Lights permanently on ??

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
M4CES
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Lights permanently on ??

Post by M4CES »

Had the scirocco a week now and the headlights are permanently on even when the light switched is off.

I have got normal headlights not xenons and wondered if it is a function I am missing on the mfd ??

Any help ? I have searched forum but can't find anyone else with this problem

Aaron
char
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Re: Lights permanently on ??

Post by char »

Its the Scirocco style of Daylight Running Lights (DRL).. ie they are just on, always :)
robinalex
I drive a: GTS TSI
Options: Cruise control
Pano Roof
RNS315
Winter pack (heated seats / headlight washers)
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Electric seats
Parking Sensors
Bi-Xenon headlights with cornering lights
K&N filter
H&R 35mm
12.5mm Black anodised hubcentric spacers
Milltek Non-res catback
R-Tech Stage 1

Post by robinalex »

It is something Vw did to pre-empt the new 2011 rules about daytime running lights and is normal. When you get in the car you have to switch the headlight button to the sidelight position so just the two little front corner lights are on even during the day. When you get out of the car you switch back to the '0' position. It is a bit annoying at first but I have had my Scirocco for two weeks now and have got used to it. There may be a way of turning them off through VAGCOM depending on the model you have.
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Yep they are allways on apart from if you turn the switch to sidelight position. Or you can use vagcom to change it so the switch will work as normal switch, off meaning off.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

This annoyed me too, along with probably 99% of this forum. Look in the VCDS section of the forum, you might have someone who lives near you willing to tweak the coding for you. I assume you don't have VCDS already.

I feel pretty smug now when a 'rocco driver goes past in broad daylight with their headlights on ;)
carlpea
In: Reflex Silver

Post by carlpea »

I just move to the sidelights during the day as I prefer the dash lights to be on all the time.
Yorkie1
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Night Blue

Post by Yorkie1 »

To be honest, it's never bothered me.
Shorum
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Dynaudio

Post by Shorum »

I have the lights on the auto position and the button never moves. I found it a bit odd at first, but 2 years on and I find other cars odd that don't have their lights on ;)
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

robinalex wrote:It is something VW did to pre-empt the new 2011 rules about daytime running lights and is normal.
Only 'normal' inasmuch as all halogen headlight Rocs are set up that way from the factory. VW might have tried to pre-empt the DRL regulations but they need not have bothered as the regulations turned out only to apply to completlely new designs of cars going through type approval after the February 2011 cut off date. In other words there is no requirement for the Scirocc Mk.3 to have any form of DRL or 'headlights on' during the day in the UK, regardless of when it was built!

As a consequence its perfectly OK to change the settings using VCDS so that the headlight switch operates as normal (ie - as per the indications on the rotary switch).
dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

carlpea wrote:I just move to the sidelights during the day as I prefer the dash lights to be on all the time.
My dash lights are on most times anyway with the adjusted settings (and lights stay off). It does go off occasionally though, and I like that just because the meter needles all stay lit and it looks good when you suddenly hit shade and can see it glow.

Little things excite me :p