Spilt Milk

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
YorkRoc
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box
Options: None

Spilt Milk

Post by YorkRoc »

Oh yes, for my very first topic on the forum, I've just managed to spill nearly a litre of milk on the back seat of the car :cry:, seems to have soaked right through. I assume it will all be sloshing round underneath.

Other than adding CoCopops <select cereal of choice> how do I remove the rear bench?

:(
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Spilt Milk

Post by Cuprabob »

Don't cry☺

Sorry can't help but welcome to the forum.
Lewis Miller
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by Lewis Miller »

Set the seat on fire the heat will cause he milk to scald then it can be easily removed.
YorkRoc

Post by YorkRoc »

Lewis Miller wrote:Set the seat on fire the heat will cause he milk to scald then it can be easily removed.
Hmmm no wonder you only drive a 122 :lol:
douglaslad
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by douglaslad »

I wonder are all 122 drivers careless enough to spill milk on their back seats.
lesvw123
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
Options: BCS R TWIN SPORTS CAT BACK EXHAUST
Votex front diffuser
road angel halo crash camera
Folding mirrors
90% rear tint
stage 1 remap Celtic tuning 199bhp
Pedal box
Rear camera
Vwr springs
Ispiri irs10 wheels 8.5 et 32
VWR panel filter

Post by lesvw123 »

If you have cloth seats gets some bicarbonate of soda pour over the spilt area and leave it for two or three days then vacuumn it and it will have absorbed the milk
Hope this helps
YorkRoc

Post by YorkRoc »

lesvw123 wrote:If you have cloth seats gets some bicarbonate of soda pour over the spilt area and leave it for two or three days then vacuumn it and it will have absorbed the milk
Hope this helps
Thanks Les, I'll give that a go, much appreciated. :yes:
moulin12
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Post by moulin12 »

Having split much less than a litre of milk in my old car, I would strongly advise you carry on looking for info to remove the rear seats and very other affected part that's removable, in order to clean. Bicarbonate of soda does help, but it's no cure all, and the stink that old milk leaves behind will make you want to sell the car! Be careful with how you clean any cloth upholstery and carpet, to avoid piling. Myself, I'd swallow the costs and get the car to a reputable detailer / valeting company to get the job fully done, using the right chemicals, and with a minimum of damage to the interior. May sound dramatic; but just writing from experience.
YorkRoc

Post by YorkRoc »

moulin12 wrote:Having split much less than a litre of milk in my old car, I would strongly advise you carry on looking for info to remove the rear seats and very other affected part that's removable, in order to clean. Bicarbonate of soda does help, but it's no cure all, and the stink that old milk leaves behind will make you want to sell the car! Be careful with how you clean any cloth upholstery and carpet, to avoid piling. Myself, I'd swallow the costs and get the car to a reputable detailer / valeting company to get the job fully done, using the right chemicals, and with a minimum of damage to the interior. May sound dramatic; but just writing from experience.
Yeah, valeting's the option if bicarbonate doesn't do the trick, that or chop it in for a 2.0TSI :D

Thanks.
lesvw123
In: Candy White
Options: BCS R TWIN SPORTS CAT BACK EXHAUST
Votex front diffuser
road angel halo crash camera
Folding mirrors
90% rear tint
stage 1 remap Celtic tuning 199bhp
Pedal box
Rear camera
Vwr springs
Ispiri irs10 wheels 8.5 et 32
VWR panel filter

Post by lesvw123 »

bicarb will work on the cloth part and will not harm the material ,its a tried and proven method on very expensive carpets and chairs but i would take the seats out and wash underneath or sell it before the summer as if you dont get it all it will stink
jackhay
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors, carbon dash trim

Post by jackhay »

Assuming it's the seat base that's wet and not the backs, it's very easy to remove. Get both hands under the front edge, pull forward and upwards, the front comes away and the whole thing can be pulled out. It's just clipped in place. (Whilst it's out you can fit sound insulation under there as I did - makes quite a difference.) In the standard car there is just painted metal under the seat base and if you have milk sloshing around this is where it will be. If the seats have absorbed it all then get them out of the car and do the treatment others have suggested, outside of the car, and let them dry outside the car too.
YorkRoc

