iPod connectivity WITH CD Changer

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
true
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

iPod connectivity WITH CD Changer

Post by true »

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to find a straight answer for this - can an iPod be connected to an RNS510 that has a CD changer in the armrest? One dealer has told me it can and the iPod cable comes into the glovebox, another dealer told me it can't be done at all, and another told me it can be done (they think) but the sound quality isn't very good!

Even if the CD changer had to be removed, what would be involved in getting the iPod hooked up to the headunit so it can be controlled through it?

TIA
rehmondo
In: Candy White
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Re: iPod connectivity WITH CD Changer

Post by rehmondo »

There is an option to have the interface cable in the glove box - so your VW USB/ipod cable will plug into that. link below will open an additional accessories brochure from the German site - you will find a screen shot of the item I'm talking about in there (see page 10).

Here's the link: http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/filea ... b_GB_2.pdf
true
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

rehmondo wrote:There is an option to have the interface cable in the glove box - so your VW USB/ipod cable will plug into that. link below will open an additional accessories brochure from the German site - you will find a screen shot of the item I'm talking about in there (see page 10).

Here's the link: http://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/filea ... b_GB_2.pdf
Looks like I could fit a MEDIA-IN (p/n 5N0 057 342) but it doesn't say anything about compatibility with a CD changer too :(
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

true wrote:
rehmondo wrote: Looks like I could fit a MEDIA-IN (p/n 5N0 057 342) but it doesn't say anything about compatibility with a CD changer too :(
Not so simple...
You can fit one yes, but it won't work with the CD changer which will have to be disconnected.
In addition it won't read song information for some reason even though the original that comes in the arm rest does, in which case you might as well just use the Aux-in to play your iPod.
Jonny96
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Premium mats, Premium sills

Post by Jonny96 »

Thats right, had it fitted in my old GTI! It's not that good really, maximum of 5 playlists and the 6th plays your whole ipod. Really hard to find tracks. Probably the same in the Scirocco. I'd stick with the standard cable!
true
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

Hmmm, disappointing. Has anyone fitted the standard iPod connection (in lieu of a CD changer) themselves? Surely it's just got to be some wires! I'd be happy to remove the CD changer and sell it on ebay. Can anyone have a look on ETKA?
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

The retrofit kit is now listed in the Scirocco Brochure under dealer fit items.

Description Multi Device Interface (MDI) retrofit interface unit

Part Number 5N0 057 342

Price Inc Vat £138.00

Not 100% sure whether this retrofit kit is for the armrest or the glovebox?

I am pretty sure the CD Changer from the armrest can be removed & disconnected and replaced with the MDI as they use a common connector on the vehicle harness. I have heard that you may not get the same funtionality with the retrofit kit compared to if you had the MDI factory installed, best check on the forums / with dealer.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
true
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

If it doesn't work as the factory fit MDI does (reading song info etc) then I'll look for an alternative, but I don't fancy spending £138 to find out! Surprisingly enough the dealer doesn't really know.
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

true wrote: Surprisingly enough the dealer doesn't really know.
Not really... (suprising that is!)