JohnC
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Parking sensors, folding mirrors, winter pack, smoking pack, tyre pressure indicator

Post by JohnC »

Mmm.

Very odd, the non-GT TDi in the "Performance Car" magazine clearly does have the chrome tail-pipes (it even gets a special mention because of this feature).

I'll be more than a little disappointed if they're not on my car...
ABN1C
Options: Leather, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio, Smokers Pack, Piano Black Interior Trim, Fiscon Bluetooth, Covered Cup Holder, Metal Pedals

Post by ABN1C »

JohnC wrote:Mmm.

Very odd, the non-GT TDi in the "Performance Car" magazine clearly does have the chrome tail-pipes (it even gets a special mention because of this feature).

I'll be more than a little disappointed if they're not on my car...
Bad news I'm afraid as my car doesn't have them and the latest price list says "Chrome twin exhaust tailpipe (2.0 TSI 200 PS only)"
klippie
Options: Leather, Panny roof, Cruise, Parking sensors, Winter pack, Metal pedals, GT steering wheel badge, Mudflaps, Rubber mats and boot liner. Stainless tailpipes.

Post by klippie »

Thanks for all the reply's lads... :),

I don't understand why the diesel Scirocco's don't have chrome pipes... :shrug:, anyway I think I may have found a supplier I'll give them a phone and post the outcome.
Paulo
In: Sumatra
Options: Front Fog Lights; Electric Folding Door Mirrors; Tinted Rear Windows; Rear Parking Sensors; Flat Tyre Indicator

Post by Paulo »

Look forward to the details of the supplier Klippie - I'm looking for this as well!

Cheers,
Paul.
true
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

klippie wrote:I don't understand why the diesel Scirocco's don't have chrome pipes...
They'd get dirty too quickly :p
rehmondo
In: Candy White
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

silver130 wrote:The chrome pipes are not part of the exhaust as such on the petrol, GT. They are only chrome covers tack welded into place. I don't think you would have a problem retro fitting a pair..
Most chrome tips you can buy don't require any welding - they just simply click on and stay in place - Audi do some for the MK2 TT for around £56.

As silver130 has stated the originals on the GT model are welded into place hence why I said they were part of the exhaust - I fitted them on my brothers TT and once they clicked in (using a lot of force) - they're practically impossible to take off now - so I don't think you have to worry about people nicking them if they are not welded on.
Paulo
In: Sumatra
Options: Front Fog Lights; Electric Folding Door Mirrors; Tinted Rear Windows; Rear Parking Sensors; Flat Tyre Indicator

Post by Paulo »

So after all the discussion anyone fitted any "clip-on" chrome tips?
klippie

Post by klippie »

Paulo,

Sorry mate I've never followed my inquiry up as I've got some serious car trouble just now when its all resolved I'll get back on it... :(
mitch

Post by mitch »

also interested in what happens here, Runnin an oil burner and as previously mentioned we just get some standard dual pipes. Would love to get some "clip" ons or similar ...
klippie

Re: TDi Chrome tail pipes (up-date 3/7)

Post by klippie »

Good news I've sourced a set of slip-on polished stainless steel tail pipes for the Tdi exhausts... :woohoo:

I visited a local company today to have a look, their pipes are straight ends like the ones fitted to the TSi's and they will look just fine but as TDi owners know the diesel's pipes are slash cut so you'll see the very bottom edge of the exhaust on the straight cut tail pipe but not a problem once it soots up. But I’ve found another local company who said they may be able to supply a set of slash cut stainless pipes to the spec I wanted so I’am going to check them out next week... :D

Personally I’d rather have a set of slash cut pipes over the straight ended ones but I’d like to know what everyone’s preference is so I can find out what they can supply and the cost of them.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

Not having the car yet, what's the difference between the straight end and slash cut?

Could depend on price - if the slash cuts look better but are going to be twice the price it might negate the asthetics, but I'm interested in getting a set.
steve r
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Parking sensors
Cruise control

Post by steve r »

170 tdi has chrome ends!! can't see why the 140 doesn't.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

Product differentiation I guess.

Unless the MY2010 has included the chrome pipes on all GT models - has anyone got a 2010 140 TDI yet?
klippie

Post by klippie »

ayeaye wrote:what's the difference between the straight end and slash cut?
Slash cut
Slash.jpg
Straight cut
Straight.jpg
Good to hear the 2010 TDi's have chrome tailpipes they finish off the rear of the car just great... :yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klippie

Post by klippie »

I've got them fitted at last, they are straight ended I couldn't get slash cut after all but the straight ends look just fine... :D

They were supplied from this company - http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/products/tail-pipes/ - do a "Find A Dealer" search for an outlet close to you. They are stainless steel and cost £45 all in from the place local to me which I though was pretty good considering they were custom made for the Scirocco.

Here is a drawing of the dimensions I used for my tailpipes please feel free to print off a copy and take it in to get a set made up, you will also need a 8mm stainless steel bolt 16mm long and a few drops of thread lock for the bolt when you fit them to stop them coming loose.