A safe, switched 12v Supply?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
maq
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: 19" Black Luganos/Style Pack, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensor, RNS-510 + VIM patch, VW Bluetooth & A2DP, Cruise Control, Aluminium Pedals

A safe, switched 12v Supply?

Post by maq »

Dear all

I've got an idea for a mod which would require adding an extra 12v socket in the interior of the car, but in order to do so I need to find a switched 12v supply that is only active when the ignition is on.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction please? I'm guessing its possible via running some new wires from the fuse box, but don't really know where to start. I'm tempted to avoid anything like running wires off the existing 12v socket, as I'd like to do it properly and ensure this is done properly and is also safe from blowing/overloading anything if there were too much draw with both sockets in use.

Any help appreciated :)

Thanks in advance
Maq
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: A safe, switched 12v Supply?

Post by trix »

anything of use in http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... v+ignition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
maq
Options: 19" Black Luganos/Style Pack, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensor, RNS-510 + VIM patch, VW Bluetooth & A2DP, Cruise Control, Aluminium Pedals

Post by maq »

Trix, that is extremely helpful, thank you. I remember reading the thread a long time back but had forgotten about it.

For anyone else interested, there is also some good info at my-gti.com too..

I better start ordering my parts!
john250666
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red

Post by john250666 »

Forgive me if im wrong but Chris"s DVM circuit would be permanently live , and not swiched by the inanition key?
J
maq

Post by maq »

Yep that's correct, but he also talks of using the fuse box for switched 12v, and one of the linked pictures explains more. Very helpful
john250666

Post by john250666 »

oh right i missed that one !!
maq

Post by maq »

It's pretty helpful, as I've now seen I can do a quick install using a piggyback connector off the front of the fusebox, so I can mess around and test, and not have to pull the fusebox out until I'm sure I want to make it permanent. good news :)
john250666

Post by john250666 »

What is it your doing? if you dont mind me asking?