DPF Removal - Pro's and Con's

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Tymondo
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

DPF Removal - Pro's and Con's

Post by Tymondo »

Morning lads/ladies

Needing all youre expert knowledge and opinions on this as i literally have no knowledge other than research myself.

Toying with the idea in the new year of having the DPF hollowed out and just wanted to know the pro's and con's. It seems like a no brainer really apart from the MOT, More power and economy?

I thought this was a good read - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-spor ... y-dpf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Re: DPF Removal - Pro's and Con's

Post by skippy »

I don't like that idea at all. Being a cyclist as well, a car without a DPF is likely to emit all kinds of nasty cr*p.

Don't really care about increase in power, it's the emissions problem that will result I would be concerned with.
Gray170TDI
Options: Used to have one

Post by Gray170TDI »

You will get black spots all over the back of your car after starting the engine , very noticeable on a Candy White :(

You will get a little smoke on hard acceleration, the MOT should be fine as long as the DPF box is there as they don't actually test the emissions for presence of a DPF (yet).

You will need a remap to remove all ECU's regen instructions. From what I have read, you only get around 10bhp from removing the DPF so it's up to you whether it's worth the outlay :nod:
Tymondo
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

So.. the general consensus is its a bad idea.

I posted owners site too and only had negative replies. Im not going to bother.

Think i sold the idea to myself last night but on a second think about it :shrug:
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;