New Scirocco owner, few issues.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
mxgaza33
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box

New Scirocco owner, few issues.

Post by mxgaza33 »

Hi! Bought myself a 140Tdi Bluemotion in Green and have had it for just over a month so far with not many complaints. Coming from a Stage 2+ tuned Audi S3 it's as slow as a week in the jail but it was bought for the economy which I'm more than happy with.

There's a few issues with the car that I've got at the moment, one being that the passenger side window switch doesn't work. Now before I try to claim for this under the warranty there isn't a lock on the drivers side to stop the passenger rolling the window down is there? I can't see any button anywhere, both switches on the drivers side operate both windows fine and I've had VCDS plugged into the car which shows no change when the switch is operated so must be either the wiring or the switch itself. Is it worth sending it into a garage for this or is it a very simple job to swap it out myself?

Another issue I've discovered today is 2 hooks hidden in the boot under the rear seats behind a flap have badly rusted, this means when I put the rear seats down these rusted hooks rub on the seats and leave 2 horrible rust marks on each seat when you put them back into the upright position :( Does anyone know what these hooks are connected to and if I can remove them to clean them up and possibly paint them to prevent this happening again? Here's pictures of the hooks in question.

Thanks
r.gbrown
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: DSG 160 tsi, folding mirrors, rear parking, tints, multi function wheel, front fogs, badge deletion, stainless steel sill covers, red footwell lights, powder coated wheels, stainless steel tail pipes, panoramic roof.

Re: New Scirocco owner, few issues.

Post by r.gbrown »

Bit weird for these to rust. Don't want to cause panic but do you know the history of the car? Has water got into the boot somehow :(
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

There isn't a lock for the window switch, so I assume it's faulty. Actually I've heard of a few passenger onrs on Sciroccos.

The rusted hooks is a very odd one and to.me points towards water ingress at some point, as said above.
mxgaza33

Post by mxgaza33 »

I don't know much about the history unfortunately as it was bought from a garage, with 15k on the clock I did not expect to see rust anywhere especially inside the car! I had a dig around and there doesn't seem to be any sign of water anywhere, so hopefully if there ever was an issue it has been resolved.

I'll have a look into removing the rear seat bench tomorrow to check there's not rust anywhere else and hopefully clean up the hooks at the same time. Not a clue how do this at the moment so feel free to post any helpful links :D
D C
I drive a: R-Line
Options: cruise, electric seat, 19"Luganos

Post by D C »

I'm not absolutely sure but these hooks look like the ones at the back of the rear seat squab.
The squab comes out by lifting the front edge then pulling upwards and forward once the seat is loose at the front, pull hard as its quite stiff.

Dave.
Dave.
Tim's Rocco

Post by Tim's Rocco »

Spooky. I drove past a dealer on the way into work this evening past a used car dealership. It was teeming with rain and every car behind the fence against the road had it's boot lid open in some kind if display. It may be as simple as that. I'd strip the carpet and lift out the spare or puncture repair kit and look for other evidence of damp.
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

I wonder if this may be quite a common thing, and a great spot by tim rocco! I recently bought some leathers for mine (long story) and while i was trial fitting them i had my cloth seats stacked up on top of each other and the metal hook your refering to left a brown mark on the seats!! In all honesty its not as noticeable as yours, nor do i see it as a problem but might be quite common?
Phil
moulin12
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Post by moulin12 »

philjay92 wrote:I wonder if this may be quite a common thing, and a great spot by tim rocco! I recently bought some leathers for mine (long story) and while i was trial fitting them i had my cloth seats stacked up on top of each other and the metal hook your refering to left a brown mark on the seats!! In all honesty its not as noticeable as yours, nor do i see it as a problem but might be quite common?
* visions of roc owners up and down the land popping out the front door to stick their head in the boot * :D
selleym
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Mirror Pack

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

Going out to check mine now ;)
mxgaza33

Post by mxgaza33 »

Dave - Thanks for those instructions, was expecting to have to remove atleast a few bolts but had the seat bench out in no more than 2 minutes!

Doesn't seem to be any sign of damp so hopefully Tim's right that it is just something silly like the boot being left open in the rain. There is a fair bit of what looks like salt crystals underneath though which is odd.

The result:

Now to get everything cleaned up and back together :)
selleym

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

Someone went to the beach wet salty things in the boot? Wetsuits or something?
Rob
In: Salsa Red
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Post by Rob »

selleym wrote:Someone went to the beach wet salty things in the boot? Wetsuits or something?
Either that or some other strange salty liquid all over the back seats :hyper:
selleym

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

Rob wrote:
selleym wrote:Someone went to the beach wet salty things in the boot? Wetsuits or something?
Either that or some other strange salty liquid all over the back seats :hyper:
HAHA oh dear!
Woody_

Post by Woody_ »

Hello,

I've recently been browsing this forum searching for things I have to pay attention to while looking for a Scirocco.

Today, I finally managed to test-drive one and it also had brown marks on both backseats, probably from flipping them over. As I had seen this post a couple days ago, I asked if I could have a closer look at the other Scirocco the dealer had for sale, and surprisingly it also had these marks, just less obvious. The car I drove has done ~9.000 km and the other one ~23.000, both 1 year old, so there shouldn't really be any signs of corrosion inside the car, right? Browsing through cars on the internet I saw yet another one having those brown marks on the backseat.

Could it be this is more common than people think and perhaps a manufacturing problem, more so than someone putting wet clothes into the boot? Maybe people just don't notice it because they never flip the backseats over so these rusty things leave no marks.

I am from Germany btw.

Anyone out there who got more information regarding this issue?

Cheers.
richardbenderz
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Flash Red

Post by richardbenderz »

I have this issue too. Very pronounced stains on the rear seats

Had my car from new. Less than 2 years old. Boot has never been wet

Would expect better from a German build
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

richardbenderz wrote: Would expect better from a German build
Scirocco is built in Portugal...
Roy_01
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

Strange, the part looks like brass or copper so must be somewhat sea water resistant.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

Roy_01 wrote:Strange, the part looks like brass or copper so must be somewhat sea water resistant.
It's steel, it's the corrosion that's making it that colour.
Roy_01
In: Sumatra

Post by Roy_01 »

On mine they are looking brass coloured and not rusted but think your right and it's just steel. Must be if they are that corroded?

https://picclick.de/VW-Scirocco-3-GTS-R ... id=1&pid=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maddogdave
Options: Xenon, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Bluetooth

Post by maddogdave »

Have the same issue with my 66 plate scirocco. Had it from new as a factory build, never had anything wet in the boot. Just seems to be a poor choice of metal. Maybe they were supposed to be plated or covered with a plastic sleeve and the factory or designers forgot because it's a hidden part.