Replacement wheels for Scirocco

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Polar
I drive a: R-Line
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Replacement wheels for Scirocco

Post by Polar »

Have Scirocco GT with 19" interlagos. Just ripped another tyre (damage shown below) on a submerged pot-hole - this is the second time I have lost a tyre to pot-hole damage, and I do drive carefully on roads where the surface is not good. Also has to replace tyre because garage found split on the inside (whilst doing a service)

Although the tyres look great, I just cannot afford having to replace them. I'm already reluctant to park where I might accidentally kerb them. So wondering if I should replace the wheels with those that will take ordinary tyres. Any ideas/suggestions?

trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: Replacement wheels for Scirocco

Post by trix »

Hi polar :welcome:
you won' have 19" interlagos as the standard interlagos wheels are 18", its the sagittas or luganos in 19" ( http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/roccop ... nal_Wheels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) unless they are aftermarket as iirc there are interlagos'a'like reps available in 19"

what do you mean about 'ordinary tyres'? you could change the wheels for a smaller size & therefore the tyres would have a larger profile which may be a bit cheaper but you are still going to be at risk of potholes unfortunately.

Trix
Polar

Post by Polar »

Thanks trix . My wheels must be the Lugano as the tyres are 235/35 /ZR19 91Y. My car was an ex-demonstrator and had extra bits and bobs.

Yes, I mean a larger profile so that the risk of kerbing is less - sorry, as you have guessed, I'm not an expert on tyres (or cars).

I'm going to my VW garage tomorrow so will see what the options are . Maybe I should just avoid country roads.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

I'd suggest seeing how you go for now but really try to read the road ahead not just in front of the car & keep out of the edge :)
A new set of wheels & tyres is going cost you 1k plus & even more if you go through the dealer! They will just have pound signs ringing up in their eyes!!
Polar

Post by Polar »

Regarding reading the road, I rounded a corner and saw water on my side of the road. Slowed down because I was expecting trouble :eyepop: . I couldn't go round it because of traffic on the other lane. Unfortunately there was a submerged pot-hole - don't know what else I could have done. I was only doing about 10 - 15 mph - beginning to wonder if the tyre was faulty. Will be reporting it tomorrow and going back with camera once my tyre is fixed.

Yes - you are right, the garage will only have £ signs. They did sell me the tyre though, so want to see if it was faulty (worth a try)

Sorry if appearing grouchy, your advice is valuable. I'm just fed up with some of the roads, realise that the rain has been beyond the Council's control but wish they would put up warning notices until the pot-holes are fixed.
Polar

Post by Polar »

Just come back from garage and have quotes for new tyre and replacement wheels and tyres. I asked the engineer to have a look at all of my tyres to see when they would require replacement. He said the back Pirellis didn't have much wear but there was slight crazing on the top of the side wall. He said that was not an immediate problem but eventually it would cause leaks.

Is this something to worry about? Sorry to be such a pain with questions but I don't know enough about tyres to make a judgement.
tony4147
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS510 SatNav/BT, Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Factory Mats

Post by tony4147 »

I have the 19" wheels as my car was pre reg, I have had the car since December and put a bulge in the sidewall of a tyre with a pot hole (£200). I'm trying to claim off the council but I'm not that hopeful.
I was very uneasy about the 19" wheels when I bought the car and tried to get the dealer to swap them for 18" but he would only give me £200 for the wheel/tyre set, so I decided to keep the 19".

I certainly wouldn't specify 19" on a car out of choice.

It's easy for people to say read the road ahead, but it's not that easy at night on dark country roads and even worse if it's raining.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

These days, trouble is, pot holes are no longer just on the back roads but are also prevalent on A roads / dual carriageways and motorways.

For me the state of our roads have taken away all the pleasure of driving.
Polar

Post by Polar »

I know exactly what you mean Cuprabob. I love driving my Scirocco but the worry of finding something unexpected on the road has reduced the fun of driving.
Paralla
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

I have also had to replace two tyres due to pothole damage, thankfully the rims have been fine but it does hurt financially.

If I could choose again I'd go for 18's with the slightly taller sidewalls rather than 19's.

The best I can manage is to always make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure and I have the suspension in comfort unless I'm really cracking on in the hope that it will soak up bumps better than if it was in normal or sport
Brummy

Post by Brummy »

Is there that much difference between the 18's and the 19's? I'm on Interlagos at the moment and was thinking of changing to Luganos!
tony4147
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS510 SatNav/BT, Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Factory Mats

Post by tony4147 »

Brummy wrote:Is there that much difference between the 18's and the 19's? I'm on Interlagos at the moment and was thinking of changing to Luganos!
Well I've had 18" wheels on a couple of cars in the past and I never wrote off a tyre. Because of the lower profile with 19" there is less compliance in the tyre wall should you hit a pothole.

If I was you I would keep the 18"
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

I've had two tyres and need a new alloy too, it's buckled and yes I selected them out of choice. Never tried to claim off the local authority, it's a bit of a tricky one to do. Have done road humps before via the supermarket, got one at the moment with the retail park that has installed humps which don't confirm to regs.

If you are risk averse then stick with the 18s
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

As others have said, with 19's and 35 profile tyres you are more at risk than with the standard 18's. I've had pothole punctures on my GT with 18's and R with 19's over the same mileage. My pal with a GT and 18's has also had this problem. I'm afraid the more miles you do, the areas you drive in and the types of road all have a bearing. Some of the roads have been chronic this year and have had me cringing.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....