Replacement Air Con Compressor

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
garethpl1979
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Pano Roof

Replacement Air Con Compressor

Post by garethpl1979 »

Hi

New to here but hope you can help. Bought a Scirocco GT 2.0 tdi ( 170 ) in Jan.

Had a few issues with the car which have now been fixed after a lot of hard work with VW but still have a problem with the air con after VW did air con service.

The air con just does not seem to get cold, had an independent check it for me and they said the gas levels were right but it looked like the compressor may have expired. Checked my warranty and Air con is not covered. Spoke to VA this morning and they were saying around £ 1000 to £ 1400.

Been looking about and seen that you can get a compressor for around £ 250 to £ 350. Seen a Denso one but wondered if anyone else had had the same problem and wondered what they bought ?
Huttchy
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Indium Grey
Options: GT Spec:
- 18" Alloys
- Fog lights
- Multifunctional steering wheel, ETC

- Stage 1 REVO Remap
- Gauge Sweep
- De-badged
- De-wipered
- Powerflow cat-back
- Full white LED interior lights
- Red Footwell LED's
- Concept RS Front Splitter
- R Rear Lights

Re: Replacement Air Con Compressor

Post by Huttchy »

hello Gareth,

I found I had the same problem, the air-con would just never get cold.
The garage I took it to run a diagnostics test and come up with 2 fault codes, one for a sensor and the other for the air con unit, at the front of the engine bay (not sure if that's the same as your on about).

I had these both replaced;
The sensor was under warranty so all good (was £120)
the air-con unit was typically not, it was £380 for the unit but £100/£150 labour (re/gassing)
The air-con system seems to be rather expensive! and a common fault with the roccos!

Still. my Air-con does not work! Back and for the garage for the last 2 months with it!

We are slowly getting somewhere! it could be a possible few things now!
The actual screen/buttons that we press that dial could be faulty,
There are two control modules behind the glove-box (one for Air-con and one for the fan system,I think)
There are no relays for the air-con in my rocco (60 plate) so we thought maybe a fuse so check the fuses, unfortunately it was not the fuse -.-!!!!

but if we find out what it is, or if you do let me know :D hope this helped a little,
don't go running in thinking it the air-con compressor get them to check the other things first :)

Thanks
Aron
garethpl1979

Post by garethpl1979 »

Will bare this in mid, it dod work for a short time and VW did an air con service in april so if there was anything up i would expect them to have found it but considering what was up with the car after i bought it i am not surprised this was missed.

The independent i saw at weekend is 99.9 % sure its just the compressor as the system was at 4 bar so no gas leak from the look of it.

Just wonder was is the best make of compressor to get for the money ? euro car parts do a few and this is who my mechanic deals with so will take there advice.
garethpl1979

Post by garethpl1979 »

No one got any suggestions ?
He10sjr
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box
Options: Piano black trims, 19" alloys, leather, xenons, dynaudio

Post by He10sjr »

If you have a full Vw service history you will get goodwill if you twist your dealers arm. The compressors aren't cheap at all. A compressor at the end of the day is a compressor in my eyes where where ever you get one from and who ever fits it. If you have right amount of gas in system your condenser will be ok. And should be seeing roughly 2bar low pressure and roughly 8-10bar high side. Some of the compressors VW have uses have a common issue with the screw coming out of the pully end so check that as this can be easily done yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk