Help please.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Yorkie1
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box

Help please.

Post by Yorkie1 »

As a Newbie, hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I have a 60 plate 170 Diesel that was factory built and delivered mid-October 2010. Great car that has now done 50,000 mainly motorway miles.

I have 3 issues I hope others can tell me how to get over or convince me are normal.

1. Since delivery, I've always got rubbish MPG. Anything slightly over 45 mpg on the car computer (which is optimistic!) is a bonus and the best ever is about 47 mpg. I'm not a boy racer and usually sit on the motorway nowadays at just under 80 mph. Try not to brake hard as I catch others up preferring to lift off or kill the cruise and lose speed. Get roughly same mpg whether use cruise or don't. Recently did a North East, Scotland, Cumbria and back home to the Midlands (3 fill ups) where, due to bad weather, was doing 60 to max 70 mph a lot of the time but got less than 40 mpg for 1 tank and less than 42 mpg for the others. MPG seems to be getting worse but dealers not interested.

Is this normal or is there a way of sorting it?

2. Recently replaced the front tyres for the 2nd time (using the original fit Pirelli ones with the gung in) and decided to put the new ones on the rear and put the original rears on the front. But the inner edge of the original tyres had worn funny so that there's like bumps on that inner line of tread. Tyre fitter said that this is normal for VWs although I've not experienced it before. Anyone else had this or can explain it?

3. Recently the media feed from my mp3 player thing is not recognised by the radio each time you start the car unless you unplug it and plug it in again which is a real pain. At recent service, dealer changed the lead but this hasn't fixed it. Anyone else experienced this or can explain it?

Thanking anyone who responds in anticipation.
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Re: Help please.

Post by RisingRoc »

1. Yeah this sounds a bit low. One guy in here I think had found an error in the calibration of the computer on his which was throwing off the MPG reading.

2. Yeah this is common. Do a search on here for tyre wear. There's a few discussions on it. Adjusting your tyre pressure seems to help.

3. Is the MP3 player ok with other devices?
Yorkie1

Post by Yorkie1 »

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1. I'm anal enough to work out the mpg manually too (always fill/brim tank) and have found the computer over states each tank's mpg, sometimes by 2 or 3 mpg. If I want to drive like a hooligan, can get the mpg down to the low 30's!

2. Thanks for the reassurance. Had a quick look before I posted but didn't immediately see anything obvious on this subject. Will look again.

3. Yep mp3 player seems ok when checked it. Before the dealer "fix", did try another mp3 player and had the same problem with that too. Sounds as if a return to the dealers coming up in the near future.

Thanks again.
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Post by RisingRoc »

Yorkie1 wrote: 1. I'm anal enough to work out the mpg manually too (always fill/brim tank) and have found the computer over states each tank's mpg, sometimes by 2 or 3 mpg.
Computer is always generous with the mpg. 2-3 is about normal. If you were closer to 10 out then I'd think the calibration could be out.
Fifer
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Opal Silver
Options: Reversing sensors, cruise control

Post by Fifer »

Interesting. Mine is always out by about 5-7mpg using the anal method outlined above (12 plate BMT).
carlpea
In: Reflex Silver

Post by carlpea »

Check the link below for an updated MDI firmware (Issue 3.)

http://www.my-gti.com/3148/volkswagen-m ... e-upgrades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a similar issue with my car (but to be honest not as often) and a firmware update fixed it

:).
Yorkie1

Post by Yorkie1 »

carlpea wrote:Check the link below for an updated MDI firmware (Issue 3.)

http://www.my-gti.com/3148/volkswagen-m ... e-upgrades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a similar issue with my car (but to be honest not as often) and a firmware update fixed it

:).
Thanks for that. Now if I just understood it all!

Trip to the dealers I reckon.

What I don't understand is it worked ok for ages then suddenly became a problem.