Daylight running lights

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Topaz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Daylight running lights

Post by Topaz »

Has anybody had any luck in turning these off when the option is not available in the display menu?
I have tried, using the manual as a guide, by holding the indicator stalk in the required position, but to no avail.
Any insight would be much appreciated.Many thanks.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Daylight running lights

Post by Cuprabob »

It can be done using vagcom / VCDS

The procedure you describe only works on older cars.
Last edited by Cuprabob on Fri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Post by RisingRoc »

Topaz wrote:Has anybody had any luck in turning these off when the option is not available in the display menu?
I have tried, using the manual as a guide, by holding the indicator stalk in the required position, but to no avail.
Any insight would be much appreciated.Many thanks.
Depends on age of car:

From the legendary RW1 "Older stalk method below is valid for Sciroccos upto Build Week 44/09 (---> 01.11.09.). After that its VCDS or even later Scirocco's with the MFD "untick" method."

1. With the ignition off, push the indicator stalk down and pull it towards you (as if putting the left indicator on and flashing the full beam at someone). Hold it in this position (your indicator and full beam will be activated)

2. Now turn the ignition on with your key (still holding the indicator stalk in the position above).

3. Count slowly to five and you should hear a chime.

4. Turn the ignition off and release the indicator stalk and put it back in it's central position.

To turn them back on just repeat the above but with the indicator in the up position (right hand indicator on)

Older is via VCDS:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/roccop ... ating_DRLs

Mine is an '09 plate which also needs VCDS to turn them off as the stalk method doesn't work.
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Thanks for the reply, My car is a 12 plate. I just tried that procedure as you and the manual outline. I hear no chime and the lights stay on. Can't work out what I am doing wrong. It is only ignition and not engine on isn't it?Thanks again for your time.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Topaz wrote:Thanks for the reply, My car is a 12 plate. I just tried that procedure as you and the manual outline. I hear no chime and the lights stay on. Can't work out what I am doing wrong. It is only ignition and not engine on isn't it?Thanks again for your time.
As said above, the procedure described only works for older cars so won't work on a 12 plate.

You need vagcom or VCDS
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Many thanks. I shall take it into the garage.
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Topaz wrote:Many thanks. I shall take it into the garage.
A garage or dealer wouldn't do it. Unless the garage had vagcom. Dealers have different software to vagcom. You would proberly need to find someone local or willing to help do it for you. Or buy vagcom for yourself
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Topaz - where are you located? As per advice above y0u will need to find someone with VCDS to do this - dealers refuse.
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Mark V wrote:Topaz - where are you located? As per advice above y0u will need to find someone with VCDS to do this - dealers refuse.
Hi Mark,

I am on the London/Essex borders mate. Still thinking about this as I don't mind the running lights on in Winter. Shame it is not a user controlled function.
Thanks.
RisingRoc
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Post by RisingRoc »

Hi Topaz - pretty sure (and Mark V will confirm) that if the DRL's are turned off in VCDS, the AUTO light function still works - ie the lights will come on when it's dark in winter no problem.
robinalex
I drive a: GTS TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Cruise control
Pano Roof
RNS315
Winter pack (heated seats / headlight washers)
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Electric seats
Parking Sensors
Bi-Xenon headlights with cornering lights
K&N filter
H&R 35mm
12.5mm Black anodised hubcentric spacers
Milltek Non-res catback
R-Tech Stage 1

Post by robinalex »

Mine's an early 09 and the indicator stalk method does not work.
aesmidz

Post by aesmidz »

Had mine deactivated at non VW garage, VW said it can't be done, more like they won't do it!,,,
Auto lights work fine after mod
ScottC25
In: Flash Red
Options: Lisbon Alloys

Post by ScottC25 »

My car was registered in march 09 which suggests built sometime before that, has a red mfd and it doesn't work for me either :-(. Any suggestions??
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Scott you will also need vagcom

More useful roccopedia link http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/roccop ... ing_Lights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScottC25

Post by ScottC25 »

That sounds like a female medical treatment....
ScottC25

Post by ScottC25 »

I take it that this involves laptop and software etc connected to the car.

Any suggestions where in Glasgow this can be done??
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Yes correct laptop and software connected to the obd port..
http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uk seller http://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
ScottC25

Post by ScottC25 »

Ouch, I'm not spending all that just to switch the lights off. I'll live with it!!
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

ScottC25 wrote:Ouch, I'm not spending all that just to switch the lights off. I'll live with it!!
There is a lot more you can do with it.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Dougal16
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by Dougal16 »

RisingRoc wrote:Hi Topaz - pretty sure (and Mark V will confirm) that if the DRL's are turned off in VCDS, the AUTO light function still works - ie the lights will come on when it's dark in winter no problem.
Morning all

I confirm that if you use a garage that has Vagcom, and they disable the Headlights from coming on with the sidelights as DRLs, then the AUTO light function still works OK. The sidelights then stay on as DRLS .

I run a 63 plate 2.0 GT Diesel Auto Scirocco, I live in East Sussex, close to the Kent border and there is an excellent VW privately owned garage (with Vagcom) in Tunbridge Wells, hope this helps.

Best wishes all,
Dougal