Nosie Problem / Question

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
aarondavies1310
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Heated Leather seats, dual-zone climate control, sat-nav, privacy glass, REVO Stage 1 re-map.

Nosie Problem / Question

Post by aarondavies1310 »

Recently there has been a noise appearing whilst on the move at all different speeds and from previous experiences it sounds very much like a wheel bearing.... I managed to get time to jack the car up and spin all wheels to determine which one/s needed replacing! turns out that none of them were making a noise that allowed me to identify which ones had failed.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone else have any suggestions on what it could be.

Thanks in advance
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Nosie Problem / Question

Post by Cuprabob »

It will be abnormal rear tyre wear. Common problem, so either swap front to back or replace rear tyres and problem will disappear
AaronMc
In: Candy White
Options: Black Pack inc 19" Luganos, Piano Black Dash Inserts, Heated Vienna Leather, Dynaudio, Scirocco R Pedals, Parking Sensors, Needle Sweep Activated, Black VW Badges, Debadged, H&R 35mm.

Post by AaronMc »

As above tyres will be 'stepped'.

Look on the inside edges, and you will probably find they have worn significantly more on that edge than across the rest of the tyre.
aarondavies1310
Options: Heated Leather seats, dual-zone climate control, sat-nav, privacy glass, REVO Stage 1 re-map.

Post by aarondavies1310 »

Ok Its due to have new tyres on the front anyway so is it worth putting the new ones on the back and moving the old ones to the front?

When the new tyres are fitted or swapped isit worth getting the tracking ang allignment done?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

The concensus is that new tyres should be put on the rear, as it's easier for the majority to manage understeer than oversteer. Therefore put the new ones on the rear.

A 4 wheel alignment does no harm but if it's to.factory setting you probably will still get abnormal wear in the rear. It's a feature of the platform and rear settings.

VW's solution is to regularly rotate the tyres front to back.
skippy
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Yes - agreed, new tyres on the rear for the reasons given by CupraBob. This is often a point of argument on different forums but the car is much more likely to oversteer with 'grippier' tyres on the front.