Post by YorkRoc »

jackhay wrote:Assuming it's the seat base that's wet and not the backs, it's very easy to remove. Get both hands under the front edge, pull forward and upwards, the front comes away and the whole thing can be pulled out. It's just clipped in place. (Whilst it's out you can fit sound insulation under there as I did - makes quite a difference.) In the standard car there is just painted metal under the seat base and if you have milk sloshing around this is where it will be. If the seats have absorbed it all then get them out of the car and do the treatment others have suggested, outside of the car, and let them dry outside the car too.
Is it that simple to pull the bench out? yes it's soaked in to the base not the back. I thought you had to undo some torcx screws to get it out or is that the backs? Can't see any under the seat base. Thanks for the advice. :)
D C
In: Viper Green
Options: cruise, electric seat, 19"Luganos

Post by D C »

moulin12 wrote:Having split much less than a litre of milk in my old car, I would strongly advise you carry on looking for info to remove the rear seats and very other affected part that's removable, in order to clean. Bicarbonate of soda does help, but it's no cure all, and the stink that old milk leaves behind will make you want to sell the car! Be careful with how you clean any cloth upholstery and carpet, to avoid piling. Myself, I'd swallow the costs and get the car to a reputable detailer / valeting company to get the job fully done, using the right chemicals, and with a minimum of damage to the interior. May sound dramatic; but just writing from experience.
This is the best advice you have had, again based on my own experience.
It's unfortunately not a trivial problem and needs dealing with instantly.
My spill was in the boot of my Mercedes a few years back and un-noticed for a few days until the smell became appalling. I ended up binning the carpet and pressure washing the whole boot interior and in spite of that and constant use of air fresheners, for the two years I owned the car after that, on hot days I had to hold my breath when I opened the boot.
I've never ever carried milk in a car since then!
Dave.
Dave.
aandrew
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather, parking, VW kick plates, metal pedals, GT refinements

Post by aandrew »

Start looking on eBay for new seats mate, from experience it's the only way, in fact I'd remove them now before the smell starts and it will, come the spring and it gets warmer it will increase ten fold.
jackhay
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors, carbon dash trim

Post by jackhay »

YorkRoc wrote:
jackhay wrote:Assuming it's the seat base that's wet and not the backs, it's very easy to remove. Get both hands under the front edge, pull forward and upwards, the front comes away and the whole thing can be pulled out. It's just clipped in place. (Whilst it's out you can fit sound insulation under there as I did - makes quite a difference.) In the standard car there is just painted metal under the seat base and if you have milk sloshing around this is where it will be. If the seats have absorbed it all then get them out of the car and do the treatment others have suggested, outside of the car, and let them dry outside the car too.
Is it that simple to pull the bench out? yes it's soaked in to the base not the back. I thought you had to undo some torcx screws to get it out or is that the backs? Can't see any under the seat base. Thanks for the advice. :)
YorkRoc, you have probably tried it anyway by now, but yes, it really is that simple to remove the seat base. No tools are needed. The back is harder.
YorkRoc

Post by YorkRoc »

jackhay wrote: YorkRoc, you have probably tried it anyway by now, but yes, it really is that simple to remove the seat base. No tools are needed. The back is harder.
Hi Jack,

Only just done this, been in Germany over Christmas, was easy enough. Reckon I'm going to need a new seat base though :eyepop: a little whiffy in there. Will look on eBay. Thanks again. :yes:
YorkRoc

Post by YorkRoc »

Ok, I'm struggling to find a replacement, any ideas chaps? eBay says no. Colour is black cloth. :)
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

A new one from TPS might not be as expensive as you think, especially if it's cloth.
YorkRoc

Post by YorkRoc »

Cuprabob wrote:A new one from TPS might not be as expensive as you think, especially if it's cloth.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply, isn't TPS for trade only though?
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

YorkRoc wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:A new one from TPS might not be as expensive as you think, especially if it's cloth.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply, isn't TPS for trade only though?
In theory yes, but many will sell direct to the public. It's never been brought up at my local branch whenever I've bought anything.