What alloys/steelies will fit? What do 16" Steels look like

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Pheo
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box

What alloys/steelies will fit? What do 16" Steels look like

Post by Pheo »

Looking at winter tyres; just wondering, how do I know what size alloys or steel wheels will fit a 2009 Scirocco GT 2.0TSi normally fitted with 18"?

Obviously My Tyres etc will recommend some, but I'd love some external validation they're correct!
Last edited by Pheo on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Re: What alloys/steelies will fit?

Post by wigit »

Worth a look for wheel and tyre sizes

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/filea ... 2_engl.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried to ascertain from MyTyres yesterday who actually made their steel wheels as I wanted Alcar KFZ's for my Polo, call centre were no use and waiting a reply on e-mail query, annoying as they send them fitted (and were excellent when i wanted just tyres previously), in reality i may pay a bit more for Openeo who send separately but with them i know what i am getting and had a bit more confidence

Also VW UK are not much use as blissfully unaware of the above link
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Pheo

Post by Pheo »

Stopped being a div and checked Roccopedia, although obviously its difficult to know for sure that info is correct.

Why are you concerned about who makes the Steelies? Anything I should be worried about?

Also, anyone know what a Scirocco looks like with 16" steels and trims, not alloys? about another £100-150 for alloys from myTyres instead of steelies, trying to work out if its worth it!
Pheo

Post by Pheo »

wigit wrote:Worth a look for wheel and tyre sizes

http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/filea ... 2_engl.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried to ascertain from MyTyres yesterday who actually made their steel wheels as I wanted Alcar KFZ's for my Polo, call centre were no use and waiting a reply on e-mail query, annoying as they send them fitted (and were excellent when i wanted just tyres previously), in reality i may pay a bit more for Openeo who send separately but with them i know what i am getting and had a bit more confidence

Also VW UK are not much use as blissfully unaware of the above link
Thanks for the link BTW, useful to prove to ins-co that I've bought OEM Spec Alloys & Tyres so they can't complain (ABI memorandum of understanding which admiral have signed up to indicates you don't need to ask if you fit OEM spec!)
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Pheo wrote:Why are you concerned about who makes the Steelies? Anything I should be worried about?
I'd done some reading and had a preference for Alcar given german and TUV stamps, Openeo give you a choice of wheel supplier.

I'm not fussed about running steelies (did so on my Fiat 500), i've got a spare set of alloys in need of a refurb if i need to put a set on one of our Golf's
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
scimitar
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: parking sensors, folding mirrors, climate control ,big alloys, leather,
headlamp washers. Dynaudio, flat tyre sensors CD changer

Re: What alloys/steelies will fit? What do 16" Steels look

Post by scimitar »

I have a set of winter tyres on steels I used them last winter- amazing difference- tyres are Vredstein Snowtracks, got mine thro Openo - must admit they don't look as pretty but who cares when you are sailing past rest of traffic stuck in snow

Buy your tyres and wheels now- they cost much more once the snow starts
Better with a slightly narrower tyre and higher profile
Pheo

Post by Pheo »

scimitar wrote:I have a set of winter tyres on steels I used them last winter- amazing difference- tyres are Vredstein Snowtracks, got mine thro Openo - must admit they don't look as pretty but who cares when you are sailing past rest of traffic stuck in snow

Buy your tyres and wheels now- they cost much more once the snow starts
Better with a slightly narrower tyre and higher profile
Not worth the extra for the alloys then? was uhming and ahhing because there might be better resale on the alloys? What do you guys think?

Was planning to go for 16", 205/55/r16 size tyres as this seems to be what VW recommends based on the stuff above.

Take it you don't have any photos!
scimitar
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: parking sensors, folding mirrors, climate control ,big alloys, leather,
headlamp washers. Dynaudio, flat tyre sensors CD changer

Post by scimitar »

I've got 205/55/16, Still got summer tyres on at moment so can't send photo. Steel wheels are black and I think look ok against white car. I did get some wheel covers but they look crap!
You could get a set of cheap alloys to fit the tyres but might deteriorate in winter weather.
Steel wheels are same spec as for VW Eos- not Golf
In theory you need to tell your insurance company but if they try and increase your premium insist on talking to their supervisor- all insurance companies like winter tyres
You might be pleasantly surprised at how good the ride is on the higher profile tyres
chelspeed
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sold it!

Post by chelspeed »

Anyone know if the 16" steelies would fit the R? Does it have bigger front brakes than other models?

For my previous car Focus ST I got Kuga 17" steels off ebay which fit OK despite standard 18" wheels. Would like to do the same again but unsure whether I need 17" or if 16" would do.