Wheel sizes, baffled...

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Vorlich

Wheel sizes, baffled...

Post by Vorlich »

Placed a deposit on an 09 2.0tsi DSG in viper green yesterday. :D

My intention is to run the Interlagos rims in summer, but swap for 16" wheels with winter tyres over the winter months. As I understand it I can fit 205/55r/16 MSW 22 black editions, according to http://www.performancealloys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The wheels are 16/6.5. I don't really understand the 6.5 figure and have seen references in the roccopedia pages about '6.5J' and 'ET42', but I don't quite know what these figures refer to. Offset? Or something else?
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Re: Wheel sizes, baffled...

Post by Deacon »

6.5 is the width in inches and et42 is the offset -the lower the number the more the wheels stick out.

Hth
playing in my '86
Vorlich

Post by Vorlich »

Thanks. I've doing some more reading and it appears the MSW 22 has an offset of 45, which would result in a -19mm move of the outside of the wheel. I'm not sure how this would look, but I reckon all else being equal, less offset would be more desirable aesthetically, say 35 or 30?

Thoughts?
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

41 is the stock offset with an 8" width. Around a 35 offset is good with an 8" wheel to fill the arches out more.
playing in my '86
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

With a 6.5" wheel with a 45 offset you'll have 15mm more inner clearance but the wheel will be 23mm further into the arch than stock. Not great aesthetically!

Try http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find out what different widths and offsets will do.

Hth
playing in my '86
Vorlich

Post by Vorlich »

Thanks again. That's roughly in line with the results I got from a different calculator. Obviously narrower winter wheels are better for the job [and cheaper], but I guess there will be some level of compromise required. I was hoping to avoid using spacers, but 23mm is a lot.
Vorlich

Post by Vorlich »

Ok, I've been thinking more about this and have decided to get 17s rather than 16s.

Looking at black MSW 17x8 running 225/45R17 Conti Ts830s. I believe the wheels have an ET35 so should fill the arch more as you say, +6mm. Anyone know if that will protrude beyond the arch or not? I want ensure it will be legal.
Vorlich

Post by Vorlich »

Bump. Can anyone advise on my question in the post above? Would _6mm over the standard 18/8 Interlagos be legal?
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

My 18's are 18x8 +35 and are fine. Those will be the same just smaller.
playing in my '86
Vorlich

Post by Vorlich »

Appreciated, thanks! :)