The story so far... Niggles to giggles

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
easyrider
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: sensors, folding mirrors, cup spoiler, pano roof, cruise, 19s, leather, rns510, power seat, xenons, LED interior/exterior & puddle lights, vwr springs, fluffy driver's glovebox, aardvark

The story so far... Niggles to giggles

Post by easyrider »

Just thought I'd share my first few weeks of buying and ownership of my used black GT.

Started out smoothly enough - visited a dealer near me in North London, had a nice test drive; black 2.0 GT, vienna. friendly staff, no hassles but the car had 45k miles and this was a bit too much for me. Somehow sub 30k seemed right. Shopped around and found one, 25k on the clock, test drove it and loved it (naturally!) but a few things caught my eye.

Firstly, I was under the impression all UK GTs shipped with Interlagos 18s, and these we Spa 17s, and the chrome on the exhaust pipe was kind of charcoaled and had lost it's shine. The lack of rear parking sensors bothered me, too, as rear visibility in the back concerned me, and it's going to spend a lot of it's time in the city where space is always tight. Still, lovely car though and with this mileage and black with leather very appealing.

I asked the salesman if he could pop some Interlagos' on and sort the parking sensors out for me - the North London dealership would take £500 off their sticker price so what could he do? Well, not change the wheels, as the car came 'as is' (a kind of package deal they obviously don't want to mess around with) and if I wanted sensors that would be the same as matching their £500 off. Hmm, not really, as theirs had the wheels and the sensors already on, I thought, plus the discount. Almost at the point of walking away I managed to wangle another £100 off, we shook hands, I paid the deposit. Chuffed. The wheels would cost me less in tyres and I'm bound to kerb them at some point anyway. Hey, I'm a realist and I park on city streets.

In the week it took them to put the sensors on I had a big hunt around and found loads of info on scirocco central, so thanks for the help, folks! :) Turns out I think it's one of the pack cars mentioned in another post, and is a UK spec GT.

Link: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... oys#p95694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Went to pick the car up, the salesman said, 'Have you seen this? Try and open the petrol flap.' So I pushed it ... and it opened. "Aah, um, that's not supposed to happen - it's meant to be locked. That's the first time I've ever seen that not work." Not a biggy, and covered by warranty so it can be done at any point, though could do without another trip out!

Drove off and home, and around for a couple of hundred miles over the next day and absolutely loved it - a blip on the throttle and the motorway traffic just slides away, and the heated Viennas are just awesome after my back-acheing Rover 200s nightmares. All was good, then someone jumped out in front of me without looking and I pushed the horn. Silence. A day later I noticed the black rubber trim above the driver's side door handle was flapping off the bodywork.

I started to think I'd spent all my hard-earned money on a Friday car. I mean, at what point in VW's god-knows-how-many-point inspection did someone not press the horn? That's an MOT fail. Checked it in with VW the next day in North London. The staff were great and really understood how my initial excitement of having this awesome car had slid away with these problems.

Two days later they'd put a new clip on the rubber window seal, a new motor in the petrol flap and fixed the horn - apparently it was an ill-fitted wire that had worn through. Any help here from a rocco central pro would be good - I don't know where the wiring routes to so if anyone can expand on this or let me know what may have caused it please let me know! :) They couldn't clean the exhaust trim but suggested wire wool (which would surely scratch it, right?). Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of this charcoaling? May just replace them and see if it happens again?

Anyway, my sweet black GT is back now and today the snow began to thaw! So if you see me gimme a flash - I'm in the right car with the wrong wheels!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by easyrider on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Victor's thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: @quietresonance
Mark V

Re: The story so far... Niggles to smiles

Post by Mark V »

Welcome Easyrider and nice write up on your purchasing experience. If you want the Interlagos wheels there is a full set of originals on Ebay at the mo and you could sell your 17" set to offset the outlay. All cars have little niggles but looks like you have managed to get them sorted. Your right - don't use wire wool on chrome exhaust tips - take a trip to your local motor factor or Halfords and pick up some Autosol metal polish!

