Help please smashed drivers wing mirror

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Ste_Wales
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Winter pack

Help please smashed drivers wing mirror

Post by Ste_Wales »

Very upset as I was coming home from work a bus came towards me, there seemed to be enough space, especially as i pulled to the left of my side of the road but he must have come over the central line and completely smashed my mirror. my passengers were willing to be witnesses but apparently this is not allowed there were no other witnesses. the bus driver didnt stop so i went after him, he didnt stop after repeatedly flashing i overtook and the put my hazards on and then he stopped. he denied everything. I told him i wanted to take a photo of his reg, which he agreed to and then i asked if i could take a photo of him because he was smiling and obviously thought it was funny! Obviously he disagreed to this. His was in a small v reg bus and he didn't get out to check damaged to my or his vehicle.

So I am finally starting to realise that I'm going to have to pay for this. My excess is £250, probably not worth the hassle of going through small claims court!

The mirror is smashed, the cover and all casing smashed, I think the motor and mechanism for moving the mirror might be ok but that's all, probably best to get a whole new unit? Any ideas of cost and where I could get one?

Thank you ;o(
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Help please smashed drivers wing mirror

Post by RW1 »

Sorree to hear. This will give you an idea. Link

But would have thought your claim is against the bus company???? Have you approached them about the matter?

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Dazza_666
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: GT, Bi-Xenons, Heathed Leather, RNS510, 18" Interlargos, Folding Mirrors, Dipping Mirror, MDI, ACC, Dual Zone Climate, Luxury Mats, MFSW, Bury Bluetooth Kit.
Mods: K&N Panel Filter, Bluefin Remap, Amber Side Lights, LED DRL's, Focal Door Speakers.

Post by Dazza_666 »

^^ Contact the bus company. They usually have cameras on them now so could be lucky. Worth a shot!
Ste_Wales

Post by Ste_Wales »

The driver was the company owner. They are a small village outfit no cameras. He knew full well what had happened is just going to deny everything to try his best to get away with it! Bus was a crappy little v reg so obviously he doesnt care about his vehicle which wasn't even marked with company info.
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Where abouts is this company? Could always administer some self justice..

Sorry to hear that. At worse I hope it's only the mirror unit (which can be replaced fairly easily), and there is no other damage to your rocco.
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
Ste_Wales

Post by Ste_Wales »

Thanks cakebandit, company is in ffestiniog, I've calmed down enough now not to do anything stupid!
bonsaisumo
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Sunroof, leather, parking sensors, Dynaudio

Post by bonsaisumo »

I had a similar experience, but with a very different outcome. In my case, the paintwork was damaged, but the mirror itself was intact.

As with you the bus didn't stop. I wrote to the bus company (a local independent firm),asking them if they could look into it. They replied within a couple of days, saying that they had spoken to the driver, who had no recollection of hearing anything, and there was no visible damage to their bus. They said that, as both vehicles were moving, insurance companies were unlikely to put the blame on either party, with the inevitable effect on my NCD if I made a claim on my policy.

I wrote back acknowledging what they said, but asked if they would consider repainting the mirror in their bodyshop as a goodwill gesture. To my delight, they agreed to this, whilst stressing that they were not admitting liability.

A very satisfactory outcome, showing the benefit of a courteous approach to them. At least it was satisfactory until three weeks later when some pratt came haring down the road the other way one Saturday afternoon and succeeded in wrecking the whole unit - so back to square one!