How do you know if a Roc is a GT ?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
jackhay
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors, carbon dash trim

How do you know if a Roc is a GT ?

Post by jackhay »

Hi everyone,
When I bought my MY2010 Roc earlier this month I was confident I was buying a GT model. The car supermarket selling it did not appear to know it was a GT, which helped me to get a good price, I think. I checked all the specs for MY2010 and this car has all the GT features so I am confident it is a GT. So is a car a GT just because it has all the features, or could it be a base model with extras? Is there any way to tell? There is no clue on my car's V5 and I have decoded the build sticker without getting an answer. Insurance companies treat the GT as a separate model so it appears to matter, a bit, anyway. Thanks for any clues you can offer!
Gaz r
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Vienna leather
Rear parking sensors

Re: How do you know if a Roc is a GT ?

Post by Gaz r »

Mine is the 2.0tsi petrol and my v5c shows it as a 'scirocco gt'. If that helps at all.
jackhay

Post by jackhay »

Thanks gaz r, mine shows 'scirocco s-a' and I think s-a means semi-auto, i.e. dsg, but no mention of GT. However I think I have all the GT kit! This is a puzzle.
skippy
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Yes - mine also shows GT on the V5, you are correct the "SA" does mean Semi-Auto for DSG equipped vehicles, but I know some guys on here have manual gearbox but "SA" listed as the transmission type!
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

skippy wrote:Yes - mine also shows GT on the V5, you are correct the "SA" does mean Semi-Auto for DSG equipped vehicles, but I know some guys on here have manual gearbox but "SA" listed as the transmission type!
One of which is me. Mines a manual but v5 says auto.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Dubvrs
In: Deep Black
Options: XDS activated
Rain closure
Beep on unlock and lock
Panoramic roof
DAB
Rear parking sensors
Tan Vienna leather
Yeti tail pipes
Led number plate lights
Black VW badges
Golf GTI pedals

Post by Dubvrs »

Mine says Scirocco GT TDI on my V5
x.laura.x
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by x.laura.x »

Yeah it should say scirocco GT TDI.... also you can tell if you have sat nav? Bluetooth? i'm sure there a couple of examples of what you get extra for a GT model....
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

x.laura.x wrote:Yeah it should say scirocco GT TDI.... also you can tell if you have sat nav? Bluetooth? i'm sure there a couple of examples of what you get extra for a GT model....
Neither Sat Nav or Bluetooth would be standard in a MY2010 GT car.

Bluetooth only became standard after Aug 2011 and Sat Nav along with.leather was only standard on the last "run out" GT cars before the launch of the facelift model
shshivji
In: Opal Silver
Options: panoramic roof and cruise control

Post by shshivji »

Cuprabob wrote:
x.laura.x wrote:Yeah it should say scirocco GT TDI.... also you can tell if you have sat nav? Bluetooth? i'm sure there a couple of examples of what you get extra for a GT model....
Neither Sat Nav or Bluetooth would be standard in a MY2010 GT car.

Bluetooth only became standard after Aug 2011 and Sat Nav along with.leather was only standard on the last "run out" GT cars before the launch of the facelift model
Black headlining and tinted rear windows are also standard on all GT scirocco's

Shak
Shaun1982

Post by Shaun1982 »

My cars supposed to be a gt but I've got a light headliner. Shows on insurance & that as a gt too

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I think black headlining is only for GTs with leather trim. Cars with cloth get light coloured headlining I believe.
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Cuprabob wrote:I think black headlining is only for GTs with leather trim. Cars with cloth get light coloured headlining I believe.
When I was specing a car up 2 years ago black headlining was a optional extra
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

whiteDevil_170 wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:I think black headlining is only for GTs with leather trim. Cars with cloth get light coloured headlining I believe.
When I was specing a car up 2 years ago black headlining was a optional extra
Interesting as that wasn't the case when I specced and bought mine in 2011
shshivji
In: Opal Silver
Options: panoramic roof and cruise control

Post by shshivji »

Mines cloth but has black head lining :-/

Shak
jackhay

Post by jackhay »

My MY2010 car has the foglights, dual zone climate control, highline computer, leather (option) with black headlining, multifunction wheel, tinted rear windows... can't think of anything missing from the MY2010 GT spec, except nowhere does the car or its V5 say GT!

My theory is that what goes on the V5 is what the first-registering dealer puts there and they do get it wrong (as with the manual cars that have s-a on the V5). My car wasn't registered until 6 months after the build date and I bet the dealer forgot what he had got.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

jackhay wrote:My MY2010 car has the foglights, dual zone climate control, highline computer, leather (option) with black headlining, multifunction wheel, tinted rear windows... can't think of anything missing from the MY2010 GT spec, except nowhere does the car or its V5 say GT!

My theory is that what goes on the V5 is what the first-registering dealer puts there and they do get it wrong (as with the manual cars that have s-a on the V5). My car wasn't registered until 6 months after the build date and I bet the dealer forgot what he had got.
It's not the dealer who has made the mistake if the details are wrong it's the importer who provides the corresponding information for each VIN.

A lot of different dealers would have had to have got it wrong with the batch of 170 TDIs that are classed as S/A when they are in fact manuals. Not withstanding it's all one model of car affected. When I noticed mine was wrong I blamed my dealer and he showed me the paperwork that was used to register it and that said it was a manual.
jackhay

Post by jackhay »

Cuprabob wrote:It's not the dealer who has made the mistake if the details are wrong it's the importer who provides the corresponding information for each VIN.

A lot of different dealers would have had to have got it wrong with the batch of 170 TDIs that are classed as S/A when they are in fact manuals. Not withstanding it's all one model of car affected. When I noticed mine was wrong I blamed my dealer and he showed me the paperwork that was used to register it and that said it was a manual.
Thanks cuprabob, I stand corrected on that.

I still don't know how to tell for sure if a car is a GT, however!
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

You could give VW Customer Services a call with the VIN and see if they can enlighten you on the build spec.
aandrew
Options: Leather, parking, VW kick plates, metal pedals, GT refinements

Post by aandrew »

Isn't one of the option codes on the boot / handbook sticker a "GT" code ?
jackhay

Post by jackhay »

aandrew wrote:Isn't one of the option codes on the boot / handbook sticker a "GT" code ?
I thought so too but when I decoded my car's sticker (using the excellent tool linked to in the 'decode build sticker' thread), I couldn't find any code for the trim spec. Interestingly the build sticker calls the car a 'SCIROCCO SPORT' and I had thought, when I bought it, that SPORT was the German designation for a GT. But (and I must be getting a bit obsessed by this) I looked at three Sciroccos in a different supermarket on Friday, one GT and two non-GT cars, and all three had build stickers with 'SCIROCCO SPORT' ! So now, not only do I not know how to spot a GT, I don't know what SPORT on the build sticker means!

I am starting to think that if a car has all the GT equipment [for the appropriate model year], then it is a GT, and there's nothing more to it. Unless anyone knows differently...