Are you planning any mods, additions or vagcom tweaks?
easyrider
Options: sensors, folding mirrors, cup spoiler, pano roof, cruise, 19s, leather, rns510, power seat, xenons, LED interior/exterior & puddle lights, vwr springs, fluffy driver's glovebox, aardvark

Post by easyrider »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, not planning any mods yet - still getting used to the power it's already got... having said that, though my last car did end up with a Milltek exhaust, and a K&N air filter kit, so never say never, eh?

Still think I'd like 18s on it, though they won't happen yet, reckon I should get used to it's size first, and maybe sacrifice the Spas without worry. When I do get 18s I doubt they'd be Inters, there are definitely nicer wheels out there I think!
Victor's thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Well its a lovely car as it is! Apart from performance tweaks there are lots of other worthwhile things to do - best thing I ever did was fit the RNS510 sat-nav - brilliant bit of fully integrated kit! The little Vagcom enhancements such as alarm beep, needle sweep and sorting out the stupid 'lights permenantly on' function are cheap tweaks too - most peoples patience witht the lights only lasts about two weeks - although its less silly at this time of year when they will come on automatically anyway for much of the day!

Hope you enjoy getting used to the car :-)
Mem

Post by Mem »

Hey easyrider,

Nice write-up. Which dealer was this, out of interest? New Southgate?
easyrider

Post by easyrider »

Uh-oh, now I need the alarm beep and the needle sweep is categorised under 'vital'. :) And today I was fiddling with the DRLs which means I'm probably going to lose those too, come summer. Is it easy to do? Can a VW dealer do it, or is it using a pc laptop and VAGCOM?

Only other things I can think of adding would be red or blue footwell lights to match the computer and the silver/aluminium tread plates, then maybe I'll Bluetooth it - that kind of got overlooked in the excitement of purchase. Already got the nice carpets though - so much nicer than rubber ones! :yes:

Still need help on what causes the exhaust blackening, worried it's an engine thing - anyone?
easyrider

Post by easyrider »

Mem,

Bought it from Caffyns down near Brighton - this place missed the horn, the rubber seal and the petrol flap, but the salesman was really polite and all the admin was done perfectly and really fast; two weeks after owning it had my V5. Alan Day in North London fixed it for me quickly and took me on the first test drive. Yes, New Southgate.
Mem

Post by Mem »

Great - they're my local too. Will give them a visit soon to see if they have an R I can take for a test.
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

Exhaust blackening is very common on TFSI engined cars (Golfs suffer from it as well), nothing to worry about, just a "feature" of VAG's TFSI technology.

Actually very fine wire wool and Autosol is actually a very effective solution for cleaning up blackened exhaust tips. Have a look over at detailing world, they use it all the time.

Nice car BTW and welcome to the friendly world of Scirocco ownership.
easyrider

Post by easyrider »

Cool, mem,

Enjoy, and if you get the R (which no doubt you will after driving it) let me know what to look out for and I'll see you on the A406! :yes:

Sootchucker, thanks! So glad to know it's a feature not an issue. Will do a before and after pic and then monitor for others.

Cheers for the warm welcome, peeps, loving it!
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Welcome to the forum, and nice write up. I can relate to some of it.. suffice to say the car has been faultless. Hope that gives you a bit more confidence anyway :D

For your tips, I would suggest using a microfibre polishing cloth (1 dirty, to apply the polish, and one clean, to buff it clean.) I use THIS polish.

They give this result:

Enjoy :D
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
easyrider

Post by easyrider »

Thanks, Cakebandit, when the weather dries up a bit I'll spend an afternoon polishing them up - if i can get them half as shiny as yours I'll be amazed - seriously nice wheels you got there.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

:welcome:

Glad we've been able to assist in your journey so far :)
Any exhaust is going to go black over time, if you put some elbow grease in to get it clean, protect it with a little wax and clean it weekly then it will stay abit cleaner.
Your car is probably going to be too old to have the needle sweep activated its only possible on post 2009 week 45/mid nov builds. If the dealer is nice they may do vagcom changes but more likely they will say they don't know how to or charge you labour time so better to see if there is someone in your area with it. (the dealer system is not the same therefore instructions aren't identical for it)

S
easyrider

Re: The story so far... Niggles to giggles

Post by easyrider »

Thanks, Trix, won't be doing it soon, but thanks for the info! :yes: