Rough running.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
BishBashBosh
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Re: Rough running.

Post by BishBashBosh »

Had the same problem on my 1.4 160 - ended up with a new injector on Cylinder 1 - runs like a dream now, shame my wallet was battered for around £400! Seemingly this is quite common at around the 40,000 mile mark.
BishBashBosh

Post by BishBashBosh »

How did you get on? I had the same problem on 1.4tsi - ended up with a new injector on Cylinder 1 after testing all sparks and coil packs - fairly common at around 40k miles by the sounds of things. Just hope the other 3 dont go anytime soon!
owen191
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White

Post by owen191 »

Just a quick question.. my 2.0 tsi has the exact same issue, ive removed the plugs and they visually look ok, did you notice anything out of the ordinary with the plugs you removed? Did this issue bring up any lights on the dash? Mine hasn't as of yet.

Thanks
VWClaty
In: Rising Blue
Options: MillTek cat back
Vmaxx lowering springs
Forge BOV
DCC

Post by VWClaty »

no lights on the dash for the plugs, and mine were almost black when i pulled them, do you know when your plugs were last changed? if it's not the plugs it could simply be a coil pack
owen191
In: Candy White

Post by owen191 »

light dusting of soot on mine. They were changed not last service but the service before, approx 1.5 years ago. I bought a coil pack and put it in each cylinder 1 at a time and this made no difference. Im debating whether to go down the MAF route. Also, im trying to find out how to use VCDS for testing the MAF? Any suggestions?
VWClaty
Vmaxx lowering springs
Forge BOV
DCC

Post by VWClaty »

hmm, could be worth maybe buying a plug and trying it in each cylinder like you did with the coil? plugs kind of give up when they fancy it, so it could be worth a try, but in answer to VCDS for the MAF, i wouldn't know sorry, VCDS is beyond my knowledge haha!
TheRustySheriff
Options: Heated Leather seats, Sat-Nav, Bluetooth, Pan Roof, Rear Park Sensors

Post by TheRustySheriff »

Hello.
Update. Unfortunately the changing of spark plugs hasn't totally solved my problem of rough running at low speeds.

The car has been into VW for a 2 hour diagnostic and no fault codes have been recorded and nothing wrong with fueling or ignition. The only explanation they can come up with is potentially 'carbon deposits on the intake valves'. Problem being its a 3 hour job to remove inlet manifold to check. At £90 an hour, its just too steep for a theory.

My next step is to find the best carbon deposit cleaner (or several) i can find and see if it helps.

Opinions or suggestions please.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

It would be worth giving the throttle body a good clean. That can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Just use carb cleaner or IPA
TheRustySheriff

Found this. I know its Audi but same power plant. Explains the issue if you scroll down to carbon build up issue. Also, i just used the BK44 stuff and will report back any improvements.

http://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/2- ... tuning.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VWClaty
Vmaxx lowering springs
Forge BOV
DCC

Post by VWClaty »

Look forward to hearing the results, I think my engine could do with a flush!
TheRustySheriff

Hey.

Its been a while since i updated.

Couldn't really tell if engine flush made a difference as the problem i had still persisted afterwards as i didn't realise the rocco is direct injection so the valves never see the fuel... learn something new everyday!
The general theory is a carbon build up on the inlet valves. Possibly a sooty build up on the lambda sensor I've heard today. I think a combination of poor fuel and poor maintenance by the previous owner is the cause. Its gonna be £300 to have the inlet manifold off and the valves cleaned. I was also recommended to drive it harder for longer to attempt to burn off the deposits and this has left a marked inprovement but still not perfect. Before it would hesitate 9/10 times, now its 50/50.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue would be great to hear from you.

Stu-

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
lokyt
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: 18" Interlagos, Vienna Black Leather, Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Dynaudio Pack, Badge Deletion, Electric Mirrors, Stainless Steel Sills, Alloy Pedals, LEDs

Post by lokyt »

Hi Rusty, can you tell me where you picked up the removal tool from?

Thanks

Lokty
VWClaty
Vmaxx lowering springs
Forge BOV
DCC

Post by VWClaty »

hi rusty, just wondering if you had your engine cleaned, and if so, how did you get on?
TheRustySheriff

Hi.

I had my engined cleaned yesterday by a company called Cambridgeshire Carbon Clean. They can be found on facebook and its a mobile service. Unsure what kind of distance they cover outside of this area though. Its seems to have given me a much smoother running engine. Its not perfect as i got quite a high milage car. (86k)

They basically pump hydrogen gas into the air intake and the hydrogen sticks to the carbon and burns it off that way. All the crap ends up being blown out the exhaust.

Lokty, unsure of tool you enquire about.

VWClaty
Vmaxx lowering springs
Forge BOV
DCC

Post by VWClaty »

nice, glad to hear it sorted the problem! i think my scirocco is going to have to go sadly, first the timing chain went, now the supercharger clutch has gone.. might be time for an S3.. :P
TheRustySheriff

Oooh sorry to hear that mate. Thats a pretty tragic way to end your scirocco ownership.

schesterg
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: Leather, satnav, parking sensors

Post by schesterg »

My 2.0 tsi r line has only 27000 miles and runs like crap. Lumpy, very jerky at low revs and in traffic, staggered acceleration, its been to vw twice and because the computer says no they don't want to know. I love the car but am so fed up with it I'm thinking of selling as it's pathetic having to go to all this trouble on a car that's under 30k and only 2 yrs old. Certainly not what you imagine when ypu think about a vw, they are supposed to be good lol. Mine is anything but. Don't think I'd ever have another as there are two sciroccos in my household, one of which is a brand new 15 plate 1.4 tsi and they are both rubbish mine for engine complaints and the other for peeling trim and carpets and a radio that barely works. What happend to vw!
TheRustySheriff

After numerous trips to the garage, i have finally found the answer to all my engine fluttering woes!! £400 well spent. Turns out it was a carbon build up on the inlet manifold and other associated areas. The garage removed manifold and spent 40 min per port cleaning out the build up. It now runs like a dream. I reckon it was caused by poor driving and cheap fuel used by previous owner.

If anybody else is having rough running and engine stuttering and fluttering issues then i recommend looking into this. And avoid those Carbon Engine Clean companies as after mine was done we ended up removing the manifold anyway and it didn't look like it had removed anything!!

blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

Glad you got it sorted.

I doubt it was cheap fuel - it has no influence on carbon build up on the intake valves with these engines, as since they are direct injection the valves never see any fuel at all - unlike the older port injection engines where fuel would spray over the valves and clean them in the process.

The 2.0 TSI is well known for carbon build up. At 86k any 2.0 TSI will be coked up to hell - many of them need a carbon clean at <50k let alone 86k. Its just an unfortunate flaw that affects all direct injection engines - but the 2.0 TSI is particularly bad, partly due to a poor PCV and also somewhat leaky valve stem seals.
blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

TheRustySheriff wrote:And avoid those Carbon Engine Clean companies as after mine was done we ended up removing the manifold anyway and it didn't look like it had removed anything!!
I second that! - only way to clean an intake tract and valves is to take the manifold off and get in there - cleaning by hand with brushes & chemicals or better still with a walnut shell media blaster.